1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 taco having steering wheel shakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingdesgn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    It's not loose lug nuts. If they were loose at all your wheel would be off in no time. You'd here it banging too. Most likely a balance issue.

2. Sep 21, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I had the same problem. I had some winter tires installed around the same time I added 5100's so I wasn't sure what the cause was. Then, in the spring I had the summer tires and wheels installed and it was perfect. Pissed me off that I didn't go in have have them rebalanced and I spent the whole winter like that!!. Last winter I had the winter tires and wheels rebalanced and it was perfect!

Some times the vibration was worse than others as I went down the hwy.

:D

3. Sep 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I've got 44,000k on the original Dunflop AT20's and beaten the living crap out of them with zero issues; if they weren't so bad in the snow, I'd buy another set.

4. Sep 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I have a 2012 with the same issue. Mine came with BFG rugged terrains. 4 out of 6 failed road balancing. Still not 100% sure that is the only issue. Its so random, its hard to nail down.

5. Sep 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    sub'd.

btw hope it's not your drive train - this problem and Toyota's denial have got me so pissed that I tell everyone who asks about my truck and it's also my first and last Toyota.

6. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Kingdesgn

Kingdesgn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner with Custom wheels
    Last weekend I got my wheels balanced. They said they were a little off. I test drove it and no vibration. I drive the truck 120 miles a day and noticed that every once in a while I get a vibration. I got home this even in crawled underneath the truck and checked out the drive shaft and noticed that it can be rotated right and left making a clunking noise. I restored a 64 Ford Galaxie and it's not doing that at all. Is this a normal thing that I'm able to do that? OR ... can some one entertain the thought and try to do that to their own to see if I'm not going crazy? I have a feeling that it's not normal.

7. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    They are not the easiest wheels to balance the centers are very large and if they do not know hat they are doing you will get a shake. A drive shaft will not cause a shake in the steeling wheel tire balance will.

8. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Kingdesgn

Kingdesgn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner with Custom wheels
    I hope that's the case ... Other people are having the exact same issues and are saying that it's the drive line. I had a 2006 that did the exact same as well .... when the drive line was replaced, the truck drove like a dream and all the sudden it started doing it again. I hope this 2013 won't have these issues.

9. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I have 2012 taco sport with 10,000 miles, mine was smooth on test drive and up to 500 miles then the vibration/shake started.Dealer has road force balanced and rotated problem went away for a week or so now back. I just had it looked at again by a service manager who's a good friend and he say it's road feedback I disagree, I've contacted corporate office and file a complaint I got a lot of attention but so far no resolution to problem.

I suggest being firm with what you want and file complaint with Toyota Corporation 1-800-331-4331 and National Highway Safety Board you'll need to look up their site pretty straight forward.

I'm currently have an appointment with there District Advisory on June 20th, I'm pretty done with Toyota Tacoma's even the rental Tundra I drove did this.You need to decide what you want, dealer buy back , lemon law etc. These could be options for you which I'm looking into for me.

Good Luck !!

10. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    My 2013 has done this since new and I now have 5,000miles on it. Mine seems to be the worst around 60 mph and then it kind of goes away after that. My steering wheels shakes back and forth. It's not violent shaking and if I hold the wheel very tight I can make it somewhat stop but if I let go of the wheel, it shakes back and forth. It seems like it is MUCH worse if the road is rough. I've talk to my dealer about it and they rebalanced the tires and rotated them but it didn't change anything.

I'm not overly impressed with the service department at my local dealer though. I'm going back in for the 2nd time on a serpentine belt squeal also!!!

11. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport Black
    Access Tonneau TRD Skid Plate Grillcraft (shortly)

I have the same problem on my 2013. I have 900 miles on it. It happens around 70 MPH than goes away.

12. Jun 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    Soooooooo, since this seem to be a common issue, why the F$$k can't they seem to fix it?!?!?!

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't have much faith in the Toyota dealer's service dept. when it comes to them fixing stuff. Sure, they are great about saying "bring it in we'll take a look at it" but it's becoming a real pain in the ass to drop it off 2-3 times for them to finally get shit fixed. I'm going back for the 3rd time on the belt squeal and it not only is pissing me off that it still isn't fixed but it's a major pain in the ass leaving my Taco at the dealer for the day and all they have is a shuttle service, no loaner cars. At least when I have my Ford worked on they gave me a loaner car.

13. Jun 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Hi guys, Some post suggest Michlin Tire 's Tour Gt or Goodyear silent
    Armor. Also everyone you must file complaint with Toyota Motor Corporation
    And National Highway Safty website . This is the only way Toyota will know
    How much of an issue this and it's not our imagination or road feed back

Jon

14. Jun 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    You threw a wheel weight?

15. Jun 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    I had this same problem with my 2012 DCLB Sport. I reported on here last year about this. Dealer tried everything, balance road force balance, and rotation's. They even replaced wheels and tires same problem. Toyota list 30 psi in door jamb sticker. I thought to myself this seems way to low of a tire pressure. So, I increased tire pressure to 36psi, and low and behold shake went away. Not a problem since. Called dealer and they now increase all there Tacoma's to 36 psi. I have Bridestone's on my truck from factory. Tires are flat spotting, with low psi.

Give it a shot. A few people here have and it resolved there shake also.

16. Jun 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    That sure sounds easy enough and I'll give it a try. My 13 dbl cab TRD OR still has the stock wheels and tires with little over 5,000 miles

17. Jun 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Just got new tires. Michelin LTX AT2. Stock size, stock rims, 35psi. No shakes from the front end anymore. Michelin FTW.

18. Jun 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Doesn't matter what it is, the dealership will fix it for free or you go on the warpath.

19. Jun 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    My 13 access cab shook like hell at 70 mph right off the lot. Got better over the next few days but not all better. Dealer found the 2 front rims were bent and had to replace them first before balancing.
    New rims, balance. Problem over 90% better. I still notice a small amount from time to time on smooth roads, but has to be 70 mph.
    Obviously seriously flat spotted from sitting on the lot for months, plus bent rims. How they got bent ... Shipping? Factory mishandling? Who knows.
    I've decided on Michelin m&s 2's, but not till these are half gone or better. They are fine for now.
    These dunlops are prone to flat spotting, though with daily use seem to be ok as far as vibration, and now have about 5000 miles on em to date. Had a bit of hydro planing one day with heavy rains. Two incidents on the same trip.
    Overall I'm not too impressed. On dry warm days, using 34psi, good pavement, they feel pretty reasonable for ride and cornering. But those aren't challenging conditions.

20. Jun 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    haider320

haider320 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Double Cab SR5 4x4
    My 13 shakes out on the hwy. It's not crazy but I can feel it through the steering wheel. I can also see my front passenger seat slightly shaking. Stock Dunlop's with 34psi right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top