1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 summer road trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CharlieNovember, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    CharlieNovember

CharlieNovember [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    christian
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD offroad
    ARB Bumper, German Shepherd.
    Hey everyone!!

OK so I just got back in contact with my best friend from hoghschool /bass player in my old band and on top of that discovered that I have 40 days of leave currently saved up so figured its time to start planning a road trip.

Our rout that we are looking at starts in Dallas and heads to big bend national park to do some hiking and then up to Roswell and check out any cool alien stuff there cause we are into that stuff. Then we are going to head over to Phoenix and then up to flagstaff. We will probably stop in between Phoenix and flag to do some shooting and other fun stuff at my buddies ranch. We will do a lot of hiking and what not in flagstaff. Then we plan to head up and check out Vegas and the grand canyon.

I am trying to make a list of essential things both for the taco and kit that will be needed.

1: water, jerry cans or perhaps a bladder,
    2: food, (money for food but I'll probably bring some MRE's and mountain house meals)
    3: clothing and protective gear. Also hygiene stuff
    4:sleep gear and shelter. ( sleep bag, tent or hammock)
    5:first aid kit
    6: tool/ emergency kit.( still need to figure out what to put in these)
    7: extra fuel (fuel cans)
    8: dog food and dog essentials.
    9: maps nav gear and GPS.
    10: flashlight with extra batteries
    11: storage equipment.
    12: comms

I'm sure there is a lot I'm missing. This is my first real road trip so if anyone has other suggestions I will be greatful to hear them. Also if anyone knows of some cool places to hike, wheel, explore, eat we would definitely check them out! Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Apr 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Definetly go to the Grand Canyon, even if you did nothing else it'd be worth the trip, plenty of hiking there, and if you had the time try and hike and camp down in it, which would make for an awesome and memorable trip (But you need to be properly prepared for it, so do your research if you decide to, people have gotten themselves into some serious trouble by not). Sedona AZ is worth a trip, some good hiking there too. The Hoover Dam since your going to Vegas.

Texas wise, depending on what route you decided. New Braunfels has a water park called Schlitterbahn, which gets water from the Guadalupe River. The water park is cool, and the Guadalupe River is a good place to go tubing, I recommend it..
    Also San Antonio is cool, you could check out The Alamo, then walk down to The River Walk which is neat, especially at night.

And if you have any Aliens abduct you guys while in Roswell, if you make it back, be sure to post it up in my BIGFOOT, Aliens, and The Supernatural thread,:D

Good luck, have fun on your trip. Maybe some other guys or girls will post some good pointers for you, Come on Texas and Arizona people, hook him up so he'll have a good leave.

3. Apr 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    When you leave Big Bend be sure to take the river road north into Presideo. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic roads in the country.
    Stop in at Big Bend Brewing Company in Alpine.
    That is all I have for now.

4. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:34 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    These are a few places that I've been too that should be along your route.

Davis Mountains State Park along with Fort Davis - Great hiking and history

Balmorhea State Park - 1.75 acre spring fed pool that has depths up to 25ft and is crystal clear. The water temp is a constant 72 degrees.

If you're heading West there are a ton of state parks to visit. Just look up state parks and map out your route. Have a great time!

5. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Balmorhea sounds like an awesome place.. Altho I thought of Diarrhea when I saw the name, other than that, sounds sweet lol.. Can you get in the water or is it not allowed?

6. Apr 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    It's a public pool that's open year round. It's a blast.

To Top