1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma - Dealer Markup

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Spruced UP, Apr 30, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    CherryBomb

CherryBomb Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4
    NEVER EVER PAY A DIME OVER INVOICE!!! Dealers still make money via hold backs and what not. They will bitch and moan that they aren't making any money. It's all lies.

Overall dealerships don't really make money selling cars. It's their service department that makes all the money. Some dealerships will even take a loss on the sale of the vehicle if they think they are going to gain a service customer.

- former dealer

2. May 1, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    xmadcowx

xmadcowx Old man club. Sold out to Ford.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    19 Raptor/21 Bronco. 12 OR sold. 05 xrunner sold.
    Functional
    I ordered my truck, exactly how I wanted it and got it for a very good price. You can try doing what I did. The first dealer I talked to tried this "well it's on a boat here, going to another dealership, it's going to take some serious money to get us to divert it" etc etc. I asked "when is it arriving and what port?", he told me, because what does he care, he has the information in front of him.

I took this information to a different dealer, and opened with "Hi, my name is Ryan, there is a 2012 MGM double cab off-road Tacoma arriving in at the Jacksonville port on October 4th, lets talk price". The sales rep figured I had done my homework and was not going to play any games so he gave me his best price right away and I only had to negotiate slightly on my trade. As everyone else has said, someone will sell you the truck, do not mess around with anyone trying to charge over invoice, these are Ferraris here.

3. May 1, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    go on cars.com, find the tacoma you like at a dealer you're willing to drive to or fly to and ask them what their best price is. The internet sales dpt for most dealers usually bargain down to about $500 over invoice price right off the bat on such sites. they deal in volume sales. every single dealer i contacted came back with $1000-2000 under msrp.

4. May 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

5. May 1, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Remember that someone will always get a better deal than you. The question is really how much do you want to spend for the truck and options you want. If you go in without a definitive number it could go south really quick. Research is your friend in this case.

6. May 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Find a deferent dealer and tell them both that you're looking elsewhere. I think that's all you can do. Toyota dealers don't have to "sell" tacomas which is why you have to order one.

I had a pricing issue with the first dealer that I went to. Talked to another dealer 20 minutes away and they beat the first by $3k without even asking. First dealer scrambled and I don't like people that try to take advantage of me and I told them that. I bought from the second dealer for less.

7. May 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    Wow, guys! I'm literally overwhelmed at the responses you folks are giving me. THANK YOU! Is there some sort of commission you guys get for helpful responses! LOL Seriously, THANK YOU.

8. May 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Eric, tried PM'ing you via my phone, but not sure it went through. Call Steve McCoy at Deluca Toyota, 352-598-3230. He was my salesman and did a great job at getting me a deal I was happy with. Tell him Shane sent you. He's expecting your call.

Shane

9. May 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    Got it. It came through and I responded. :D

10. May 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  11. May 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    2bnb driver

2bnb driver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    central virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner , 13 sr5 4wd
    When you buy a car its time to "MAN UP". Be the prick. I bought a 2007 Corolla and a 2010 Tacoma. Both times I was clear I was paying MSRP only. Both times they were clear it wasnt going to happen. Both times I walked. Both times my wife was embarrased because I was "the prick". And both times I got a call in 30 minutes expressing willingness to sell at MSRP. Corolla was bought at MSRP, Tacoma slightly under. Having said that, there are other toyota dealers to compete with and they know it. If your dealer is the only game in town it does make it more difficult. Shooting an email ahead of time asking for the best OTD price is a big help. If you do buy at MSRP be ready for them to turn the heat on full blast for extended warrantys, bomb proof under coating, the binford 5000 stain repellent, miracle glass film and the super duper cant be replicated paint protectant.

12. May 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
  13. May 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    There is no reason to be a prick. The salesperson is just the go between. The sales manager makes the call. It's really simple. Know what you want to pay and don't deviate from that amount. If the salesperson does not(and they won't) come back with an agreement to your price you thank them for their time and leave. It's then up to the sales manager to keep negotiations going.

14. May 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    Right now, at least in my region, tacomas are being sold with incentives, and you should be able to negotiate a deal through a nearby internet department for at least 10% under msrp, if not better. I did, and when I went to pick it up and saw the truck for the first time I peeled the window stickers off, and lo and behold...it had an extra sticker with a $2000 market adjustment add-on!! :D
    I saved it for laughs along with the main sticker in my files.
    Those "market adjustments" are used all the time, but the only time you will ever see a dealer try to stick with it is if they have a truly rare or sought after vehicle on their hands, such as maybe the first few of the next gen tacomas to hit the street, or the first few weeks or months of the car everyones been waiting for, and with a waiting list.
    On a 2012 Tacoma...Ignore it! Pretend it isnt there, or better yet, go the internet department route, have several nearby dealers compete for your business, and you will never need to.

15. May 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    TRDBeast

TRDBeast Boogie Man Kryptonite

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Coconut Creek, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Crew Cab TRD
    Brute Force front armor with 30" rigid and dual 4" quad rigid fogs OME suspension 3" lift with Dakar leaf pack and ToyTec body lift for total 4.25 LR UCA's 9000 sport Nitro Charger shocks 885X Coils AFE Pro Dry CAI 18" Rockstars Alpine DDIN systemw/Nav, Bluetooth and DVD 2 12's Infinity Kappa's in doors and Alpine 6.5 X 9 in front and back and 2 Alpine Zeus amps rear 2 Rockford Fosgate amps front NFab running boards Dyno tuned FXRs w/ 3" Projectors and Halos retrofit w/ Apollo shrouds and 5000k HID 55W Debadged Wet Okole skins HomerTaco Satoshi grill Elusive Elements light support with 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill Powder coated tool box TRD gear shift Andres Devil Horns TREX eyelids Body Armor rear bumper 15% Tint "ZOMBIE" light switches Custom gun concealer in dash One-piece aluminum drive shaft LED interior light swap
    I am a dealer for multiple franchises- just not Toyota : (

feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to contact your closest dealer and make all the arrangements personally and take away the hassle that most people associate with dealers. in this era people dont realize dealers are more professional now than they were 20 years ago.... I can supply whatever correct information you will need to make an educated decision.

16. May 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Our dealer charges MSRP. Bottom line. New vehicles aren't marked up very much for MSRP, so they usually won't lower, but will throw in accessories etc. Used cars are much more negotiable at Toyota dealers.

17. May 2, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    many forget what the "S" part of MSRP represents.

a dealer can ask what ever he wants for his cars...above or below the "S". the market place will decide if he is successful.

not much different than any other product, including appliances...boats...motorcycles...real estate........

We are still a capitalist society...for now. :rolleyes:

18. May 2, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    There are some great tips offered up here. If you're lucky, you'll find a dealer who enjoys selling cars to people who want to buy cars and not play games. I found one. Actually the same place that I bought my 2000 base model 4x2 reg cab from. If your dealer wants to play, walk out and thank them for their time. They will call you wanting to earn your business.

There was a mention that dealers are more professional these days. I think it depends on the day and situation. I met some people on this last purchase that I would NEVER give a dime to who thought they had a sure thing at the highest price, looked me right in the face and tried to screw me over. I might not have ended up with "the best" deal, but it was a really good deal and I couldn't be happier with the dealership and our sales guy. If anyone is looking in the CA north bay area, I have THE GUY. I'll shop here as long as I'm driving a Toyota.

19. May 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    I don't mean to sound like I'm doggin' on ya, but you are every dealer's wet dream. You went in and offered to pay MSRP? In fact, you demanded it? Dude, they must have been doing cartwheels and exchanging high-fives the rest of the afternoon. The MSRP is an over-inflated number that the manufacturer "suggests" the car be sold for at the dealership. Your goal is to move that figure as far to the left of the MSRP as possible.

Though I don't recall the exact figures, MSRP on my Taco was somewhere in the neighborhood of $28K and change. My OTD price was just over $25K. That included taxes, which would have put the actual price at $23K and change.

Never try to negotiate MSRP. Always shoot for invoice or somewhere just to the left and right of it...

20. May 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    I custom ordered mine spruce w/ every option that I could click on.
    But I ordered through my insurance company (USAA) and had dealers bidding on it.
    Picked it up from Port of Entry in Commerce, GA which was closer than the dealer South of Atlanta.
    It came in below MSRP very happy$$$.
    That included a $1,500.00 deduct from Toyota back in March 2009.

Products Discussed in

To Top