1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Taco Overrated?? New truck Review.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOJAM, Apr 6, 2012.

?

Do you think the 2nd gen Taco is overrated?

Poll closed May 6, 2012.
  1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No

304 vote(s)
    67.9%
  3. A little bit

83 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Apr 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    huwhaaaa!!:goingcrazy::goingcrazy:

BLAH! My 1st gen still carries the torch of being a bad ass compact 4x4. it went down the shitter with the 2nd gens, officially moving toyota into the mainstream truck market and removing their one famous trophy...the bulletproof mini truck.

2. Apr 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    The way I see it, the Tacoma isn't a big bells and whistles truck, but it does everything you buy a truck to do (well within reason) well. It's dependable and predictable and that's what makes it so good. When it comes time to sell, it's one of the few vehicles that you're not gonna absolutely lose your ass on, and that's refreshing. Tacoma gets points for doing exactly what it's supposed to do in my book.

3. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    I'll take your word on this one. All I know about 1st gen is they had PS rack failures and cooling issues with plastics. Anyway, 2nd gen certainly has Toyota quality reputation circling the drain for anyone who knows vehicles. I've now experienced this first hand - and less than 2 mos and 1000 miles of ownership, ouch my bad. Might be parting ways with Toyota very soon. Thank goodness the F350 7.3 has never failed aside from an auto trans at 130k.

4. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    SLOJAM

SLOJAM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's cool another member has also owed Lexus SC's, merely a coincidence. Anyways, back on topic.... I just thought the video was one of the best and honest reviews on the taco. Everything the reviewer said can be backed up in this forum from you owners who voice your gripes about the 2nd gen taco. I test drove one and it just gave me the impression that it was cheap, but hey you are talking about someone who drove a luxury car for many years. In my honest opinion the 1991 Nissan frontier 2wd 4cyl king cab I owned back in the 90's drives better than the taco. I loved that 91 king cab. Toyota quality has suffered a bit over the years, even the new lexus cars. On the other hand, the new nissan frontiers also suck and the new frontier's mpg is worst than the 91 frontier I had. The new tundras seem to be a little better quality but they are too damn big for my needs.

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    So if you're not Taconoire, and what you say above is true.....Why the fk are you still here? LOL

6. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels

Go buy an GM canyon/colorado..... since its the closest to compare to really, unless you like plastic, then buy a nissan.

I like your response, but honestly, nobody cares what you think. I love the trolls that get on the forums and specifically talk shit, post videos, or bitch about whatever the forum is about. If you like the nissan so much, then go troll their forum, as for the rest of us, I guess we will all have to sit here, and enjoy how much we like our trucks. You resemble a past jackass that used to troll these forums.

Here is a thought, im going to surf youtube and find a retarded video of a nissan, post it and troll their forum and see how many people i can piss off, then change my name and do it again....

7. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM
    SLOJAM

Member:
    Honestly, I didn't post the video to piss off you fanboys. I did it to get some honest feedback from the minority non-fanboy 2nd gen taco owners through the poll and comments. IMO, although the taco is flawed IT IS the best choice when compared to other midsize trucks, at least from the outside looking in. I would love to go american but the reliability is a hit or miss when it comes to american cars. Although many people have abandoned the taco due to a plethora of problems. I would have a taco right now if I could get a 2nd gen 2wd reg cab with bucket seats. They are about as rare as a black diamond.

I agree with a previous post in here that says the base 4banger gets the best bang for the buck.

8. Apr 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Tacos are largely made in the U.S. :thumbsup:

I agree for the most part with the vid. It amuses me how the "only" alternative suggested is to buy a full size though.

Kinda wish theyd bring back the 1st gen size.

9. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    He skips over the two most important features of the Tacoma , those being reliability and capability. Sure you can buy a full size truck for the price he mentioned with all the bells and whistles but is it going to last. My experience says no. Also if you want legroom in the back then buy touring sedan not a pickup. My review of this reviewer is that he was paid by another manufacturer to trash the Tacoma

10. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM
    SLOJAM

Member:

He probably didn't touch on capability b/c he said that most people will use it for the road. I don't think he was paid to trash it but I bet he is a Ford or GM fanboy. That's ok though, I believe he gave an honest review b/c it does reflect what many people say on this board about the taco. I think toyota could kill the comp even more if they ever decide to step the taco up a notch and update the truck with some modern technology besides a new head unit and headlights.

11. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    Again, go buy a GM, im gonna break down in 60k miles, colorado or canyon....

I bought, and love my truck for these reasons
    1. I like it much more than the 07 tundra i drove around for a year. Its significantly smaller, and easier to handle on the road. The tacoma matches what i use it for. Whats the point in having a full size truck when you dont use it?
    2. It does everything that I ask it to do, without complaint. I dont use it to get pussy (thats what my Subaru was used for) and cruise the malls or the boulevard with it, or beat the shit out of it and wonder why it doesnt work (again, thats what the subaru was used for), and it has never let me down, not one time. I take care of it, and it takes care of me, end of story.
    3. I owned my '06 tacoma long before joining this forum, along with a lot of people on this forum. I stumbled across this forum searching for a lift and then found a mountain of usefull information.
    4. I bought it because i needed a truck. If i wanted an airsoft suspension, quiet cab, and reclining fluffy seats, I would have bought a cadillac or lexus for $50k, and then been too afraid to take it anywhere dirty.

I wish i still had my '94 xtra cab, because i would put that up against your piece of shit nissan any day of the week. You want to piss and moan about us being "fan-boys"? Go back to your bridge, and shit in your hand, and take your biased "i cant work the fucking bed rail" video with you.

God, feels good to know that i wont need to buy another truck anytime soon due to it breaking down..... Hey troll, come back in 10 years and tell us that our trucks still suck, even after you have bought 2-3 others....

12. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    BaconTaco

BaconTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Lancaster, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport silver prerunner
    secondary & Res Box delete, Kenwood DDX419 HU installed in metra 95-8214 and Xbox 360, Mobil 1 syn oil, Shortened stock antenna, 400w anytime mod with rear center console outlet, Debadged tailgate, tailgate anti theft clamp mod, immryo's rear view mirror re locator, post axle exhaust dump, Black TRD OR floor mats, TRD center caps, 265/70/17 BFG rugged terrains
    I'm 31 and married with a 5 y/o and a baby on the way. I live in southern ca and am a bartender. I'm very active: snowboarding, camping, wakeboarding, and own my own home so I do a lot of projects. I love DIY stuff. I have a 2 mile drive to work. I drove nothing but Honda civics my whole life and have been in love with the way the Tacoma looks for the last ten years or so. I love both gens of the truck. So when my last civic was really getting worn out I decided to shop for something more capable. Something that could accommodate ALL of my and my family's needs. I wanted the most bang for my buck plus the reliability of a Honda, Toyota, etc. I also needed something affordable. I initially assumed Tacoma was a little out of my league. The msrp on a new taco is a little scary. I ended up getting an 06 DCSB TRD sport 2wd v6 auto in silver with 70k on the odo. I got it for 16,900 from a friends mom who babied it all the way. My truck is near perfect for me in almost every way. I only wish that it was 4wd. The few complaints I have about it I am finding very very easy to fix with a few mods I have found from all these great people on this forum. I'm kind of a tech guy who loves gadgets so one of my first gripes was the lack of technology so the first thing I did was buy a kenwood ddx419. DVD, touchscreen, Bluetooth, sat radio, pandora, navi, and full iPhone integration and it probably works better than most factory infotainment systems. Only costed me 500 bucks after the sat radio, dash kit etc. Now when people get in my truck they are blown away by the "tech" of my taco. Plus I'm going to add the rear backup cam for another hundred bucks or so here in the near future. I have a list of things to mod in the future that are only going to make my taco that much better. I could care less about the fuel economy of my truck, that's not why I bought it. I only track it to see on a whole how it's performing. Lower mpg means I have a problem somewhere and or need a tune up. The taco has plenty of space for me and my family and our activities, can take us ANYWHERE in comfort and in style, and I have the peace of mind knowing we're safe and we won't break down on the way. Sure, it could be improved on but Toyota makes a GREAT truck. And my complaints with it are from nit picking it. Like saying "yeah that girl's a perfect ten but she blinks too much". Im kinda blabbing here but to sum up my point, My truck isn't perfect for everyone, but it's perfect for me. I love my taco.

If the 2012 Tacoma was 10k less would it still be overrated? If you answered no then buy used and save a TON of money. My 06 has almost every feature the 2012 has and was half the price.

13. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM
    SLOJAM

Member:
    Francis Quarles once said, "Give not thy tongue too great a liberty, lest it take thee prisoner. A word unspoken is like thy sword in thy scabbard; if vented, the sword is in anothers hand.* If thou desire to be held wise, be so wise as to hold thy tongue."

14. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    Whatever, im over it. Go brag about your lexus, or your waste of scrap metal nissan somewhere else....

15. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM
    SLOJAM

Member:
    For the record, The video I posted is the ONLY decent semi-professional review of the 2012 Toyota Tacoma on Youtube. I did not set out to look for a negative review on the taco as some of you on here would have you believe. Look for yourselves, the only other 2012 tacoma reviews are from dealers trying to sell product.

Although I'm brutally honest I'm no troll on here, just in indecisive truck buyer in search of the right choice of truck for me.

MPG, reliability and usability play a major role in my decision. Although I initially had set my mind to getting the v6 4x4 Ac cab but then I realized that I would only use the 4x4 option a few days out of the year. V6 is overkill and just eats more gas. The access cab is really not much useable room besides throwing the golf clubs back there and groceries but that is really not worth the extra weight that it adds to the truck and the turning radius. However, it's nice to be able to recline the seats and relax. Bucket seats seem like a cool option to have in the reg cab but you really can't do much with the bucket seats in a reg cab and it cuts into the available room in the reg cab. One thing that is cool about the bench seating is you can lay down on the bench seat and take a nap if you want along with seating a third person if need be BUT you can't adjust the back angle of the bench seat, at least I don't think you can ( Someone chime in).

IDK, maybe the 4cyl access cab is the way to go for me like the guy in the video said. I just want to haul a motorcycle and some DIY shit from The Home Depot. I could live with 20-23 mpg, which people on here seem to get with the 2wd 4cyl access cab 2nd gen taco. I actually like the lower height and smaller stock tires b/c it keeps the mpg down and I won't have to pussy foot around town like some of you v6 behemoths do to save fuel.

16. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    now now guys...no need to cry over spilled milk

17. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    seriously, the
    "but for 35,000 you can get a GREAT! fullsize!"
    gets me

18. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I don't think disagreeing with this guy makes you a fanboy. There's a big difference between having some complaints about the truck and rating it as not recommended. He complained about gas mileage, which doesn't seem to be much different than anyone else. He complained about legroom, which, for his size seems a little unfair. Also, it's no worse, and in some cases, better than any other mid-size. He complained about ride, when it rides like a truck. His review would be like reviewing me as a goalie, and saying, "Schwinn isn't very good. His shot is weak, passing skills sub-par, and ability to throw the body non-existent." It felt like he was reviewing the truck as though it were a car. I don't think he's a hired schill, I just think he isn't a fan of trucks.

19. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
  20. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    lol

I drive my supercharged v6 like I stole it, I still return about 18-19 mpg. thats in town and highway. I can push er balls to the wall and get 12mpg on highway or get 23 (even read 24-25 a few times) if I drive speed limits.

All values measured via OBDII Torque App

Products Discussed in

To Top