1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 - Not what I expected

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Firenailer, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Mar 9, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    jonsjeep

jonsjeep New Member

Member:
    I have a 2014 AC TRD OR and I have to agree that the one thing that really bothers me (if I had to pick something) is the lack of outside temperature. I have the navigation and entune and it has the weather on the screen (usually for suburb south of Denver oddly enough), but it's not the same as knowing the immediate outside temperature.

Also even though I love my truck, some of the components DO feel a lot cheaper than my old roommate's 2003 TRD OR, like the plastic door handles.

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    jamesinkeys

jamesinkeys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    florida keys
    Vehicle:
    pre runner
    pimped
    You aint a lackin when you a cadillacin.............

3. Mar 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    WhiteNemesis

WhiteNemesis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr PattyCakes
    T-Town, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Cant get enough
    Blow it through the roof
    What are you expecting? Its going to be the same truck, they will release the TRD Pro for the 15 year line up and already published its photos, its the same old truck. Why does everyone think the 15 will be a new tacoma?

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    frankrizzo

frankrizzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD SBDC Off-Road
    Undercover SE Tonneau, Weather Tech, Swing Case tool boxes, Bed mat, Wet Okole
    Yes it could be better but it could be worse! For me auto dimming mirrors just dont do enough for my eyes compaired to the old flip up/down (which for some reason people tend to move the mirror vice just flipping the tab......sorry pet peeve rant.) There are things called garage door openers, if you want to know what the weather is look out of or roll down the window, and if the temp is that important to know....drive by a bank! Yes auto window down and up for both front seats would be nice though. As said before its a truck, of course they are going to try to cut corners to make a profit (it helps with my Toyota stock dividens) but its a truck, have fun with it.

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I've never seen a 15 year old / 200,000+ mile car where all those factory electronic nice-to-haves are still functioning well. I'm glad Toyota hasn't caved to make them all standard - if I really want one of them, I can research one that I like or is common and easy to replace and then install it myself. For the temp reading, there's like 3 million different wireless indoor/outdoor thermometers - just find one that works for you and stick it in there somewhere! Why would you let a $10-$50 electronic toy dictate which $30,000+ truck you buy?

6. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Go test a gm. The Toyota will feel like a millions bucks inside after that!

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    Druzuki

Druzuki Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    I think the point is Toyota shouldn't be backsliding on options in a given package or trim level, and it would be nice if they had some competition to push them to add the last few niceties. I am currently driving a Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 as a rental while my Tacoma is being repaired from a rear end collision and while I don't care for the truck, it has rear disc brakes, heated side mirrors, a cargo light in the box, oil pressure and volt gauges, and at night ALL the interior controls light up! What a concept! Plus it has 30 more HP than Tacoma. Not a big deal really, but it would look good in the brochure.
    I certainly think Toyota should continue to offer choice for sure...if you want a base model for a low price, it should be available. You can add your own wheels and tires, stick a temp gauge to your dash, roll up your own windows, etc. BUT, if you sign the bottom line for a $35,000 vehicle, it should be equipped like one. Put the dual VVT 4.0 from the 4Runner and Tundra in there, add heated side mirrors, a cargo light, FULL interior illumination, FULL gauges, disc brakes all around since we're stuck with ABS traction control.... everything any well equipped mid-size car comes with these days. This is my only vehicle, and for the price I expect it to be my truck, and my well equipped daily driver/road trip machine. I think Toyota is building the best product, so much so that I BOUGHT one. But in the upper trim levels Tacoma is missing a few basics that would be easy for Toyota to add to take it the last yard. If you look at the OEM heated mirror mod you will see that the parts already exist in Toyota's inventory, so there wouldn't even be development cost. Lastly, to the guy that calculated it would cost Toyota $18M in profit to put a $100 feature on 180,000 units, you're assuming they would GIVE the upgrades for free.

My .02...

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    For the most part wel said.

9. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    This +100

I've had an auto-dimming mirror fail on my last car (Audi) at 120,00 miles only it turns out it was a problem with the ecu/canbus wiring for that after spending a couple hundred to replace the mirror unit thinking it was a motor. I opted to not replace the ecu as that was $$$$$.

In two other vehicles that have been loaded with features I've seen them start to fail as soon as 50,000 miles. I bought the Tacoma BECAUSE it was/is simple besides for the touchscreen radio which to me is just enough technology. I have confidence it'll last 10-15 years easily and I'll probably pick up a used radio unit to keep around if mine ever fails.

The '14 SR5 interior doesn't feel cheap at all and I find it very nice. If anyone wants to see a crappy interior just go sit in a Frontier, and then in a new Tacoma.

And the whole no-rear disc thing makes me laugh. Most of the braking power on trucks comes from the front since there is no weight in the back. Drum is perfectly acceptable in the rear for these vehicles.

10. Mar 12, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    A lot of people expect all the gadgets now adays, myself included. I Had a 2012 VW Jetta GLI that was bought at the start of summer 2011, it came with PILES of options. My 2011 Tacoma (with roughly the same build time) has NONE of the options the Jetta had. I agree they should offer a bare bones version, but they should also have a model with all the bells and whistles.

This is a list of things that my VW had my Tacoma didn't.

-Heated Seats
    -White LED gauges (a Huge one for me, made me LED swap my Tacoma's ugly red).
    - Smartkey
    - LCD screen on dash
    - stereo with a screen!
    - Bluetooth
    - Sunroof
    - Heated mirrors
    - 35mpg highway while doing 6 second 0-60's (or faster).
    - Power outlet inside cabin.
    - Power seats
    - Ultra Quiet
    - Lights on all window switches, and all buttons
    - Dual zone climate control
    - a GOOD 6 speed manual
    - Hill start assist

That is it off the top of my head. Obviously the GLI was a 1st year redesign, but so was the interior of the 2012 Tacoma, which address NONE of the above improvements. Even Ram/Ford Platinum were available with the above options at this time. The Tacoma "Limited" came out in 2013 and has only a few of these options... So much for being "Limited".

The GLI cost - $28,000 Canadian
    The Tacoma cost - $36,000 Canadian.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    Druzuki

Druzuki Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    What about when you PUT weight in the back of your TRUCK? Or a trailer behind with some decent tongue weight? Anyway, if this was in response to my post, I wasn't making the argument that discs are more powerful, just more responsive and better at staying self-adjusted given that they are now not only brakes but our limited slip, stability control and trailer sway control. Besides that, for the average DIY discs brakes are much easier to service than drums IMO. I guess I'm up to .04 now! :D

12. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    Unless the braking power is dynamically distributed which in most cases it isn't, the distribution of braking power is linear. you'd have the same limited braking power sent to the rear discs whether or not there is a load there so to prevent the rears from locking up or tripping the ABS all the time you'd have to limit the braking power to what it can handle without a load. I agree that maintenance is harder on drums but it's also needed less in my opinion.

I could see an argument for hauling crap in the bed but any trailer that weighs anything over a couple thousand pounds should have electronic brakes you can hook into a brake controller.

I guess I see your point but don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone seems to make it out to be since it works really well the way it is now.

13. Mar 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    Vantage

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I'm just saying that for what the Tacoma comes with IMO it should be cheaper, you can get a base full size truck with the same options for the same price.

14. Mar 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    Buy one and let me know how much your repairs cost in 200,000 miles and then lets compare to a Taco. :D

15. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    They dropped alot between 12 and 14. My 12 prerunner dcsb sr5 package included alloys, homelink,compass,temp all on the mirror, and the backup cam.
    Now sr5 has painted steel wheels, standard rv mirror and you cannot even get a backup cam w/o paying aftermarket. figured the radio screen would house it

So what's the deal with the backup cam only available on the Limited??? - this is cutting good safety features...is this really a dont-care for most tacoma owners?

16. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    who said that? its available in entune plus and premium as far as i know...

17. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Suffield Miller

Suffield Miller If your not driving a Tacoma...WHY?

Member:
    First Name:
    Miller
    just outside The Notch
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6, 6spd manual, 4WD, DBL Cab spruce mica
    Tow package, alloys...straight up Tacoma
    Not sure about your info source...
    I am waiting on my SR5 D.Cab with stick. I have the basic entune value pkg but did swap up for alloys.

I don't even care about the camera, its all bonus to me after I got my stick, tow, alloys and D.Cab in green...well its on its way anyway.

Its all personal. And that's what and why owning, driving, modding and rolling over our tacomas is so damnable great!

18. Mar 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...

I feel that way about my 87 long bed minus the rust. It was stolen, if it wasn't I'd still have it.

19. Mar 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    my 89 rusted apart. nearly completely. the bed, the doors, the floor boards.. it was all gravy until the fuel tank finally rusted through and i was between jobs. 450k on that truck and never a problem (besides rust)

20. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    Vantage

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I don't keep my vehicles longer than 5 years so that really isn't a problem for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top