1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Rattles.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by johnnief, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
    Its just a rattle. Get a friend to ride with you down a bumpy road and have them check all over the place.

2. Jan 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    onepremiere

onepremiere I Tinker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Left Coast
    - Dash Rattles, just started! 7K Miles (I can replicate the sound by pushing/rocking the dash back and forth) Hesitant to let the dealer mess with it because it will come back to me worse than before.

- Head Rest Rattle, haven't had time to solve that one.

- Driver Side Window when cracked, which every Tacoma i've owned has done.

3. Jan 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    joe54tacoma

joe54tacoma Joe in Indiana

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Albany Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 DOUBLE CAB TRD Sport
    Mine rattles at the rear passenger side near the area where the seat belt retractor is located. I pointed them to the exact location the sound is coming from. (Had my wife drive while playing detective)
    So far I have taken it to the dealer twice. They blamed it on some slide in accessory behind the rear seat and pulled them out and put them in the pocket behind the seat.
    Of course it still rattles and why are they pulling parts off my truck.
    Thank you Jeff wyler toyota.

4. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    REDLARIAT

REDLARIAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Pikeville, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 Green TRD Sport w/ Chrome Wheels
    ARE bed cover, Chrome step bars, Tinted windows, Bull bar, Painted front spoiler, Chrome fog light rings, Chrome handle covers, TRD exhaust tip, TRD brake light cover, Custom hitch plug, Leather seats, Heated seats, Wood trim, Custom gun mount
    No rattles yet with 13,000 on the clock.

5. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Romo7493

Romo7493 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Media, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Black
    Don't worry about the rattles just put in new speakers and stereo and turn it to 11. Problem solved!

6. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    TACOconvert2012

TACOconvert2012 My truck hates you. My wallet hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    SC'd 2012 MGM TX/Pro 4x4
    never ending..
    20k miles on mine and the only noise mine has is on acceleration at highway speeds. If i roll the throttle on slowly till it downshifts i get some kind of rattle/loose chain sound. from what ive read its "possibly" the vvt-i... i dont really buy it but idk. dealer has tried to recreate it and somehow something i can do on demand is impossible for them to make happen. they checked everything including the knock sensor for events and it was clear. so im at a loss. the advisor i deal with her localy said if anything comes about from it its in their records so i would be covered by warranty and hes been up to his word so far. they just re-sealed my windshield today when i got my 20k free service because i did have the windshield. everyone that sees what the truck can do stock is amazed. enjoy these GREAT trucks guys!! :)

7. Feb 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    conquistador

conquistador Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner
    My damn drivers door window started rattling today while it rolled up and down. I'm really starting to question the build quality of these trucks. I've owned 8 toyota 80's and 90's trucks over the last decade and none rattled as much as my 2012. I'm seriously thinking about ditching this thing before it gets worst and look for a 1st gen Tacoma with low miles

8. Feb 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    I hate rattles!

12Tac

9. Feb 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I have never had a Toyota with any major rattles, including my 2012. My wifes 1998 Sienna was rattle free after after 200K.

10. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    my driver side visor rattles in my 2013 less than 3 weeks old!
    if i shake it there seems to be something loose inside, like a screw or broken plastic piece

11. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    yarro

yarro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off Road DCSB
    TREX Eyelids. RIGID Fogs Toyota Skid Plate. AVID Light Bar. Rigid SR 20"Combo LED bar OEM Toyota Running Boards, LEER Canopy RIGID Roof Rack - COMPLETE. FJ cruiser Switch panel install in center isle. (4 new slots for OEM switches) Glove box & Center counsel Lighting with amber switch.
    Its a offroad truck it should rattle;))

12. Dec 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    My 2012 has about 22,000 miles in it and it rattles everywhere.... everywhere. Windows rattle over bumps (i thought it was because i have i channel visors but apparently I'm not the only one) the doors rattle/can feel them move over speed bumps and stuff. The window switches rattle with a little bass from the in door speakers. My dash/windshield rattles when it gets cold. My passenger seat back/headrest rattles like crazy when no one is sitting in it. I'm pretty sure some new ones are developing in the C-pillars too. Yea, at first I was supper pissed but am now accepting it I guess. I used to keep it perfectly clean and waxed but I am learning to accept that it is a truck. It is appliance, not a sports car, and that's just that. Don't get me wrong, I still park out really far and keep the body free of dents, and the inside is still cleaner than most peoples cars but the rattling makes me feel less and less bad about using it like, well, a truck, so I guess that's good. I was planning on decking it out and eventually wanted to save and put the trd supercharger in, and maybe a mid travel kit, and all sorts of fixins' but at this point I just feel I'm gonna use it and see how many miles I can put on it. It should be good for that if it doesn't rust out up in Michigan...:p we'll see.

13. Dec 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    dealer replaced it under warranty

14. Dec 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Mexican Made Toyotas Rattle

15. Dec 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    The only thing that rattled with my 2012 so far was the chain that hold the spare tire since its not a cable anymore, a few zip ties did the trick with the hanging chain, oh and the drivers side window when it is fully up rattles for some odd reason, but I've come to live with that lol

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  16. Dec 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    "You guys need to chuck the factory head unit, blow the speakers up, start more rattles, then drop a nice set of components set at 60% volume and enjoy your rides. Touché"
    1. I don't think that is really the proper application of the word "Touche" as that generally means that you made some sort of crafty counter proposal... or something... Perhaps voila is better suited if you want to stick with the French motif.
    2. Yes, because I've been looking for a way to get that thing all the cool kids have. What is it again, oh, right, tinnitus.
    3. I have the JBL system and from what I understand it is a pain to install an aftermarket stereo. One thing i really hate about the JBL's is they really don't sound great under like 25. Living up to the name JBL>Junk But Loud.

17. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    jmhv3158

jmhv3158 New Member

Member:
    phoenix
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner SR5
    I hope this help my 2005 tacoma had a ratlle in the driver side, I didn't where it comes from so I took apart the all dash. I didn't find any think then eventualy just by accident I hit the column (d/s ) and sure that it' s where the ratlle came from. At one time I got the windshield replaced, it seams to me that they squeezed to much that the plastic cover on the column was to closed to the windshied causing the ratlle I just forced a litle piece of foam between them and problem solved

18. Oct 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    ProPhaze777

ProPhaze777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yakima,wa
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd offroad black
    I think I've traced my rattle to the overhead console, looks like I'll be searching a how to on removing it and seeing if a harness is flipping around. If not then it's the center dash

19. Oct 7, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    johnnyman1

johnnyman1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR PRE
    nerf audio
    My rattle in the overhead console ended just being my reading glasses. Took me two hours to figure that out. LOL.

20. Oct 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I had a rattle in my "11" it was very annoying keeping me up at night just thinking about it I was ready to trade the truck in then I took the tire gauge out of the glove box to check the tire pressure and it did not rattle any more. I would say get a Lexus but it probably would rattle too.

Products Discussed in

To Top