1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 SeatBelt Chime....AHHHH ! !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sastockman, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Oct 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    sastockman

sastockman [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Thanks.....

It is in fact a custom option on page 586 in the 2012 Owner’s Manual....I missed it. I knew the dealer was feeding me a line.

I ALWAYS buckle up on public roads but there are special circumstances.

For the rest of you.....Enjoy buckling up your groceries.:p

2. Oct 29, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Could you post the procedure. Maybe it will work on 2011.

3. Oct 29, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    textoy

textoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    my dealer disabled mine. To each his own but i drive off road a lot at slow speeds, in and out opening gates, and carrying a large lens and camera in the passenger seat. I'm not going to deal with the belt in those situations. I'm been religious about wearing belts on public roads for over 45 years.

4. Oct 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    sastockman

sastockman [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    From my understanding, the following procedure should work for 2008-2011. For 2012 models, it requires a trip to the dealer for a software mod.

Good Luck...

-KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKES THROUGH ENTIRE PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -get in truck and shut the door.
    -turn key on and get your insterment panel on ODO and turn key off.
    -turn key back on, as soon as u do that press reset knob.
    -hold reset knob for 12_15 seconds and fasten seat belt.
    -xxxx miles should turn to b_on.
    -release and press one time, it should say b_off.
    -wait for it to reset back to miles and turn key off.

=seat belt chime should be turned off.

5. Oct 29, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    my dealer disabled the chime for me at no cost when i went in for my 5k service

the seatbelt indicator still flashes if i dont have my belt on but no annoying beep beep beep beep

6. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Does not work for my 2011

7. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to appear.

8. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    after extensive research both here and elsewhere, i learned there is no easy other option, other than a dealer that WILL perform disabling the chime, if you have a 2011 model with the WHITE gauges. my dealer disabled it for $50, and i've been happy ever since:) some immediately lambasted my paying to have it done, or having it done at all, yet for me it was well worth it---------there are times when having this mod done is wonderful. op, like others have recommended, try another dealer;)

9. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD off road
    So, I know this sucks, but here are your options:
    wait through the beeping, it does stop eventually
    if there is someone/thing in the passenger seat and the beeper is going off, lift it (them) up for a second, it goes away, when the car is moving, not sure if you can trick it otherwise. My dog sets off the passenger seat alarm every day, i get her to go in the back seat and it goes away for the duration of the ride.

10. Oct 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    sastockman

sastockman [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Just got back from the dealer....The Master Toyota Tech was able to disable the seatbelt alarm in my 2012 Taco with his laptop for both front seats in about 5 min. Toyota doesn't "like" doing it, but it is an option in the 2012 Owner's Manual on page 586.

Dont take NO for an answer.....:D

11. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If they didn't like doing it, it would not be an option. I do it all the time,no questions asked.

12. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    Sunburst

Sunburst Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Headwaters of the Everglades
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
    Revtek 3" lift, HID Headlights/Fogs, Tinted windows, Leather Seats, Weather Tech floor mats & Side Window deflectors, LED lights
    This may come as a surprise to some but imagine actually driving your Tacoma 10 hours a day "OFF ROAD" with max speeds at a roaring 15 mph. I farm for a living on 3,000 acres and the idea of wearing a seat belt as I get in and out of my truck 100 times per day is about as appealing as a ten foot rectal thermometer..

There are times when wearing a seat belt makes no sense at all except to appease the "panty police" that design today's soccer mom trucks we drive. If your hitting the highway yes put it on, it can save your life but they can still take the seat belt chime and stick it at the end of that ten foot thermometer....

13. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I did it on my truck, Step 8 was: Start the truck, NOT: wait for it to reset back to miles and turn key off . And you are missing one step, Step 5.

14. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    787tester

787tester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Everett, wa
    Vehicle:
    11 double cab trd long bed
    The OP was asking for a procedure to shut off the seat belt chime. I would like to see the procedure for shutting up the idiots in the crowd who cannot seem to help themselves and post the stupid " just buckle up " garbage.

15. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Actually it was the most simple procedure/solution. What exactly is your post doing to help the thread solve the problem?

16. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP had dealer fix. this thread should be closed.

17. Nov 2, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    [QUOTE-KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKES THROUGH ENTIRE PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -get in truck and shut the door.
    -turn key on and get your insterment panel on ODO and turn key off.
    -turn key back on, as soon as u do that press reset knob.
    -hold reset knob for 12_15 seconds and fasten seat belt.
    -xxxx miles should turn to b_on.
    -release and press one time, it should say b_off.
    -wait for it to reset back to miles and turn key off.

=seat belt chime should be turned off.[/QUOTE]

this worked for me, my instructions on this mod where the same except for when I got to the "b-off" stage I just turned the ignition off, I did not wait for it to reset to miles. But as mentioned, the dealer can do this and re set many other things with that computer...I forget where I saw it, here or on another forum, but there is a list of things that can be altered like this with the dealer computer. If you go to the dealer to do this mod, and when you find a dealer that will do it for you, at that point ask the tech what other options you have to change "stock" settings while he is doing the seat belt mod. There may be other things you can do at the same time while he is doing this. :cool:

18. Nov 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Also, I just disconnected my battery during service, and like the radio and clock settings, you will have to go back and re do this everytime you disconnect the battery. :( Maybe when they change the settings at the dealer they become "permanent". Maybe someone who has had the dealer do this for them would know. :confused:

19. Nov 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Where ever it is default, that's what it goes to.
    Just don't disconnect the battery.
    OR
    If you want to do a service just use a jump pack or small battery charger (2 amp) and just keep the charger hooked to the cables as you remove and clean terminals and posts.

Some of you (like me) have done the power outlet on all the time mod. this makes it possible to use a memory saver in the outlet. I have not done it to confirm all the settings stay but I don't see why it would not. then you don't even need a charger or jump pack.

SR-71A likes this.
  20. Nov 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    If you get any details on the memory saver please post them. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top