1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Access Cab 4cyl auto more power?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by skitheeast, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    vickster83

vickster83 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 5 lug DC

Where do you live that you can sacrifice your A/C? And what's it like without any power steering?

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    I saw your first post and was going to reply:

"Hey, I did exactly what you did." ;)

It's no sacrifice.:)
    I drove my 1st gen Tacoma for 17 years with no AC, and have learned to become acclimated to the seasons.

No power steering is just fine because I'm running light low rolling resistance passenger car tires...

bth_IMG_7117_zps183752be_a0c07d01f603f93687221cdf85778bb8476ba1a4.jpg

...and not big heavy "wagon wheel" truck tires. Standard cabs are also the lightest version of Tacomas. Moving it steers easy, while parking there is more turning resistance. Besides the simplicity and freeing up a little extra power, I also like manual steering because I have a better feel of the road. With power steering there is zero feedback.

3. Jun 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    As far as zero tactile feedback with the power steering I must disagree. Once the tires on my Taco got 10K on them or so, the feedback became real good.I can tell exactly what the tires are doing. At 64K now and still have lots of evenly worn tread left. I owned a car without power steering in the 70's, and loved it, but it weighed 2300 lb.

4. Jun 14, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    I'm thinking ol' Toot is a hidden resource in the 2nd Gen fo-cylindaz application... I mean hey, header on a Yaris? How flippin' kewl is that! Kinda like adding a hi-flow airbox, Mandrell bent full exhaust and bumped up jetting in the carburetor of your kids Pit-bike... which I did. Likewise, I grasp the need for each modification to improve flow, both intake and exhaust, complimenting the other.

Still, a little confused on how removing restrictions from the remaining OEM exhaust system would cause a drop in power?

Preach on it Greg! :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  5. Jun 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    Yeah, I'm old school... ;)

...and like the mechanical feel of manual steering.

6. Jun 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    You're right, the little Yaris is the "pit bike" of cars. ;)

Not a loss of top end power, just the low end torque. The engine actually needs some exhaust back pressure for optimum operation at very low rpms.

7. Jun 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    no a/c here in hawaii is not even an option, thats insane. No power steering? damn that would suck i have to say. Flushing my girls power steering in here honda made the wheels a bitchto move back and forth while parked. I wouldnt want that on a daily for sure. but to each his own.

8. Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    You need only to ask yourself this question: How did the Hawaiians live without it?

The answer is that they widened their comfort zone by becoming acclamated to the natural seasonal weather changes. Becoming dependent on air conditioning narrows people's comfort zone to the point where just a few degrees outside of that narrow range and they're totally miserable.

I live in LA where it gets plenty hot, but I just learned to get used to it. Same with our home. No AC there either. Simply turn on a fan, drink some lemonade, and you're fine. :thumbsup:

The old manual steering trick is to have your wheels moving while you turn, even if it's only a few inches, then it's way easier. ;)

It's just a personal preference and everyone is totally free to choose. I came from a time when power steering was an extra option and manual steering was normal.

9. Jun 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    lol i wont even lie my comfort zone is fully adjusted to ac. Especially in the traffic we have in this tropical climate which is now the worst in the nation. But i like staying up with technology and just being comfortable. I dont really understand the benefits of removing advancements in a new vehicle. I wouldnt even buy a new truck if i was going to do that.

oh and tropical sweaty nasty heat is much less comfortable then your dry cali or texas type heat.

Also the hawaiians were conquered because they never advanced with technology as quick as the rest of the world. lol sad but true fact. No ac for them either lol

10. Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    paging Kona... clean up page 2

11. Jun 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    lol no hate but thats what happened. Just like with many other races of people over time. But ac wouldnt have helped them tho!

12. Jun 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Idk, Ive never lived in a place with ac.... haha

But the Hawaiians got conquered because it would be us vs the US, not much we could have done

I'm not even ethnically Hawaiian, so by us I mean Hawaiians. Haha

13. Jun 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yah because you guys have all the nice roads and uncrowded action. You cant have it all lol i at least deserve my shitty apartment crammed next a million people with my a/c lol Nah im from punaluu so this is my first ac experience.

Oh and yah that and they didnt have guns back in the day, or the bj penn gym lol!

14. Jun 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I spent 14 months in Vietnam and became acclimated to the hot humid climate there just fine. Humans can be highly adaptive, but they lose that ability when there are other compensations available. That's just human nature. ;)

15. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    The Doug Thorley header made a huge difference on my truck. Nothing else did. The volant intake came off and I actually got horsepower back.

16. Jun 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Damnit I been looking at thw lce header and I'm so back and forth whether to drop the money or not! I've heard a million different things!

17. Jun 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lol ill have to agree there

18. Jun 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    I wanted the LCE header but they stopped making them. When I tried to buy it, they refunded my money, then about a year later they started making them again. Given that's equal length it is slightly more efficient. It is worth the money for the LCE, but it's not worth the money if you've already bought a DT header.

19. Jun 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    If you are stock & want a few more torques on the low end which is where our engines are the most efficient then yes.

20. Jun 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I went with LCE on my 2012, because I ran one on my 1st gen for a decade and it worked great.

IMG_0166_zpsf55cbaa1_a160473be1bad345be6f141cdc591e0669a358a4.jpg

I really like their attention to details like the perfect way it fits the 2.7, and how elegantly they incorporated the air channels into the mounting flange instead of running all of those ugly external tubing loops. I'm sure they both work just fine, but I chose LCE for their superior aesthetics.

IMG_6922_zps7dbbc322_db36918c9cdcbebab39adf9a953ae343ac2c6d5c.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top