1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Taco Overrated?? New truck Review.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOJAM, Apr 6, 2012.

?

Do you think the 2nd gen Taco is overrated?

Poll closed May 6, 2012.
  1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No

304 vote(s)
    67.9%
  3. A little bit

83 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

And again, offroad is about the ONLY metric in which midsizers outdo fullsizers.

Which is why I own what I do.

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I want the lifestyle of the toyota truck that weighed 600-800 lbs less than the fat pig the Tacoma is now. I blame Dodge with the Dakota, there used to be small and large to choose from, nows there's Large are HUGE.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    And again, that's why I bought my Tacoma (2 actually).

David

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Uh, while Dodge does suck, I don't think they deserve the blame. Fatass america deserves the blame. Vehicles have been steadily creeping larger across ALL segments for 30 years now. My current Corolla is larger in every metric than my 1992 Accord was.

Our current Tacos are just a couple inches off a mid-90s F150.

You can find signs of it everywhere. Everything's getting bigger, especially our waistlines.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
  6. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Appljaxx

Appljaxx This guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Pro
    My last Tacoma was purchased for 27700 and sold 5 years later for 20000. It really doesn't seem that expensive to me.

What would a ford be worth after 5 years?

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I think he hit it on the head at the very end "it's a very capable truck, but most people are going to be driving on highways"

I certainly wouldn't have picked a Tacoma if I wasn't concerned about off-road use, plenty of cheaper and better gas mileage vehicles for running up and down the highway, but if your looking for one of the most capable off-road vehicles that can still run you and the kids to the grocery store, then you'd be hard put to find a better vehicle - well worth the admission price imo

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD Sport V6
    His review....snore.

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    tacojpklx

tacojpklx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC OR, Magnetic Gray, 6spd
    toytec lift (eibach, bilstein 5100 at 0, Recall springs +Sumo Springs) seat covers, tint, weathertecs, shrokwork sliders, brute force rear bumper, in bed hi lift.
    I agree with him that the crew cab version tacoma is lacking versus the fullsizers. However, compare a Ford/Chevy ext. cab with an AC Tacoma and the Tacoma holds it's own. Those full sizers still have the same sucky scissor doors and they aren't exactly cavernous in the back. Neither the tacoma nor the full sizers are practical for people. Might as well go for the cheaper purchase price and minor mpg improvement of the Tacoma AC. I chose the tacoma because I only needed an AC cab. I also wanted a stick shift, low curb weight, nimble feel, and off road capability from the locker/atrac. Those attributes aren't available in the full sizers. If you're getting a truck to move people and/or drive a lot of highway miles, the tacoma makes no sense to me. A Chevy or Ford full size rides better, tracks better, and are more capable handling loads and trailers.

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    yup :D

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I don't think I'll be taking any reviews from this guy considering he can't even figure out the simple rail system. Fanboy or enthusiast, whichever people want to call it, we all bought the Tacoma for a reason. He's just one person who has his own preferences on what he likes in a truck and obviously the 2012 Tacoma doesn't line up with his expectations. We all bought the Tacoma for our own personal reason and that's just the bottom line. We all knew what it had and what it lacked. We all test drove the truck and did our research.

I personally have loved the truck since the 2 gen came out and I'm happy with my 2012 despite a few things that it may be missing, but isn't that what this forum is for? To modify what we already have to be unique to its driver and to add the things we wish we had. My personal gripes about the truck are that nothing important locks (tailgate, glove box, center console storage, bed storage), but there are mods for that (minus the glove box I think). Overall this truck suites me just fine and handles everything I put in front of it.

Just my $.02

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    It seems like a lot of people are taking purely technical standpoints with this review, without looking at some of the intangible aspects of the Tacoma...

It may be opinion, but the 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas are some of the best looking trucks on the road.

The Tacoma community. Tacoma ownership is a state of mind to a lot of people, and a matter of pride.

Reliability and resale... My 2012 Double Cab is still worth about what I paid for it. I made a profit when I sold my 2008 Access cab in 2010, and I sold it to a dealer! There is a reason these trucks have such high resale, and that is because you can count on them to still run at 150K+ miles... a claim other brands can't compare to.

It's a Taco... 'nuff said!

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Wow, I'd like to hear his review on the other compact/midsize trucks after watching this..

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Mine rides like a damn caddy compared to my 2000 Taco. Yeah I think the mpg could be a little better. He's an idiot and should have his man card revoked for not being able to figure out the rail system, wtf? Extras features would be nice like the avg mpg like the 4runners have. Personally I use to like the degree setting that the 4runner had on the a/c but I either want it cold as shit or semi warm. Taco a/c is just fine. :D I guess he expects the cargo areas in the bed to be bullet proof.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Reminds me of that member TacoNoire lol. I don't think he ever got the truck after all his polls.

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    kube815

kube815 Active Member

Member:
    meridian ms.
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner sport
    this guy is untitled to his opinion but i think he his a complete idiot

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    I think some people are missing a certain demographic here. I bought my PreRunner because it is reliable and I can get a baby seat in the back seat. It has a bed big enough to deal with my weekend projects. Nothing else on the market fit my needs like the Tacoma does.

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I agree with so many that have said this^^^^ already but wanted to add that first off, If I was his size then yes I wouldn't want one of these trucks, I'd want a full sized. And second and more on the rail system, IMO he has some sort of hatred towards the Tacoma to drive the rail system in the ground like that. Just something for him to use to bash on it. He sounds biased towards full sized. And third, my worst mpg has only been below 17 ONE time. Yes I drive it pretty easy but when it did drop that low was when I drove it more aggressively. This video was way too biased IMO. I'm not saying the Taco is perfect but damn. I do think the Taco has lacked in technology, but that is due to so much success, it still sells!

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    I agree with him about the doors on the bed storage being flimsy.

I think he's an idiot if he can't figure out the rail system.

The poor MPG may be because the driver's seat is overloaded.

When he's sitting in the back he has front seats pushed back. I agree they're not the largest rear seats, but he's exaggerating how small they are.

I personally don't care that it's "lacking technology". I figure the less electronics there are the less electronics there is that can fail over time, although I do really like that the newer ones will let me plug in my iPod.

My wife's Rav4 has the MPG display. I never found it really useful and consider it more of a novelty feature, but I suppose it makes sense to install them when some people get that excited over something that simple.

I don't get when people complain that a 4x4 truck handles like a 4x4 truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top