1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Trail Break In

Discussion in '4Runners' started by greguw, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:01 AM
    greguw

greguw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    Hey guys , Just went from two toyotas in on a diesel GMC , was th best deal for me and then bought my new trail 4runner ... love the 4runner solid truck with all the same options and more than my offroad taco .
    the only thing I will miss is the oil fllter that was so easy on top . Now its like the tundra canister PIA .
    4Runner comes with 2yrs free service , I'm one that like to dump oil around 1k not sure if it is needed or just change the filter ?
    Any other break in on these trucks ?
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Feb 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    Toyota seems to think that 10K miles is OK between oil changes. I personally don't care for that and do mine every 5K on every car I own. Get yourself the required tools now. Not sure about the 4-Runner but Other Toyota we own required a special filter wrench to remove the canister cover.

I'm not 100% sure the drain at 1000 mils is really necessary anymore but it certainly can't hurt anything and for the cost of a filter and a few quarts of oil why chance it.

Otherwise just drive the truck gently for the first 1000 miles then you can pretty much do whatever you like.

3. Mar 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    greguw

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    My new 4runner comes with the 24 month maintenance free but I may just change out the filter and top off the oil .
    Sucks Mother toyota did not use the same filter design as my 13 taco that was the easest filter I ever had in a truck .

4. Mar 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    greguw

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    I'm trying to make up my mind if I want to let the dealer do the 24 month free service . Years back I worked at dealerships and most suck no matter how nice they are .
    Filters are cheap and just buy a case of 0w-20 Syn and do my self I'm thinking .

Products Discussed in

To Top