1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 TRD Pro or 2016?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by airsoft_warrior, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    imag

imag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Actually, that is exactly how it usually works with used car values. Unless a company really screws up with a new model, it contains significant upgrades over the old one, and people's desire for the old one drops.

In this case, the looks are not an improvement. However, the likely mpg bump, improved sound deadening and revised interior of the newer truck will absolutely drop the value of the older one.

Go look at practically any line of non-collector vehicles (911s don't count). Unless there was a major quality problem in the generation change, you will find that the last year of an older generation is worth significantly less than the first year of the newer generation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Not significant drop, sorry dude, your wrong. A) its a toyota B) its a tacoma, and every generation is desirable. If your talking about the 1st year then ya, no one is going to buy a 2015 for 2k less than they can get a 2016, the same goes for now, most guys buy a new tacoma because the used are only a few thousand less than new. But in 2019 a 2016 used will not be thousands more than a 2015.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    Mclovin80

Mclovin80 Not Well-Known

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR TRD Pro
    Just went through the same dilemma and realized the TRD Pro is not worth waiting 4-5 months for a special order. I just bought a 2015 TRD O/R yesterday. You can turn it into a TRD Pro and still pay less unless you are die hard set on the Inferno color.

4. Feb 23, 2015 at 5:51 AM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior [OP] Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    I just bought a house in August. Part of the reason I got rid of the 2008 Taco. I was cutting everything to make sure that I could afford the house. Then I realized... I didnt need the better gas mileage the focus gets me, though it is nice to be able to go 400 miles on 10 gallons. But I dont need a truck. Whitetail makes the back of the focus a bit messy in the fall though that is the biggest area that the truck comes in handy.

5. Feb 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Honestly, there are waaaay too many unknowns at this point to make a sensible decision. Mostly all of the people giving advice here haven't even seen a '16 in person, much less drive one. If I were you, I would wait until the new ones hits the dealers. Supposed improvements in power, efficiency, etc. are things that would be big purchase decision factors for me.

6. Feb 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    The problem here is you're wrong when it comes to the vehicles in question, and you seem to prefer talking in absolutes.

Agree to disagree.

7. Feb 23, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    I would say a 2015 TRD Pro with a 2016 interior would be the best combination

TH3R3CL41M3R likes this.
  8. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    Ping

Ping The root of all suffering is expectation.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco TRD Pro
    TRD Supercharger
    Aside from some above angst about the TRD Pro being "overpriced" I think it is a really solid truck. I love mine. Personally I would only consider buying a cheaper one and putting in an Icon (or other) aftermarket suspension if you plan on serious off-roading/rock climbing on a regular basis. Large wants a list of reasons to buy the "overpriced" POS that he and many others feel the need to trash repeatedly in the forums.

OK well here's my PERSONAL list as to why I bought the TRD Pro instead of waiting for the 3rd gen Taco:

1. It's already done for you. No fuss, no muss, no wait

2. You don't need to dink around with the standard run of after-market lift "issues" like installation quirks or alignment issues

3. The TRD Pro suspension is specifically tuned for the truck and (from what other owners of both trucks have posted) is a significant night and day improvement over the standard Baja and O/R suspensions.

4. Everything is factory installed/warrantied! I can't even begin to tell you my worries after suspension modding my brand new 2011 Jeep Wrangler voiding the factory warranty in the first month.

5. The cost of the wheel/tire/suspension upgrade is financed right into your vehicle!

6. The wheel/tire/suspension upgrade actually ADDS to the value of your vehicle directly at 100% cost instead of only at about 15% of cost when it comes to aftermarket. This SIGNIFICANTLY boosts resale value compared to adding aftermarket

7. You don't need 18" of flex for weekend off-roading. I only "seriously" off-roaded my jeep about a dozen times and would have taken my stock TRD Pro to the same places and done just fine with it.

8. The 2016 is not expected to have a TRD Pro model. It IS expected to have an electronically tunable suspension that adjusts to varied on/off road conditions (see #9)

9. History shows it would not be a good idea to purchase "first-year" technology. I would expect some "issues" with a first run anything.

10. Did I mention warranty? This is also why I added a supercharger by the dealership to my Pro.

Haters are gonna hate. These forums are full of people with some manufactured chip on their shoulder about the value of a TRD Pro and they assume a stereotypical view of the kind of person who would buy one. Yes many dealerships try to price gouge on these trucks. I got mine under MSRP with full black book value for my trade in, so I'm fine with it.

As far as performance concerns, we had a bugger of a snow storm two weekends ago here in Ohio. I was out playing in it and came across a traffic jam. The slowdown was caused by some jacktard in his jacked up Taco BAJA on 37's who couldn't drive for crap trying to keep up with his buddy in his mildly lifted Taco O/R who was having trouble bouncing around on the rutty unplowed highway with 10" of snow on it. 6 trucks back I stomped on it and blew by em all in a "drifting" power-slide waving with a big smile on my face as my "over-rated" suspension took the bumps with ease and my "overpriced" truck left em all in the distance with me and my son howling in laughter having a grand ole time making one of the worst storms of the winter our bitch.

I did have reservations because of the horsepower and fuel economy improvements that are coming with the 2016. I will say this... a supercharged vehicle with 311 horsepower is going to perform completely differently than a stock vehicle with 311 horsepower. That is why I finally pulled the trigger, and I don't regret it. Yes I get 14MPG with 91 octane... But again... everything is warrantied. Seriously, how often do you get a vehicle where it is specifically modified and tuned by the manufacturer to be abused off-road? Besides, if I go test drive a 2016 and I am really THAT impressed by it, I will have one of those highly sought after "obnoxious" "overpriced" "special" "pretentious" "poser" TRD Pros to trade in on the 2016. Something tells me that I will be happy either way.

Hope this helps your decision along airsoft_warrior :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. Feb 28, 2015 at 4:36 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.

THIS ^^^^^^^.....:rimshot:

10. Feb 28, 2015 at 5:02 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A couple incorrect statements here. Though I agree with a lot.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  11. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    jyuzamas

jyuzamas Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White TRD Pro
    TRD Super Charger, TRD Exhaust, 1" Tapered Rear Lift Blocks, Pace Edwards Cover, Pop N Lock Locking Handle
    First every nice vehicle is over priced. I am so tired of every cheap bastard on here talking about price. Price has nothing to do with it, it is about desire.

Buy The 2015 TRD Pro, the 2016 Tacoma's are ugly inside and out.

The money is not that much different if you buy a good ICON, King or FOX setup, wheels, tires and all the time in your garage to install it all and set it up.

Plus you cant get a Sport with all the TRD off road stuff, so you have to get a PRO.

Buy the Super Charger, the Tacoma's don't get great gas mileage anyways and at least you will have good power and about the same in gas mileage.

It is nice to buy a truck and go drive it with out having to go home and overhaul a brand new vehicle.

12. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You sir make too much sense. Price is whatever someone is willing to pay and you only live once.

13. Apr 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior [OP] Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Couple of questions in regards to my previous inquiries. Does the TRD Pro come in Access Cab version? I am being told by a dealership that it does not. And do the Tacomas have a Sun/Moon Roof option before the Gen III?

14. Apr 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    acmccart8

acmccart8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Limited Magnetic Grey DCSB
    Yes they come in Access Cab... (Click on select trim under access cab)

http://southeast.buyatoyota.com/tac...id=Tcom_Configurator:BAT_Home#~p96KjcjgCJtSrG

And no they do not have the option for sun/moon roof from factory (Couldn't find a link for proof)

15. Apr 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    TotalAutoParts

TotalAutoParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A bunch of Toyota's!

TRD OR 4x4 with a Supercharger & Pro Suspension sounds like a really sick ride!

16. Apr 7, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    jyuzamas

jyuzamas Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White TRD Pro
    TRD Super Charger, TRD Exhaust, 1" Tapered Rear Lift Blocks, Pace Edwards Cover, Pop N Lock Locking Handle
    Yes they come in Access cab, went and looked at one before mine came in.

17. Apr 7, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I bought a 2015 O/R late last year when the 2015s hit the market. It was a decision based upon the sale of my 04 4 Runner. If I had the flexibility , I would wait for the 2016 at this time. There will still be plenty of 2015 s around and you will have the advantage of comparing. No matter what every one else says, history shows that each completly new PU named Toypta is quite a bit better then the previous in a lot of ways. We KNOW LITTLE about how it comparably preformes. It's "better" says little. You may not like the way it looks but you may kick yourself if you could have waited and didn't.

18. Apr 7, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    Breaky0self

Breaky0self Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jupiter fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 Trd Sport metallic grey 2wd
    I'm in the same boat, I want to trade in my 2011 trd sport for either a 15 or the new 2016. Gonna test drive the 16 and see what I think, I'm a little nervous in buying the first year of production though. May have to wait at least a year for the 2017's.

19. Apr 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Go with the 2015TRD Pro.2016 to me i don't care for the exterior or interior!Maybe someday!Good luck!:)

20. Apr 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I waited a year to buy an 04 4Runner when they came out in 2003. Generally, it's a good idea. Toyotas DONOT have the teething pr less as many other makes as Any new model seldom has a motor/ trans that has not been included for years in other models of not here then elsewhere. Still, it doesn't hurt to wait.

Products Discussed in

To Top