1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Transmission cooling upgrade, thermostat, big rad, or fan?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by erasedhammer, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jul 20, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    erasedhammer

erasedhammer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2013 White Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a 2013 Tacoma with the factory external cooler.

As I understand it, there is a transmission thermostat on my year truck?
    Does the ATF still flow through the engine radiator before going into the aux cooler in this year?

Recently I started off roading more in the mountains, and started doing very steep low speed climbs (probably a thousand feet a mile). After getting to the top of these climbs I noticed my transmission temps were hitting 205F !! Too high for my comfort levels, I would like maximum fluid life.
    I have never seem it hit this high before, Highest I've ever seen is high 180s when going 70 up a couple mountain passes in 4th (locked). I guess the low speed (lack of airflow) really defeats the aux cooler.
    I suppose the best thing would be to jump directly to installing a larger radiator with its own fan, but I want to explore some simpler options first.

If my year of truck does have a thermostat, does anyone make an aftermarket one that fully opens at a lower temperature than stock? I heard the stock one starts opening at 190, and fully above 200?

I also figure I could strap an electric fan to the existing aux cooler to give airflow while climbing steep grades at low speed. This is the easiest solution, but the aux cooler is such a small surface area I am unsure if this would be worth it.

For upgrading the whole cooler entirely, What do people recommend for fully replacing the aux cooler? Do people run electric fans on manual switches, or somehow hook it into a temperature sensor somewhere?

Kolter45 and Geeves77 like this.
  2. Jul 20, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    I do not believe the A750 trans has a cooler line thermostat, I'm pretty sure fluid flows through the cooler(s) at all times.

The engine thermostat opens at around 180-185 (at least my 14 does), I would leave that alone otherwise you may set DTC's.

If you need better cooling at lower speeds I'd go with an auxilary electric fan out front and possibly a larger trans cooler.

There's a writeup about trans coolers here and about the A750 in general here.

Kolter45 and TnShooter like this.
  3. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    I added an aftermarket cooler in-line with the OEM aux cooler.

Kolter45 likes this.
  4. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    On the 2nd gen taco our 5 speed (which is also found on 1st gen tundras and others) def Does not have a thermostat. (1st gen tundras did)

Put a bigger auxiliary cooler on it and put an inline thermostat (derale makes one that opens at 160*f) keep it routed through the rad.

5. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    erasedhammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    What do you think of bypassing the engine radiator loop, and relying on a ~130F thermostat to regular temperatures in the winter? This could give maximum cooling (without the problems of dumping engine heat into the atf) without overcooling the transmission. I'd imagine a transmission that has no external cooler (when thermostat is closed) would still heat up to decent operating temperatures in cold conditions. (My temp in the winter sits right at 134)

I think the existing aux cooler could also be more effective with this design?

6. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    erasedhammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
  7. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:17 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Just make sure your thermostat is not blocking cooler line flow when it's closed.

8. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    erasedhammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Yep, the one I found above is just a U turn when cold and flow through the other side when hot. It says 5 GPM, can't find any numbers on the flow rate of the A750, but I assume thats enough.

9. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I would not bypass the engine coolant heating up the trans fluid when cold. If you “wait” for the trans fluid to heat up on its own, you’re relying on fluid way below the range it was designed for.

I would put in a bigger trans cooler.

For your situation of 1000ft/mile, low speed, you’re likely better served by an electric fan and maybe an upgraded alternator.

Do you have the factory tow package? Those came with a bigger alternator and a trans cooler.

Kolter45 likes this.
  10. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    erasedhammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I do have the tow package.

Isn't transmission fluid way below the range its designed for on a cold start anyways? Both the engine and transmission are close to ambient temperature, so the transmission fluid is going to be cold until the engines thermostat opens and begins heating up the transmission. Plus the transmission does its own heating with the torque converter. The difference being a few minutes maybe?

11. Jul 20, 2021 at 9:40 PM
    Stemmy

Stemmy Certified Wombat Rancher

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica DCLB
    Kolter45 and TnShooter like this.
  12. Jul 20, 2021 at 11:06 PM
    Kolter45

Kolter45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport, 2015 Inferno 4Runner
    Toytec Boss Leer/Rhino Rack TRD Wheels/Falkens
    Honestly that does sound hot but was it that one hill, one time? How many times a year you doing that hike in the truck?

13. Jul 20, 2021 at 11:17 PM
    erasedhammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I should have clarified, this was just one example. I hit these hills at least once a week during the summer. Gotta climb to get the good views. This summer I am doing the climbs practically everyday. I try to take it slow, 1st or 2nd and keep it slow to keep minimum load on the torque converter. So far on a day below 80, I can keep the trans under 180 if I'm under 5mph.

My goal is to be able to push 20-30mph up a 20ish% grade for maybe an hour or two. Just a goal though.

Products Discussed in

To Top