1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012, non-entune radio question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cpaul, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    cpaul

cpaul [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CT, US
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Double Cab Sport SB
    Picked up my 2012 yesterday and am having trouble getting the BT Audio to sync with my iPhone 4. I can get the telephone part connected, but not the audio. Anyone do this yet and have steps to follow that worked for them?

Also, is there a way to query the phone book in the phone, or do I have to add them separately?

This is not the entune radio - but is the TRD model truck.

Thanks!

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    munkeeboi

munkeeboi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Burbank
    since I am one of the 5 members that has one :D, I can help you with a short summary of getting BT Audio

Start off by deleting any existing pairings of the iphone

press "talk" on the steering wheel - say "setup"

Go to "pair phone" and confirm.

When it detects the iphone, it should actually be called "car multi-media" on the iphone.

follow the prompts and the car will ask you if you want bt audio as well. Say "yes" and complete pairing.

You know you've done it right when you see the signal bars, BT, and a musical note on the right side of the screen.

Sorry it's missing a lot of steps, but I'm going from memory when i removed my android (which couldn't do the BT audio) and paired my iphone 4s.

Pandora works perfectly on it and displays the song title as well, haven't tried songs actually on the iphone since i haven't had a chance to sync up yet

Still have no clue on the phone book

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    cpaul

cpaul [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CT, US
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Double Cab Sport SB
    Thanks, munkeeboi. Turns out that it wasn't working for me until I did a reset on my network settings on the iPhone. It started working after that.

Thanks for the help!

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I don't know about the Iphone stuff - dont have one. I do know from messing around with my son's ipod that you can have an MP3 player OR a phone connected but not both at the same time.

As for the phonebook - I don't think it can query the one on the phone. At least, it can't on my Razr. However, the car acts like a headset, and if you use the phone to place the call, then the handsfree works as you'd expect.

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    munkeeboi

Member:
    Burbank
    I have an ipod connected via usb and my iphone connected via bluetooth. just gotta press the aux switch to toggle between them

6. Nov 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Arkansas Traveler

Arkansas Traveler New Member

Member:
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Base
    I have exhausted much effort into trying to solve the problem with simultaneously pairing an audio device and a phone via bluetooth, i.e. iPhone 4 and iPad. After failing to solve the problem on my own, I spent an hour and a half at the dealership with everyone from sales to the service dept. They ended up calling the "guru" that trained them and supposedly worked in engineering on the devices. The dealership decided that two devices can't be paired at the same time. You can choose either an audio device or a phone to be paired but not both at the same time. The guy they called said the iPad was not compatible. However, I find that it pairs fine as an audio device, so he lost credibility with me. I would like to know if anyone has solved the issue. As it stands, I can connect the iPhone as a phone and enable internal audio to get it to play music and work as a phone, but I can't connect an additional iPod without disabling the phone.

7. Nov 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    munkeeboi

Member:
    Burbank
    Just connect the second ipod via the usb connector. I would tend to agree that it makes sense that the radio doesn't differentiate which BT connection is for the phone and which one is for the audio, so it only allows one device to be connected.

8. Nov 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    Arkansas Traveler

Arkansas Traveler New Member

Member:
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Base
    Thanks for the input munkeeboi. I was trying to eliminate the wire web on the console and that was my hope for bluetooth multi-pairing. Apparently, if the vehicle is equipped with entune, it will work that way.

I have a Sena bluetooth device wired into my motorcycle helmet that pairs four devices and differentiates between each one and will even prioritize each by importance when multiple channels are active at once. I was just imagining that technology, $160 for the sena, would easily have been incorporated into the function of the Tachoma bluetooth setup.

9. Nov 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    munkeeboi

Member:
    Burbank
    Yeah. I'm still hoping that it's a hidden function that someone can find, but for now, I went to eBay to buy a black retractable cable to keep the wires clean

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    Dan44

Dan44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    012 Tacoma 4X4
    I took my droid to the dealer and the sales manager did it for me.

11. Oct 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    ty8s

ty8s New Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 Texas Edition
    According to Toyota not all features work with the iPhone. Details can be found here http://www.toyota.com/connect/

12. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    Hello everyone, I have seen people post this same question several times so I thought I would toss in my experiences with this. I have the Type B stereo (not sure, do not have manual with me) Anyway it is the non-JBL with BT. I had an iPhone 4S and now an iPhone 5. I am not a fan of the android. Both iPhones work great with the BT.
    If you have the phone connected BT but not the audio player do as Monkeeboi suggested and delete the phone from the setup menu on the stereo. Go back through the paring process and near the end it will ask if this phone will be used as an audio player, say yes and that is it. once you see the icons on the stereo show it is connected, open Pandora on the phone and you should be streaming. on the Stereo you can pause and play. you will need to "like" songs and skip on the phone directly.
    If you use the phone while you are playing music or use the GPS, the music will pause for the call or GPS commands.
    This connection will work with any streaming audio app on the iPhone so you can play music from your "Music" app as well and even IQradio.
    It is true that only one BT connection can be established at a time so if you have an iPod or iPad that you wish to use through the stereo at the same time you have the phone connected, simply connect the audio device through the USB port and select the aux imput on the stereo.
    All iOS4 and up devices should work fine, so iPad 2 and above. However, I think all iOS devices like iPad1 will also work.

Alternatively, (I have not tried this yet) I think that if you put mp3 songs on a thumb drive and plug it into the USB port, you should be able to play from it as well. you will have to do a trial and error with the folder structure to see how many layers the stereo sees. Also, there may be a size limit on the USB thumb drive (something like 16gig and it will not see 32gig (again not sure).

For contacts, I have not discovered a way to have the stereo see your contacts, I normally use Siri to do all my dialing. Simply pushing the talk button on the steering wheel will not activate Siri. You could add all your contact manually into the stereo through the setup interface but that is way taxing. I normally use the home button on my iPhone to activate Siri and then I can talk to here through the BT.

I hope this helps

Taco_koma likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top