1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab Door rattle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TechnoViking, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    TechnoViking

TechnoViking [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    My new 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport has a whirring, rattling noise that comes from both access cab doors when the front doors are closed. The noise continues for a few seconds after the door is closed, like a spring is still moving around. I brought it to the dealer and they removed the panel and identified the problem as coming from the sealed seat belt tensioner unit. There is nothing loose in either door and the noise is coming from this sealed unit. I actually got in 4 other 2012 access cabs on the lot and they all make the same noise.

Dealer called the tech line and were advised this is 'characteristic' of the year and model so it is not considered a warranty issue at this point. Service manager at dealership told me that others have complained and a TSB is likely in the works but now I have to listen to this every time I close my door? I have been in touch with toyota customer service but no satisfaction yet.

Anyone else notice this in their 2012 Access cab?

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    TechnoViking

TechnoViking [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Nope, the noise continues regardless of whether or not I have the seat belt fully extended.

3. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    TechnoViking

TechnoViking [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    It's pretty loud, general manager and service manager at dealership agreed on that. No noise other than when you close the doors, and when you do that it makes the noise every time. They offered to switch out the parts from the 2011 but I declined as I am sure they will put out a TSB and I don't want to mess with it until that time unless there is another fix.

They had the panels off and there are no loose parts in the door, the noise is coming from the sealed tensioner unit for sure, maybe getting louder as it travels up the door frame it is mounted to.

4. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    TechnoViking

TechnoViking [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    thnx, other than that great truck, this is my 6th toyota truck and none have had the tinny, cheap sound from the doors that are coming out of this thing -

5. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    TechnoViking

TechnoViking [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ha ha, no i haven't -

Products Discussed in

To Top