1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 DCSB TRD O/R *The Spruce Goose*

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by djthemac, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Oct 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    djthemac

djthemac [OP] Pee shooter, bandaid applier!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR spruce green
    I went with an icon stage 2 lift kit which includes the rear remote ressies 2.0.

When I first got into this project I was shooting for a one and done mentality, get the suspension set up and leave it. I quickly learned how fun and rewarding it is to tool on our trucks and started to think about a full suspension upgrade.

With the addition of the CVT tent the truck only has about a 1.5" rake, so I will most likely go with an allpro full leaf pack replacement.

2. Oct 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '13 Spruce Mica DCSB TRD OR
    Thanks for the response. I have the exact truck you do, even down to the color. I pretty much want the same build you have give or take. My original plan was to go with the OME kit but I've really been leaning towards the icon kit. I don't wheel but my truck sees a lot of dirt. Between scouting for hunts and hunting I'm off road 40% or so of my drive time. I see plenty of 4WD roads and creek bottoms with boulders, rocks etc.

The more I read the more I'm leaning towards the icon stage 2, as I think it better suits my needs. Icon shocks all the way around, Dakar leak pack, TC UCA's.

Any thoughts or tips?

3. Oct 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I was torn between the OME and ICON lift. I think both would be suitable for light offroading, however it seems like there are a multitude of people who went OME at first and then after sticking with it decided to go to ICON/FOX/Kings and would have done so initially if they could redo it. I'd rather just do it right the first time. Some have complained of stiff shocks from the ICON digressive valving (it actually tends to smooth out as you go faster), but I haven't really noticed. Remote Ressies are available for the front shocks to, but I plan to use my truck for slower trails and not hitting woops and hucking at high speed so I opted not to go that route.

If you are planning to do aftermarket upper control arms (TC/Camburg/Light Racing) I would order the ICONs with the extended travel from the get go. I ordered normal travel and ended up sending them back to ICON to get revalved for a fee when I added the UCA. You are ok to roll with an extended travel coilover without UCAs if you need to save cash initially. Also I was able to get the truck aligned with no issue and 2.5" of lift set from the factory with no problems. I also did not notice any wandering at highway speeds that some people have. With that said, UCAs are definitely the way to go.

As far as installation, they are a piece of cake, the fronts went on in about 1 hour, the rear took about 3 to add the leaf and drop the axel, but all of the install was completed with a buddy in a garage on jack stands, with basic tools. I think total install time was around 3:45.

I liked the stance of my truck with just the Icon add a leaf, approx 2.5" higher in the rear compared to the front, but it is highly recommended to go with a full leaf pack if you are towing or carry a ton of gear, and I will eventually pick up a set.

I think you would be well served with an icon stage 2 and your choice of UCAs

4. Oct 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips. I plan on eventually getting the bed rack bars like you have and recovery gear. Plus I tow my rhino and bowfishing boat occasionally along with all my camping/hunting gear so I'm for sure getting the full pack. I'll deal with the stiffness when I'm unloaded.

We're you satisfied with the amount of lift you achieved? I'm hoping to get 3" but I'm sure I wouldn't even notice the difference if I only got 2.5. I'll have my stock tires/wheels for at least 20k more miles before I upgrade anyway.

Thanks again for the tips. I appreciate it.

5. Oct 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Not a problem! I am pretty satisfied with the amount of lift. I got larger 700# coils from ICON due to the winch and steel bumper and I believe I was up 2.75" when I had everything installed. You can also adjust them up and down to your liking, however you lose some down articulation if you start adjusting them from the original factory setting.

Have you considered wheels and tires? I am really digging my ST MAXXs with the caveat that they are pretty heavy. The 255/85/16 size is pretty unique in that it is almost a 33" tire and does not give up to much width cross section compared to my stock set up. This coupled with the 2.75" from the coilovers fit the bill for my lift needs.

6. Oct 19, 2015 at 4:28 AM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and tires are on the list but more than likely I will get the remaining life out of my stockers before I head down that road. I only have 20k miles on my truck so it gives me plenty of time to save the cash and decide what I want. How was the ride with those 700# coils before you added the bumper and winch?

7. Oct 30, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I think I only had the suspension on for a week or so before I got the bumper mounted. Everything went on at roughly the same time, but from my recollection it was stiff but not unbearably so.

8. Dec 3, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    Think im going to order the same bed bars now I purchased an rtt! Are those the standard or tall height?

9. Dec 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    As much as I love my pelfreybilt stuff and was highly considering their bed rack, I am very happy I went with the RF bars to get the RTT a little bit lower.

I went with the tall option from relentless fab, with the Quick Fist and side mount high lift jack option

redtacoma88[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 9, 2016 at 12:15 PM
    300AACTaco

300AACTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black '15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARB Old Man Emu 90000s and 60091s OME 886s, Trim Packer, Icon Tubular Uniball UCAs, CMC, Invisible Sway Bar, Dakar Rear Leaf Packs, Timbren Rear Bumpstops, All Pro U-bolt flip up kit, Method Race Wheels NV 16X8 4.5BS, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16, DEPO Black Tail Lights, Weathertech Floormats, Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta in Earth Tone Green, Custom Green Tree Fabrication Bed Rack, N-Fab Spare Tire Bed Mount
    How is your view out of the rear window with the RTT mounted back there? Also how tall are those bed bars? Are they the 8" tall model? I just ordered 6" tall bed bars from All Pro to mount my CVT Mt. Shasta on, also how does the annex sit when it's set up? I've heard of some people that don't have their RTT sitting completely roof level having problems with the lengths of the annex walls being too long. Sorry for the barrage of questions lol

11. Feb 25, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    GeoScout

GeoScout Calgary Geo

Member:
    First Name:
    Vill
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD SPORT 6MT
    MAGNUSON Superchager URD 2.85 Pulley Icon Stage 9 Pelfreybilt Armor AFE INTAKE TRD EXHAUST TRD QUICK SHIFTER Warn Zeon 10S Icon Alloy - Six Speeds Nitto Ridge Grapplers TRD Pro Grill Leer XR Canopy Front Runner Roof racks Treeline Outdoors RTT
    I would also love to know the answer to this question. Looking at getting 2 Relentless Fab Tall bars and a Mt. Shasta.
    Also, any reason other than functionality that you went with 3 bars? I'm not sure its necessary. Thanks!

12. Jul 1, 2016 at 9:13 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Went from Zero to Hero pretty quick:

List of new mods:

Pelfreybilt rear high clearance bumper
    Exhaust re-route
    BAMF LCA skid plates

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AZ2013 and 300AACTaco like this.
  13. Jul 1, 2016 at 10:35 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Reroute, broughtthe clearance up a few inches.

[​IMG]

14. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Just got the truck back from the shop, added quite a few things!

Build list
    Yeasu FTM 100DR with mag mount
    Tech Deck with 2 magnetic RAM balls for cell phone and HAM MIC
    OME heavy duty leaf pack
    Off Road Designs Limiting straps
    35" COOPER STT PRO MT
    CMC
    Fender CHOP
    Safari Snorkel HILUX mod
    Grey Man Tactical molle plate for rifle

Tech Deck
    [​IMG]

15. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  16. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    djthemac

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Truck Gun
    Billet Noveske Chainsaw Gen 2 Lower
    Noveske MK18 10.5"
    Primary Arms Micro Red Dot
    LAW Tactical Folding stuff
    BCM PNT trigger
    SB tactical brace

Mount
    Gray Man tactical molle rack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jul 7, 2018 at 11:25 PM
    BraskaTaco

BraskaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR
    Need more pics! Is your PB front steel or aluminum?

18. Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    jknubbles

jknubbles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Looks great / very similar to mine. I just wish I could’ve found that color :/

Products Discussed in

To Top