1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma First Service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by daily rider, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    awesome........I'll ask for that when I go!

2. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    12Tacoma

12Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd off road 4x4
    husky liners, undercover tonneau, ome 885's, 2" aal, 265/75/16 duratracs.
    I am a DIY guy but will be taking the tacoma in next month for the first oil change/tire rotation (its free well not really free).

Our 09 corolla has had every oil change and service done at the dealership since new plus the entire dash pulled out for a tsb.

No problems and dont expect any after wrenching on my own crap for 20+ years I've got better things to do with my time like spend time with family and watch the young guns on here try to up the post count with mindless drivel.

I guess its all cool and trendy now to be the big man and be a ninny nelly towards everybody even in cyberspace.

3. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    burnseason

burnseason TENNESSEE VOL

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Khost, Afghanistan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport double cab long bed 4x4
    none
    Wtf is this guy on? Seriously? Wait, lemme guess.... It's somehow also obama's fault!

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    wait a minute, obama actually admitted he did something wrong! now that would be front page news!

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    WAGONWHEEL

WAGONWHEEL Active Member

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner, SR5
    None
    To the OP. I have plenty of mechanical experience (aircraft and cars) as well as a mechanical engineering degree. This Tacoma is my first Toyota. I plan to take advantage of the free oil change service. However, should the dealership find any additional things or recommend any additional services, I will not pay for them. The conventional oil will stay in the truck as it is more than sufficient, and will be changed at the 5K interval with the filter. At 75K, I will switch to high millage oil (this will be a blend). I will purchase the factory shop manual for the truck soon. Also, I always use a properly calibrated torque wrench on all fasteners. My last piece of advice, look over the work done by the dealership or any other shop, and make sure you always use a new seal (crush washer) on the drain plug. It's your truck, no one is going to take better care of it than you.

6. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Synthetic oil takes more then 10 minutes to fully drain from a Tacoma V-6.

Simple - Rotate in a "X" pattern not front to back.

lol...yea Ill change my opinion because you told me to :rolleyes:

FJ's do not have the same engine as Tacoma's and are produced throughout the word. Tacoma's are only sold in North America. My assumption is that because EU standards are higher then ours Toyota bean counters decided to keep everything the same so they save money inthe end.

maybe you should :notsure:

So now I'm a crook? lol... Sounds like you need a tin foil hat.

Go tickle your tonsils with a 12ga.

lol...yes I do (pep boys cheap car wash).

I guess you use dish soap that strips the wax off it?

Keep doing that for 300k over 20 years then let me know how it works for you.

Dealer knows best, like all the other guys in here :rolleyes:

I guess it takes 25k to break in :facepalm:

I would guess liberals are less likely to do their own work, but we can't discuss politics because this site has to many people who get all but hurt by others opinions... see above for reference :)

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I got an oilchange at the dealer here in Canada and with synthetic it cost pretty much $100. With synthetic they recommend you change it after 8000km instead of 5000km with conventional oil.

8. Apr 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Allen102

Allen102 Active Member

Member:
    Go to the dealer, but check their work when they are done. I had the first oil change done by them, and they did not change the oil filter, ( I marked it with a crayon) I made them change the oil again, ( with filter this time) the service mgr gave me some lame excuse, like the tech got confused and didn't know he was suppose to change it. Yea, right, like I accepted that stupid explanation. Just check, they cut corners with warranted work whenever they can. The dealer was Freehold Toyota, on RT.9 In New Jersey.

9. Apr 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    XXXX .....Your buddy is a thief?

10. Apr 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Lol @ B

11. Apr 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    I wouldnt suggest this is common, but it wouldnt surprise me. I have definitely had work done at dealerships before that either wasnt done properly (they broke something else...more than once...who hasnt had that happen?), or wasnt done at all (a motor mount), or...my personal favorite, the phone call in the afternoon.."we need to clean the injectors, and resurface the rotors". They probably make a lot of money off the "free" services that way.
    Dont get me wrong. Theres nothing wrong with taking it to the dealer if thats what youre comfortable with, and a lot of times we have to, but to me, being at the dealer is like being in the hospital. I only go if I have to.
    Again, to each his own.:)

12. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    12Tacoma

12Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd off road 4x4
    husky liners, undercover tonneau, ome 885's, 2" aal, 265/75/16 duratracs.
    Keep going bro 30,000 is just around the corner, bragging rights at starbucks yo!

13. Apr 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does the Toyota Care include towing? If so, how many miles? I have AutoClub but its getting expensive.

14. May 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Wow, this thread is interesting, lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top