1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 v6 at DCSB engine knocking @ 1500 rpm

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by B18blk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jan 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM
    el taco pastor

el taco pastor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    I represent the YAY AREA
    Vehicle:
    Plasti dip emblems Led interior lights Sema pro rims Nitto trail grapplers Bilstein 5100 all around with read AAL
    i had my truck looked at last week by toyota because i was noticing the issue at 50mph slight incline at about 1700 rpm. they figured it out right away and said it was a combustion issue so they had to re configure my ecu. Happy to say the knocking is gone.

2. Jan 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM
    TacoEngineer23

TacoEngineer23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Sport DCB 6MT
    image.jpg

I thought the same thing with my truck. But I came to the conclusion that a new taco sounds like crap and one with 500,000 miles sounds the same. Turn up the radio and give it hell.

3. Feb 24, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    strahler13

strahler13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6
    Well here's my story. Just joined this site. I've got a 2013 Taco V6 that has been pinging from the start. I took it in to the dealer a year or two ago and they said there was nothing they could do. I just kind of gave up and put up with the pinging in warm wx.

Now I checked this forum out and read this blog. I called the dealer and they set up an appointment for tomorrow pm. I've got just under 52K miles and the service writer first said she had to see if that was covered under 3 yr/36K or the drive train warranty. She reported, after checking, that is has warranty coverage.

Will report findings.

Mark

4. Feb 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    I am at a lose, my 2013 Tacoma sounds like there is a tin can rattling away at 2,300-2,500 rpm under load which I concluded was the "Taco Tick" until my foot touched the clutch one day. What I have found now is if there is even an ounce of pressure on the clutch the rattle is gone. It only does this rattle at low RPM. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Also TSB 0044-14 for the spark plug noise is not available in Canada :canada: :(:censored:.

5. Apr 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    Vansurfing

Vansurfing Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Rockport, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021Tacoma TRD off-road/1996 Hilux Surf
    "Inside, the 1GR uses a "taper-squish" combustion chamber design with matching pistons to improve anti-knocking and engine performance, while also improving intake and fuel efficiency."

From Wikipedia : Toyota GR engine.

So they are admitting it does knock a little. For those who were wondering or worried.

6. May 17, 2017 at 5:09 AM
    Kyle Land

Kyle Land Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Charlotte area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100 HS 2.5 Coil HS AAL SPC UCA SCS Ray 10s 17x8.5 Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17
    Hello guys,

I have been reading around several post since I have the same issue with my 2014 Tacoma with only 36k on it.

Yesterday I took to my local dealership and asked about the knocking noise. He said "Yes, your model is known for that, we are more than happy to try to update your ECU." So I had them change my spark plugs and update my ECU.

Finally no more knocking noise!

I live in NC so I walked out paying around $105 dollars just for the spark plugs because I didn't have the time to change them myself.

Hope this helps!

Kyle Land

BassAckwards likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    My 2013 DCSB 6spd v6 has been pinging pretty badly lately due to a lack of premium gas here in central texas. Ive had to fill it up with the 87 and noticed it was getting worse over the past few weeks. After reading through this thread i decided to stop and get some octane booster after work today. Dumped the whole bottle in and i noticed a significant difference in the noise it was making. I still heard it occaisionally on the way home but i drove the living shit out of the truck trying to replicate it, and had trouble getting it to. Prior to this it sounded like there were BB's rattling around inside the motor whenever i would even slightly step on the gas. I am assuming that once the VVTI starts to adjust over the next couple of tanks of premium, that the noise will go away or be very minimal. I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread and point out that threads like these are what makes this site truly great. Im glad i joined and im sure ill be a member for a very long time. Thank you everyone! :D

8. Oct 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I had the TSB performed. Truck still knocks, but is much less. I tried 89 octane, and the knocking is still there. I'm about to jump to 92 octane.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to try next?

I have a 2014 Tacoma so I'm still under the powertrain warranty. I was thinking about going back to the dealer to at least document. Would different spark plugs help?

I saw that the manual indicates some knocking to occur and I suppose Toyota would call this normal. Just concerned/curious is all.

9. Feb 1, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    HillCountryTaco

HillCountryTaco Member

Member:
    I found this thread the other day as I’ve experienced the same knocking noise on slight inclines with my 2012. I called my local dealership and as soon as I used the term ‘spark knock’, the service manager said yes, this is ECU issue. They updated the software and the knock is gone.

Thank you guys for solving a problem that’s been bugging me for several years now.

12TRDTacoma and BassAckwards like this.
  10. Apr 15, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    Accipiter13

Accipiter13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Does anyone know the TSB Number for a 2011 Tacoma, dealer says they couldn’t find anything under spark knock or any keywords for 2011. Said the other one applied to 12-14

old55guy likes this.
  11. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    Accipiter13

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    I pulled the battery cable, cleaned the maf and filled up with premium. I’ll see if it makes a difference.

12. May 18, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    esotaco

esotaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Silver 4.0L AT SR5 4X4
    Even though you are an '11, I would try to get in under the 12-14 TSB anyway.

Attached Files:

13. Sep 30, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Is there a way to check if the TSB for the "rattle can" was done on my vehicle? I've always had that noise while accelerating, so I'm assuming no. It's a 2011, and I've had it for about 6-7 years. I've never received a recall or TSB, but I'm signed up on Toyota's site for them.

On the flip side... I am getting a new "ping, knock banging" noise today that has me very worried.. louder than I've ever ever heard my engine. It's also been running a little rich lately (or smells different, at least). Now I'm worried.

I did use some crappy 87 fuel from rebel a few days ago and now I'm regretting that decision. I'm almost tempted to siphon half of it out and go put 92 in.

This noise is the loudest in park, is still pretty noticeable in drive, and slows way down when I put it in reverse. I was doing this in my garage, so the sound was amplified, but still. Worrying me.

14. Sep 30, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    Accipiter13

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    I tried to get in under the 2012 TSB and that was a no-go.

I’m at 130k miles of low rpm knocking/rattling. If I switch to 91 it definitely is reduced, and also goes away when the engine is cold.

I think it’s just another 1GR-FE quirk. It’s loud, shakes, rattles, clicks, pings, and usually lasts longer than the rest of the truck.

15. Sep 30, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    The acceleration rattle is nothing new and I've heard it for years..... What I'm hearing today is completely different

16. Oct 3, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Toyota won't do it on a 2011. Not sure why it only applies to 2012 and up.

As far as the new noise, hard to say without even hearing it. Can you post a short sound/video clip of the truck making the noise? My shot-in-the-dark is a cracked flex plate.

Products Discussed in

To Top