1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Navigation Unit in 2013

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by yogster, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    metal4130

metal4130 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    Yes, I have all the part numbers and will post them as soon as the parts get here and I know they are correct :)

2. Feb 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    metal4130

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    Just called Camelback and the steering wheel controls got pushed back to a Feb 17th delivery date. :(

3. Feb 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I know nothing beats the factory look, but in case you don't have the cash but want the function I'm pretty sure you can just make you're buttons like I did a few years back when I converted my 05 jbl to an 09 with bluetooth. With the help of TIS you can reverse engineer the required resistance for each switch.

Here is a link the the write up I did.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...09-jbl-head-unit-w-bluetooth-2005-tacoma.html

here is the cheat sheet I made.
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if the resister values are the same.

here is a picture of the home made buttons. I think these buttons were free samples from TE.com... I was still in college and every cent counted lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 20, 2014 at 2:58 AM
    yogster

yogster [OP] merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    I have all the wiring diagrams I can forward or post here. But... they are on my home PC, so later tonight.

5. Feb 20, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    Note:

For 2012 and 2013 (and I believe earlier years), the steering wheel and controls on the Tacoma are the same as the 4Runner. Except.... from one parts site $286 for Tacoma controls, $170 for 4Runner. Don't know about the 2014, as those part numbers are not online. This is true of many parts that are the same across model lines - they are in a different pricing structure...

6. Feb 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I don't remember what year the 4runner changed to the newer style steering wheel like the 2012+ tacomas (I know it was before the 2012 Tacoma did) but it was interesting because you can buy just the right hand switches with the connection cable for the 4runner with the older style steering wheel but they only sold both switches as a set for the Tacoma, even though they were essentially the same thing, I know some people just bought the 4runner right hand side and installed it in their Tacoma. I realize no one probably cares but it was just something odd I noticed when I was trying to get switches for my truck.

7. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    I noticed that too, when perusing the various parts sites. With the newer style both left and right are joined by one cable, that the connects to the spiral cable

8. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    robotninjasrule

robotninjasrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    Did you end up getting the right controls? I tried to order them at the local dealer and he could not tell the 3 part numbers apart. If I understood right you are ordering the 2013 jbl controls with the voice button?

9. Feb 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    metal4130

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    I got my steering wheel controls today. I didn't want to post the part number because the price seemed too low to be what I needed. Turns out I was wrong and the 2014 steering wheel controls are $96.61 from Camelback Toyota. I would recommend ordering parts from these guys as they really know what they are talking about. Its gonna be a few more days before I can get them installed but I'll report back with some step by step pictures.

http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota.com/oem-part/oem-toyota/switch-assy-steerin/8425004040b0?search_str=84250-04040-B0

photo-4.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    image-4.jpg

10. Feb 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    robotninjasrule

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    Dam! Exactly what I am looking for. Do you know if they ship to Canada?

11. Feb 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    metal4130

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB PreRunner
    I'm sure they would!

12. Feb 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    robotninjasrule

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    Meh no go on the shipping, going to try the dealership tomrrow. If not i have to pay the insane 52 dollar shipping cost from Oemtoyotascionparts.com price. I love doing the OEM mods!

13. Feb 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    InducedComa

InducedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    OME Nitrocharger shocks, 885x Springs with Toytec 3/4 inch spacer, LR UCA's, DAKAR Leaf Springs, Line-X'd Avid Offroad Step Bars, Pop-N-Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Truxedo TruXport Roll-Up Tonneau
    I just wonder if you will need to change the wiring harness that runs from the steering wheel controls all the way to the stereo. Or are you going to just add a wire to go from the 2 wire spiral to the 3 wire spiral?

14. Feb 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    TacoRaider

TacoRaider Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Hey Yogster

Do you know if the 2013 basic (non jbl) head unit has the voice control functionality built in? In other words, is lacking the voice control button on the steering wheel the only thing preventing this feature from being available to everyone?

thanks in advance

15. Feb 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    tacotacoburrito

tacotacoburrito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sweet! You didn't happen to get the PN for the wiring harness did you?

16. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    He didn't buy a harness. We're hoping the stock one works. Lol

thanks. I'm gunna pull the trigger on those. They look too good. I'm hoping the integrate better with the nav controls.

17. Feb 21, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    There is no harness required. All of the CONNECTORS are there. There is a 4th steering wheel control wire that runs from the S8 connector on the steering column to the R15 connector on the radio. You would need to route that wire.

This 4th wire will carry the "Return/enter" and "left/right" button presses.

None of the other wires/connections are different and all of those button presses should work the same.

Now, what I do not know - I posted this elsewhere- is the spiral cable. The spiral cable carries the signals from the steering wheel controls to the S8 connector. I'm assuming the spiral cable connects ALL pins, not just the ones in use. There are different spiral cable assemblies. There seems to be two options, one for base truck with just horn, and all others. I'm assuming that the spiral cable has all available connections, used or not. (Did I just say that twice? ) If this is not the case, the spiral cable is about $150, and the job becomes more difficult. Metal4130 will have the answer soon, if not I have one coming in in a few days.

At any rate, for those of you with a 2013 WITHOUT the voice control button, this set will add that feature - it uses existing wire pairs. This is a "cheap" way to get that feature. The 2013 controls with that feature are upwards of $280.00

Also, not you do NOT need to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting battery. The RM states wait "90 seconds" before unplugging airbag. Not in this thread, but someone mentioned that elsewhere...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  18. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    tacotacoburrito

Member:
    Yes, but the pictures I've seen of the spiral cable only showed 3 wires. That was my concern. I haven't hopped on TIS to compare the 2013 to 2014 diagrams. Since the OEM parts catalog for the 14's isn't up yet I don't have a way to compare PNs from the 2013 and 14. It's nice to know that crashed 2014 4Runners are also possible parts donors though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  19. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    The ones I've seen show 12 pins on the S8 connector, and 12 pins on the steering wheel-to-controls connector. What is unknown is if the actual ribbon cable in the assembly contains all 12 connections (actually more than 12 including the other connector for the airbag). We'll know soon enough.:)

20. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    tacotacoburrito

Member:
    Yup, pulled the trigger on the switches as well.

To Top