1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ Tacoma V6 Block Heater Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rockhopjohn, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID, MT, ND, I'm a transient
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    I work in ND and decided I should spring for a block heater for my 2013 DCSB Baja T|X since we get our share of -25 deg F days. I know these heaters don't do a lot, but they're better than nothing, I may add the oil pan heater as well, but that's down the road a bit.

Anyway, I found that the videos here and here that are available do a great job of explaining the process, but as has been mentioned in other threads, in 2012 Toyota decided to put a bracket that holds the connector for one of the O2 sensors RIGHT in front of where the block heater is inserted. This bracket must be removed in order to insert the heating element.

Beyond what's required in the above linked to videos, I also found I needed:

17mm socket
    3" extension
    6" extension
    Universal Joint
    Ratchet for the sockets/extensions/U-Joint referenced above
    Breaker bar

I found it easiest to do this from underneath the truck. Make sure you do this when the truck is cold, I did it about an hour after driving the truck, and found that the exhaust was only slightly warm, but the bell housing was still quite warm, and only allowed me to get my hands in the for short periods of time, it will be a lot easier if everything is cold.

You'll get at this from the drivers side of the truck near the bell housing. The bolt that holds the bracket is torqued pretty good, and required the 17mm socket, U-joint and extensions to get out far enough to break the bracket loose. After breaking everything loose with the breaker bar, I was able to get the bolt loose enough to turn by hand using the ratchet, U-joint and small extension. It was only 1-2 clicks at a time on the ratchet, but finally got it loose enough to turn by hand.

Once you have the bolt out the bracket should hang freely and you can move it out of the way enough to get the block heater into place, and then attach the power cable to it. After the block heater is in and the cable is attached, you'll need to slide the bracket in to its natural position, it will be tight against the block heater, you can then run the bolt in, tightening it by hand as far as possible before reversing the steps for removal. I actually found I could get my 1/4" Makita impact attached to all the extensions and run it in that way, which saved me a lot of time.

Here you can see the offending bracket loose, with the bolt hole, and a stand off that holds it away from the bell housing. I originally thought this stand off would have to go, but in the end it will just barely fit after the heater is installed.

blockheater_bracket_0a2e498b23b5b14435c908619925328018796cfe.jpg

This shows everything re-installed, you can see the bracket is tight against the block heater.

blockheater_installed_d97a846b330926d978419dffc051a37862c1920f.jpg

It didn't bother to torque this bolt, since it was such a PITA to get to, just hit it a good lick with the impact. It appears to be a bolt that helps to attach the bell housing to the motor, so you'll want to try to tighten it back up as best you can.

Just a few notes. I have the hands of a 10 year old girl, which has served me well while wrenching, if your hands are larger you may find this job more frustrating. The block heater I got came in a box for a LS460, so it would appear its widely used, it did not come with any thermal grease, so I just lubed it up with vaseline and stuck'er in.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone with a 2012, no need for all of us to re-invent the wheel.

2. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    You wouldn't happen to have the part number for that part? Did you buy it somewhere on line or get it from the stealership?

3. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    rockhopjohn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    Box says its a PU140-00902. I got it from the stealership for $49, which is the cheapest I could find it on the interwebs before shipping. Box also says made in Canada, so it may be the Toyota of Canada version.

BTW, there is also a 00113-00213-00902 number which may be the US part number.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. Sep 4, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I doubt there is any need for the oil pan heater. The block heater should be plenty for the temperatures you will experience. I lived in Alberta which gets the same kind of temperatures, and the block heater suited me just fine.

5. Sep 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    rockhopjohn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    That's good to hear. I also noticed most of the people who complained were only using it for a few hours in the morning. When it is that cold, I will have the truck plugged in 24/7.

It will definitely be nicer than worrying about whether the fuel in my diesel would gel up and leave me stranded.

6. Sep 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I would leave mine plugged in overnight only. I rarely plugged it in during the work day. It will be noticably harder to start first thing in the morning, even with the block heater (as compared to a warm summer morning), but the heater will help. I was never worried. Just remember to let the truck idle for a minute or 2 before taking off like a bat out of hell. The RPMs will be significantly higher at first, but they'll level out, and everything will be fine.

As for your diesel. If you keep your fuel tank topped up, and don't let it sit for more than an 8 hour work day, you shouldn't have problems with it gelling. That only becomes an issue with fuel that sits for long periods. Just keep the tank filled up with fresh fuel, or use a stabilizer if you know it's going to be sitting.

7. Sep 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    rockhopjohn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    Easier said than done in my situation. I work on oil rigs in ND, and once I get to the rig I might stay there for two weeks without leaving, and I might burn a 1/4 tank just getting from a gas station to the rig. I used Stanadyne all last winter, and we had some -55 wind chills for a few weeks, and with the block heater running 24/7 I never had any issues. But, I was just waiting for the day I got a bad tank of fuel that would leave me stranded. I guess getting a watery tank of fuel is equally possible with a gasoline rig, but I hated having to sweat it all the time.

I likely won't use the heater unless its below zero. I am also bad about remembering to plug in, and un-plug things, so I will likely leave it in 24/7 unless I find evidence that its getting too hot, which I don't really anticipate. Worst case scenario I just have to buy a timer to turn the thing on and off.

8. Oct 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    NewTaco76

NewTaco76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T/X
    TRD exhaust, TRD rims
    I just finished trying in vain to install this block heater on my 2012. While I did notice the bracket, I thought I'd be able to slip by it somehow.

I tried from the bottom, then the top, then the bottom, then the top again. Then I read this post about removing the bracket. But i just didn't have the leverage to get it off.

Normally, I would keep at it but I was fed up.

So gonna pay Toyota to do it :(

9. Nov 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    ColeTrain

ColeTrain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma
    Tinted driver pass window 35%, Airaid cold air intake, duel custom exhaust magnaflow cans and tips, toytec 3" lift bilstien 5100 front rear, add a leaf in the rear, throttle body spacer, grillcraft grill top and bottom, trd bronze 16" bead lock rims, led switch back signals, led lights in rear, tinted tail lights, bed rug bed liner,
    Good choice. I just removed my 2012 stock block heater and replaced it with the new 2013 model. Its a fancy new plug, and I wanted it. If knew how hard it was going to be to remove that bracket. I would have never done it. But I saw the project through to the end.

I needed to use 2 extensions a universal joint and a 17mm socket. It being torqued down is an under statement. Removed the bolt and replaceing it took way to long. But if your someone who really wants to do this job. I would recommend jacking your truck, or if possible put it on a lift. The leverage would have been nice. Other than the bracket, the job is a breeze.

I will throw up some picks of the new cord for people. If they have not seen it.

10. Nov 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    ColeTrain

ColeTrain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma
    Tinted driver pass window 35%, Airaid cold air intake, duel custom exhaust magnaflow cans and tips, toytec 3" lift bilstien 5100 front rear, add a leaf in the rear, throttle body spacer, grillcraft grill top and bottom, trd bronze 16" bead lock rims, led switch back signals, led lights in rear, tinted tail lights, bed rug bed liner,
    So here are some pictures, of the new block heater kit they are putting in at least tacoma.

This is the complete kit I bought and was sent from Toyota
    IMAG0263_zps4ac832a0_72f689906fc303cc2b0dfc4a13b725f3e505a2f1.jpg

This is in the heater core. It is longer in size. I Found the mounting bracket a pain to put back. You need to have your core slightly pulled out from its housing, put the bracket and bolt in, then start to tighten. Push the core all the way till it clips, then finish tightening the bolt.
    IMAG0267_zps25a50be6_bf1fd484538e4c9cdf2da1070e1193ec8eee09dd.jpg

This is the cord itself. I thought i was well made and is long enough you can go mount it almost any where you like.
    IMAG0264_zpsbab20c7f_7c32305502c696dab296c0b5e02b8d6389127a32.jpg

This is the end of the cord, cover open.
    IMAG0265_zps86dec71f_c989f7d15bb63743c98ca3c7b8a9a4555feab9fc.jpg

This is the end of the extention cord, that plug into the vehicle. Comes with one 18" cord and a 8' cord.
    IMAG0266_zps42620920_0abdc6d61cebb8178c851c0c877220b39edf3c42.jpg

This is where I put the plug, it is also the location Toyota puts the plug on the factory trucks. You need to drill a 1" hole thought the plastic to run the cord and seat it in place.
    b20a92ae-5373-4ea3-9805-08ac4706069d_zps_02f0a8a36101400acd5078b3bd37d28d60576111.jpg

So this job sucked. Seemed like a good idea and I love the idea of the new cord being right by the fog light. No more digging out your frozen ice cube cord from the in the grill. Especially when i put in an after market grill and had no where for it to come out.

I paid 100$ for the kit, Toyota wanted 250$ to install it, so I did it myself. Hope this helps.

tacoman45 and scamer like this.
  11. Nov 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    rockhopjohn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
    Wow, that's a totally different kit. I think mine was way cheaper (like around $40), but much less elaborate. Thanks for throwing up some pics.

12. Dec 11, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    GREAT info on this thread--thanks OP.

My 2014 DCSB will be here in two weeks-- we routinely get -20* nights, so I want a block heater--but I want to have either the dealer or shop install it.

For those that have paid someone to install it... what have you paid parts&labor?

Thanks!

13. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    TheGreatPear

TheGreatPear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Gunsan, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 V6 6 Speed

ColeTrain do you have a part number for the new heater?

Thanks

14. Aug 31, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    Thumper450

Thumper450 New Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Off Road, Access Cab
    I worked on this for a few hours, and found an easier way to access the evil bracket bolt. Take the front driver's side wheel off, unclip the two top clips to the rubber inner fender shield, flop it down and you can get a standard 3/8" socket wrench and 17mm socket to fit easily with the handle end of the socket pointing upward. Smaller hands/forearms are handy since you gotta squeeze between the steering shaft and frame, but the leverage you can get, and ratchet swing, is MUCH greater than trying to fumble with it from underneath. My bolt was so tight we set the socket in position, hooked a 4-wheeler winch cable around the handle of the socket, and backed up the 4-wheeler to break it loose. Worked like a charm! ;)

15. Sep 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    TRDWEST

TRDWEST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    CVT RTT, VooDoo 10 inch bed rack

Could you provide a part number please, I am very interested in the kit you purchased

16. Sep 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    TRDWEST

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    anyone know this part number? I have been searching online for the past 4 hours, and I am about to rip my eyeballs out!

17. Sep 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    TRDWEST

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    anyone know this part number?

18. Sep 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    TRDWEST

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    sorry about the extra posts

19. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    TRDWEST

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    So I found out the part number for the new block heater it's pu140-00912. However I few canadian dealerships I called won't take my cc info over the phone and they also won't quote me an international shipping rate to the states. Also I had a local toyota dealer call up to hq toyota in Cali and thy were told that toyota of America WILL NOT distribute the part in the US. so I have no idea how to get this part

20. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    TRDWEST

Member:
    Tucson, AZ Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Anyone up north want to get the new block and I can send some money via paypal and also some extra for a case if beer for the trouble?

Products Discussed in

To Top