1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 T.A.Co. Gathering - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Moab' started by NYCO, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    yeah yeah i know second gens are heavier lol. easily seen when snow wheeling. but yes u do have us on the rust factor....

2. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    but plastic does break ;) and its impossible to fix and make it look new again, metal rust but with a little spit and paint its like it never happened. :) and its stronger then plastic. I hate how cars these days are all plastic, but in a way its better cause there lighter, but there weaker

3. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    solution: just dont live in shitty states that salt the roads lol

and konsta, i cant head down that early, too many days of work missed

4. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Alright guys.. quick question about Tie Rods..

I've had a clunk in my front end for a while. Today I jacked the truck up, took off the front wheels, wiggled the hub left and right. no play up and down, just left and right. I felt all the components on the spindle while wiggling, and the movement goes up the tie rod. Outer TRE seems ok, but I pulled the boot off the Inner TRE and the ball has play in the socket. Can anyone confirm if the TRE should be able to hold it's self up? (when disconnected from the spindle and just lifted up?). It definitely seems too loose but its the same on both sides so I have nothing to compare it against. Seems like it's easy enough and cheap enough to just change them out but I'm curious about them since I've never messed with them before.

5. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Plastic tends to flex and then pop back to its original shape.
    Says the guy that lives in a state that salts the shit.out of their roads now:rolleyes:

Side note: 2nd gens make more power than 1st gens and with that extra power they are still faster even though they are heavier and they get the same if not better mileage than 1st gen while doing that:cool:

6. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    if your going to replace them you should replace the upper and lower B-joints cause a lot of times that could be the issue. just my 2cents

EDIT: and cause your going to end up doing the alignment anyway, so replace the joints so you wont have to do it again

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  7. Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    I was being sarcasm. I always hear first Gen guys yelling me How much heavier their truck is than mine because the have a skid plate Or two Haha. I work with steel. It's not that goddamn heavy.

8. Apr 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    At 490# per cubic foot... its not that heavy...

9. Apr 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Truck's back on all fours....and locked front and rear :D

10. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    NativeTaco

NativeTaco Mountain Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCLB
    ARB, OME, BAMF, ATO, Rigid, more... Mountain Man Limousine
    :jellydance:

11. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    bulhas

bulhas the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    well only a couple more days and the truck goes under the knife lol

lockers get installed next week
    12" shocks
    BL
    and maybe my 37's :p

and than when I get home i should have a crawl box and a bumper to put on :p
    and I might have one small thing to install at MOAB but that means small ;)

I should add shift work is killing me lol, if i was working 1 and 1 it wouldn't be so bad, but away from home and my garage for 2 weeks at a time and than only home for 1 week, and this upcoming days off I only get Wednesday, Thursday, Friday to do what i want as I have to go home for the weekend for family reasons

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  12. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    anyone else have any advice?

13. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    NativeTaco

NativeTaco Mountain Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCLB
    I would just change them. Not sure if you would need to realign afterwards though. You could keep any that seemed on still for trail spares.

14. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    bulhas

bulhas the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    alignment would be recommended as you are messing with the way the truck tires point forward

and TBH whats an alignment anyways, i typically have to get one after every major wheeling trip :p

15. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    yea i get quite a few alignments a year. absolutely getting one before driving 5,000 miles to go to moab lol.

I was just hoping someone has some experience with Tie Rods and could say oh yea those are shot but still have some life in them or oh no those are completely shot and you better change them out asap. I was thinking of keeping them as spares until I get another new set for spares since they are pretty affordable. I'd just like to know a little more about them.

16. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    bulhas

bulhas the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    honestly id just change it, i know my tie rod could hold the weight on its own

the clunk though has me curious though, is it only while turning, is it at a stop and go, is it turning left or right, or only going over a bump??

17. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    No one has skids made out of cubic feet of steel haha.

18. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    NativeTaco

NativeTaco Mountain Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCLB
    X2
    When you take off the old ones you can compare to the new ones and see where the issue is and decide whether or not they are worth keeping.

19. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.

What about your Demello bumper? Isn't the body lift going to leave a fat gap?

20. Apr 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :rofl: Not even sure I have a cubic foot of steel between my skids and both bumpers! Might be close though:D haha

Products Discussed in

To Top