1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Won't Accelerate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zul, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Sep 3, 2015 at 5:50 AM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Hello all,
    I left for work this morning and started down the road as normal. Once I got onto the main road out of the neighborhood, I noticed that my truck didn't seem to be accelerating as normal. Then I saw the engine light and Trac Off lights illuminate and knew something was up. I pulled into an empty parking lot and turned it off, back on, then tested the acceleration and shifting. The truck acts normal up until about 20 MPH, then doesn't seem to upshift (that's my interpretation of it at least, I don't know...), which means I can floor it and the acceleration just sort of creeps up. But the tachometer didn't seem to go very high either. I was never able to get it above 30 MPH.

Help! Truck is 2012 4wd Double Cab Automatic V6. No work done other than regular maintenance. Is this a known issue? Something I can alleviate at home? I may or may not be able to get it into the shop today, and I don't have a code reader to see what error codes the truck is throwing. I need to get into work so this is messing up my day :(

Thanks for your help!

Edit. Just went around the block again to make sure I didn't do something stupid like leave the parking brake on. Truck acts just fine at 1000-2000 RPM, but then refuses to shift (?) and the tach stops dead at 2500 RPM no matter how hard I press the gas.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Markschexnayder likes this.
  2. Sep 3, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    Is it under warranty

3. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Yes

4. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Time to go to Toyota

wilcam47, Kyitty and greeneggsnspam like this.
  5. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    sdoheny

sdoheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    N-Fab Text black 3 main tube, led interior lighting, sylvania ultra head lamps, led map/dome/license plate, rail mounted bed lights, trd skid plate, Aero Turbin muffler swap, MRBP Black Exhaust Tip, weather tech, fuel trophy, duratrac 265 70 17, plasti dip badges, Icon stage 4 suspension, TRD shift knob, AFE CAI, Raptor Light MOD.
    I had this problem. Its in a default mode that limits the trucks power. I went to advance and had the codes read. Turns our that my air system valve that is responsible for heating up the catalytic converters upon start up were stuck open. Took to toyota under warranty. They fixed it and I am good to go. Good luck.

6. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    Twalt87

Twalt87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    Could be lots of things. Could have gone into limp-in mode due to what ever set the code(wont let you shift and low throttle). Its under warranty though so no question, take it to dealer.

7. Sep 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Managed to get it to the nearby dealer. Turns out the air pump motor or valve or some such thing went awry and the truck went into limp-home mode, which is what I was feeling when trying to drive it. Service tech said they'd take a look and it will be under my extended warranty if not the default mfg warranty still. Got a call this afternoon that the parts to fix it won't be in until tomorrow so I have to survive the evening without my baby :( But should be good to go by tomorrow afternoon!

mabepossibly and wilcam47 like this.
  8. Sep 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM
    Twalt87

Twalt87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    Glad to here you got it fixed and that it was nothing serious. Gotta watch that valve in my truck lol, same year.

9. Sep 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Just picked her up. Actually it was the valve AND the pump itself. Billed at just under $1700 for parts & service, got away with just paying the $50 deductible (and they picked me up from work!). Very glad I finagled the dealer down for the extended warranty - it's now saved me over three times what I payed for it!

crackils and wilcam47 like this.
  10. Sep 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I thought anything related to emissions was covered for 5 years by the factory warranty?
    No need for the extended for this.

ManBeast likes this.
  11. May 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    TurtleMonkeyTaco

TurtleMonkeyTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Turtle
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    K&N AirFilter, Ranch Topper
    I've got a 2012 DCSB OR that literally just did the same thing you described in your post. It won't go past 40 and the RPMs shoot. I've got a buddy with a diagnosis reader for check engines, so ill be connecting with him first. Unfortunately no Toyota warranty :( Anyone know if the air pump/valve can be fixed at home?

Thanks for the help!

*Update* It was diagnosed as P2442 - Secondary Air Intake - I watched a quick video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszca0f1Fnc that helped troubleshoot the issue. The sponge was a bit dirty and went one step further by taking the whole assembly piece off and testing the motor. It did look like some of the sponge had deteriorated into the motor. I cleaned that and connected to a battery to test the motor of the fan. I reassembled and turned it back on. The Check engine light was off, went for a quick drive and everything seemed to be running smoothly. pheeeeeewwww. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :)

*UPDATE* The light came back on :( Called Toyota, you all are correct, under warranty no charge to replace. They have ordered the parts, now the waiting game starts. There goes the weekend plans...
    *UPDATE* Toyota add the replacement parts at no costs. Took two days for parts to come in and 1 full day to do the work.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  12. May 9, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Sounds like the air pump took a shit. There is an extended warranty on this for the 2012

BassAckwards likes this.
  13. May 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    It's now covered fully under warranty.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DustStorm4x4, scocar, uurx and 2 others like this.
  14. May 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    JayRolla

JayRolla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Wife's 2012 DCSB Tacoma Sr5
    Trd stickers for 10whp 32s on MK6 17s
    I think what causes it is the internal filter gets hard, brittle and sucks into the pumps blades destroying the pump. Good thing is yes it can be replaced. Bad thing is the OEM pump is $600. I think it used to sell for over $1200. Not sure how the aftermarket ones do. But like stated above it should be still covered under warranty.

But when you do replace it you want to remove the stock internal foam filter and add the uni filter. Was the first mod I did to the wifes tacoma. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/uni-filter-mod-on-2-7.489348/

15. May 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    Toyota has admitted the issue. There were notices mailed out but not everyone received them.
    [​IMG]

16. May 9, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    Faster than me!

17. May 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    But yours is much easier to read.

18. May 9, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    TurtleMonkeyTaco

TurtleMonkeyTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Turtle
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Seriously you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info. I just ordered the uni part to get rid of the old foam.

19. May 9, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    TurtleMonkeyTaco

TurtleMonkeyTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Turtle
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road

Any idea as to when you got this letter? I checked under my toyota and my truck does not have this as an open recall/warranty

20. May 9, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    I don't know about your local laws but perhaps you can bypass that stupid shit somehow.Not sure bc I have a 2007... It's just for emissions anyway

Markschexnayder likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top