1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma computer recorder?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lib, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    lib

lib [OP] Member

Member:
    left coast
    Vehicle:
    stripped down 7553
    u-haul tow hitch
    Hi all, Great site plum full of helpful info. :) We got a brand new(3miles) stripped down 2012 4x4 V6 last week. Since then we had U-Haul save us some money by putting on the hitch package with tow ball for a lowly $274. Beat the heck out of the $895 the dealer quoted for the exact same. Anyway, I was reading the owners manual and Toyota is now putting a computerized recorder in vehicles now or maybe they have been for a while to monitor and record drivers? So I was wondering if there is a way to turn this fascist device off? Its very much intrusive to have a corporation down loading a customers driving habits when they go in for a oil change or check up. I'm sure our government appreciates this practice as well. Toyota states they can turn your recorder over to law enforcement if they request it. Anyone else care about losing their privacy after shelling out $25k or am I just an old fuddy duddy not in with the times:rolleyes: ? Thanks

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Welcome to the 21st century.

Insurance companies love this kind of shit.
    Drivers who are not at-fault think they love it... until the recorder shows that they hesitated braking and the insurance company now finds them 50% at fault for hitting the moron who made a left turn in front of them.

Just be happy it's not like OnStar with GPS capabilities (as well as remote engine shutdown)... Toyota doesn't know WHERE you've been, just how you were doing it.

3. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Fairbanks AK

Fairbanks AK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where did you read this in the owners manual?
    What page, exactly?

Are you sure you're not talking about OBD-II?

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Toyota, and most manufacturers, have been putting "black box" type devices in vehicles for many years.

OnStar is only a part of the GM system, and it does add location (and can monitor cabin conversations), but vehicles without OnStar still have the data recorders.

Basically, the recorders take a "snapshot" that includes speed, engine RPM, throttle percent, other engine parameters, and brake/ABS status.
    How long is this snapshot? No clue. When the systems first made light, they claimed they only recorded 30 seconds prior to an airbag deployment... but that implies that they are recording 24-7 and storing at least 30 seconds worth of information.
    With memory being cheap now, such system could store several days' worth of data....

But without location, it would be of little use to police except in determining the cause of an accident.

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    hamsterhater

hamsterhater Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island
    Vehicle:
    11' dc mag grey taco
    level kit- exhaust -cai n-fab light bar-4 piaa 6"new hood w/scoop
    there's 2 different recorders in your truck and they can be erased by you anytime you would like,but the dealers use this info for warranty work on major components most of the time. but they can see you erased also and you have to play dumb like you dont know sh-t.i'll tell you how when i get my friend to tell me again.we did it once before:D

6. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Sub'd. If there's a part number and diagram that would totally help too!

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:

isn't it mandatory starting 2012?

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Been doing it for years and good job on the research... It's a on board device called an "Event Data Recorder" that records the last 30 or so seconds of data in the event of a accident. It can be turned over to Law Enforcement but requires legal action to do so.

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Oh My GOD the Sky is falling!!!!!!

I swear i'm going to punch myself in the dick!

10. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    +1

Well at least for the first part. That second one sounds painful?

Whats with all the paranoia around here? I do not under stand why some people are afraid of technology? I guess if you are growing pot or cooking crack?

11. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Rmesa1

Rmesa1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes there is a data record in your truck but it is not downloaded every time you come in for service. In fact the dealers do not even have the technology to read all the info only a small portion that will aid diagnosis on things. If you want to wipe it out pull the battery I have not tested that on the 2012 but it works for the 2010 model line. There has been his technology to some extent for a while.

12. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    lib

lib [OP] Member

Member:
    left coast
    Vehicle:
    stripped down 7553
    u-haul tow hitch
    I understand some folks dont care about losing their privacy or dont have the desire or energy to uphold the few remaining freedoms left in this increasingly fascist nation, but a few of us still do care about what this country once stood for. This infringement really annoys me to no end. I've been a driver for over 22 years now and I have no tickets, never been in an accident, nor had to ever make an insurance claim. I can see Toyota etc. putting a recorder device in vehicles that are rentals, leases or even those who are on a payment plan with finances for 5 years that Toyota would be getting the vehicle back potentially, but for those of us who actually pay fully upfront and own our vehicles free & clear this is absolutely absurd. Its as though we dont even own our vehicles. Our vehicle is now a tool to tattle or reveal our driving habits and potentially be used against us. Very intrusive!:mad: So is there a way to remove or disable this recorder? If not, how can I clear it out regularily? Is disconnecting the battery the only way to clear? Otherwise I suppose I'm left with no option other than not using my 2 year Toyota care for the free oil changes, which is no problem as I prefer to change my own oil and do general maintenance myself. I just have to hope that classic Toyota reliabilty comes through and I dont ever need to take it to the dealer during the 3/36k warranty. Thanks for any help in this matter :)

13. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2

Many (if not, maybe all) vehicles have some sort of "black box" like device. Not just Toyotas.

14. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    No offense but are you a communist or something I've never seen someone shit themselves over something like this before. From what I understand the only way for others to pull data off this is if they have your consent or a warrant. So unless like others say you're growing pot or cooking crack what's the big deal? It doesn't have cameras or anything and it can't show hesitation so everyone chill the f out.

15. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    bluefish

bluefish overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    I basically agree with the op regarding the invasion of privacy (esp. in a vehicle you own), and it is clear that the info can only benefit the insurance companies or law enforcement, never the working stiff who owns the vehicle.

BUT... If you got in a wreck caused by somebody who was driving irresponsibly wouldn't you want their car recording it? In this way it could actually benefit good drivers.

Also, there was a recent incident where the lt. governor in MA crashed a state issued vehicle and the black box info became public, it basically painted a picture of him drinking and driving 110mph at 3am or something crazy along those lines. Always happy to see a crooked state employee get their just desserts

16. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Communist? How does that make sense? Lol

17. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    It's been discussed before and I have yet to see where anyone has postively identified the device, or given a way to defeat it. If it just records a few seconds or minutes, then manually clearing it is of no use.

I'm one of those that do not believe anyone has the right to invade my privacy. The warrant system is no protection at all. It's the fox gaurding the hen house. If the technology is in place it will be abused.

18. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Vehicle Data Recorders have been making their way into vehicles since 2001. By 2006, most every vehicle sold in the US has them. They are hard wired into the ECU ( from the limited digging I have done), and cant be removed. They record a continuous loop, with time windows ranging from 20 seconds, to 45 seconds. Uppon airbag deployment, thats when they stop recording. From the research I hav done, only police agencies have access, or the capability to read tham.....And I havent found any that do, or advertise they do. regardless, they can help in a crash investigation, as mentioned they record a plethora of engine, brake, steering actions vefore the crash. If your diving normally, you have nothing to worry about. If you driving like an asshole on the streets, then you might reconsider your driving style.

19. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :rofl:

20. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    AND....FWIW, NO warrant or consent is required for a DPS officeer or department to read the info from the Data Logger.

Products Discussed in

To Top