1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Tuffy Security Console Insert / Safe Installation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scott1972, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sep 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    Scott1972

Scott1972 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Clara Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Intermittent Wipers!
    You never know when you're going to have to leave a sandwich or two in your truck. These days there are a lot of places that don't like it if you enter their place of business with your sandwich. What are you supposed to do with it then? Leave it out? Of course not... you don't want your kids or passerbys to casually be able to access your sandwiches. Also god forbid, if someone broke into your truck and stole one of your sandwiches, you would never live it down. So today I installed a Tuffy Security products Safe in the center console of my Tacoma, to significantly improve my sandwich storage capabilities.

I couldn't find any online installation tips, and it did not come with any instructions so I have decided to post the steps here on Tacoma World, to give something back to the community from which I have taken so very much (you know, knowledge-wise. I found that bedliner in the trash).

Some information on the transaction: The part number I purchased was 314-01 for 2nd Gen Tacomas. I placed the order July 27th and received it this week, the first week of September. It was backordered and they let me know that after my order was placed via email. It appeared to be in stock on the website. Not a deal breaker for me, I wasn't in a hurry. I upgraded to a combo luck, part number 082, which they were nice enough to install and ship with the unit, ready to go. I paid $175.01 for this setup out the door.

First of all, you should know this is not actually a "safe." Tuffy is very careful not to show you what you get on their website, because you get this:

16.jpg

It's a little AT-AT replica that sits in your console. Confidence in the security strength of the product and Storm Trooper not included.

But that's ok. After staring at it for a while and tugging on my console, I realized it's a lot more secure than the absolutely nothing I have right now. And so we begin!

You will need:
    5.jpg

Actually, just park your truck as close to the garage as you can. You'll be going back and fourth a lot.

Step one: Take inventory. You'll have the insert part, two brackets that kind of make sense (they span the bottom of the console and have a hole for the original mounting bolts), one that makes no sense and is awkwardly oversized, a rubber strip to go on the metal edges and a bag of hardware.
    14.jpg

Step two: Remove the trash & the little piece of carpet from the console. then insert the insert. I REALLY wish I had masking-taped off the inside of the console, so try that and avoid this:
    13.jpg

Step 3: Realize the two brackets that span the bottom of the console to mount the insert (using the original mounting holes) have the holes drill about 1/2" too far to the rear. Take a second an study it, then move on to step 4.

11.jpg

Step 4: Turn the brackets around then mark where you will drill your new holes. In the steel. Yes really. I marked mine with a scratch awl and had to make a few trips back and fourth to the garage to elongate the holes to get everything to line up. I started with a 9/32 holes but would recommend using a bigger bit to save time. Just don't go so big that the mounting screws Tuffy included will slip through. Oh and since my holes were off, the bolt started funny and damaged the threads in the mounting holes under the console, which I had to clean up with a 6x1.00M tap.
    9.jpg

Step 5: Remember the awkwardly oversized other bracket? Before you bolt everything together, you need to sneak it into the driver side of the console between the insert and the wall of the console. Then it has a couple of screws that hold it in place. This is my least favorite piece of the Tuffy Console Insert setup, it really screws you over later (skip to step 9 and maybe you can save yourself some vacuuming by doing this on your workbench):

12.jpg

Step 6: Tighten everything up. Good luck with those little screws on the outside of the main brackets, Tuffy left you precisely ONE thread revolution to screw them into. I had to bore out the main mounting bolt holes to get these to line up right.
    7.jpg

Step 7: Cut a little bit off the carpet piece and put it back in. Apply the rubber strip to the inside edge (I chose to cut it into 3 pieces but you can probably just shape it if you prefer). It looks pretty good right?
    4.jpg

Step 8: Enjoy your handywork. You've done an excellent job and overcome some very poor QC on Tuffy's part. But they can't stop you. You're a steak eating, Tacoma driving, sandwich-toting badass!
    6.jpg

Step 9: Close the original console lid over the installed Tuffy "safe" - It was a lot of work but at least that project's done. Now to just open that lid back up again... HA! FOOLED YOU! Get your Dremel out, Brougham. Useless awkward bracket is back. It's now blocking the inside of the release lever of the console lid. Smack the lid open but try not to destroy the latch. Here's what you cut out to make it open normally again:2.jpg

You should end up with a notch like this one, that mirrors the original latch surface:
    17.jpg

And that's all there is to it. It actually feels pretty secure once it's mounted. I can yank on the housing and it shakes the truck, which is my usual test for is cargo strapped down securely enough. I don't know if you could pry it open, but I'm going to guess it would at least slow down someone who was breaking into it. Hopefully long enough that they decide they don't want to linger, make noise and draw attention to themselves trying to smash their way in.

I guess the more important part is I don't have to worry about the kids, clients for work or whoever else might riding shotgun finding my unattended sandwiches. That would NOT go over well with the wife, who disapproves of my sandwich habit to begin with.

So if I haven't talked you out of buying one of these console inserts, at least you know what you're in for in a few months when it shows up. I was really considering the Console Vault brand, and I can tell you while I did save about $100 I don't think it was worth it. Your mileage may vary, however - good luck if you do try one of these out!

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Jun 29, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    WolfPackPreRunner

WolfPackPreRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red PreRunner TRD SR5 Sport V6
    Well, you just convinced me to spring for the Lock'er Down. Thanx..

lagbc, tomwil and Scott1972[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 29, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    baldridge

baldridge War Eagle!!!!! KN4OYZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad and 2015 Black Prerunner SR5
    OME Lift with HD Dakar’s C4 Slim Line Bumper 4.88 ECGS Gears ARB Single Air Compressor ARB Rear Air Locker JBA UCA’s 285 BFG KO2’s Weather Tech Floor Mats Martin OffRoad Rack Console Vault KB Voodoo Cab Height Rack 23Zero RTT 23Zero Awning 23Zero Shower Tent Maxtrax Black MaxTrax amounting Pins Krazy Beaver Shovel Fiskers Axe Smittybilt ace and Shovel Mount Quickfists Rotopax 4 Gallon Rotopax Mounting Plate Rotopax Mounting Brackets Decked Storage System Alu Cab XL Tilt Fridge Slide ARB Elements Fridge OEM Skid Plate Local Sliders Uniden 510XL Cali Raised Tailgate Antenna Mount Fire Stick 3 foot Antenna PowerTray Fuse Panel Blue Seas Fuse Box Blue Seas Breaker Cali Raised Ditch Light Mounts Rigid Ditch Lights Alpha Rex Head Lights with LED bulbs Blue Ridge Overland Tacoma Attic Blue Ridge Overland Seat storage bags
    Great write up! I looked at Tuffy but, purchased the Console Vault! Glad I made that choice! It took me 5 minutes to install.

Norton and Scott1972[OP] like this.
  4. Jun 29, 2017 at 10:30 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow! Old thread, but what a piece of crap. I have the locker down. Superb quality. Easy install. 4 digit combo is nice. Most of the time, I just roll 1 wheel a couple digits. Easy to open for everyday use.

tomwil and Scott1972[OP] like this.
  5. Jul 1, 2017 at 6:21 AM
    mrlee

mrlee I like crunchy Tacos!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport (Yeah, it's gotta skewp, Haterz gonna hate)
    Bed rug, ARE bed top, Weathertechs. Little goodies here and there!
    I'll second the console vault, once you have the console lid off, drops in and bolts to factory console holes. Best mod I've done. Keeps my sammiches safe.

6. Aug 14, 2017 at 8:30 AM
    Scott1972

Scott1972 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Clara Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Intermittent Wipers!
    Great to hear. In 400K more miles, when I need my next Tacoma, I'll be sure to spring for that one!

baldridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 13, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    RivetNutBob

RivetNutBob Right Ain't Wrong and Left Ain't Right.

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM ORDC MT SB
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could fit a whole grinder/poboy/hoagie/sub/footlong in
    there?
    Did I forget anyone?
    Don't ask for a grinder in Texas if you're a Northerner.
    I had the Console Vault in my 2011. Well made, very easy installation. Really like it. I personally would rate it as first. Have the Lock'Er Down in my 2017. Again well made but the hex head machine screws protrude upward from the base interior. Not exactly crazy about that. A piece of rubber a little thicker than the hex bolts with cutouts for those bolts to line the interiors bottom will fix that. Something I didn't count on so I'd rate it 2nd to the Console Vault.
    I don't know about the Tuffy because I haven't seen one installed. I did purchase a Tuffy for the left side compartment of my bed. I haven't installed it yet but it appears to be very well made. The one thing that I will do to it is spray the exterior that's inside the cutout with plasti dip before it's installed.
    All three appear to be well made but I would give the Console Vault the higher rating. Don't know if that will help anyone but I give the Console Vault the edge.
    Curious if anyone has purchased a Tuffy for the rear passenger side compartment and if so what they thought of it?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    mrlee[QUOTED] and baldridge like this.
  8. Jul 6, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    Tnronin

Tnronin Two things in this world smell like fish!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Cookeville TN area
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB OFFROAD
    I had a tuffy box gifted to me by a buddy. Never installed. Finally got it installed after dealing with incorrect hole locations. That damn bracket on the driver side! WTF is going on with that?!?

It's in and I like it, but it was like talking the panties off a virgin to get it in place.
    I like it tho otherwise and the price was worth it.

9. Apr 18, 2024 at 12:13 AM
    gsy971

gsy971 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 Xrunner
    So fast forward 6 yrs later and i just installed this tuffy in my '15 taco and the problem i have is similar to yours but i can't seem to close the lid. My issue is similar but a little different. When i force the lid closed i then gotta pry it open and pop the latch and hope my spring doesn't go flying. I found your post as a possible solution to my issue. Hope you still can seen this response to your old thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top