1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma - OVTUNE - VFTUNER - Update Info and Original Development

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 11, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    Saeros

Saeros #dealermole

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada, Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2022 Venza Limited
    Squeeeeeeeeee :bikewheelie:

2. Jan 11, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    jholc21

jholc21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 w/Dakars Leafs 255/80/R17 Cooper ST MAXX Skinnies 4.88 Gears TRD Pro Fog Lights Cali Raised 5D Combo Leather Seats LED Bed Lighting ARE Overland Shell
    Did you notice a similar bog with the prior tunes as noted above that is gone with the new test tune?

catware likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    Tdesai

Tdesai Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tarun
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    so i am seriously consider doing the tune and would like to see if anyone has answers to this questions first. would really appreciate the insite if someone has a similar setup

Hey i had a few questions about the tuning Kit

1. i have put a 3inch lift with 285/70/17 on my truck if i tune it will it give me any better MPG or will it get worse and also is there away to calibrate a bigger tire size to read the right speed and if not will the incorrect speed effect the tune on the ECU ?

2. Will this void the warranty ? or will the Dealership even know that it has been tuned ?

3. are they any down sides to doing this tune that i should know about this product?

4. Jan 11, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    FLJoe

FLJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Wellington, FL
    Vehicle:
    16 Blazing Blue Taco Limited AT
    OV Tuned
    If you guys have TechStream you can test individual systems, you can try switching to Port or Direct Inject and try punching it. Not sure if under full acceleration if it will cancel the test. But you can definitely notice the difference in response in the two modes.

5. Jan 11, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Sean73T

Sean73T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 Pro
    Can you actually go sideways with TC off, and new tune, or does it still kick on?

6. Jan 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    iexc

iexc WerXED BH2.0 AD

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalede
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport MT
    If traction control is interfering with throttle,maybe we should alter or kill it?

7. Jan 11, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    1. no, and as far as i know, no. or maybe, not yet re: the calibration.

2. no, because, no. the dealer has no way to identify it. this has been covered many times in the various threads.

3. well, probably not but it may depend on your ECU's base code version. the older versions have been occasionally or significantly problematic depending on the version. that can only be verifiably known by using OV's software ECU tool. seems most of the later trucks respond great with no down sides.

edit: i see you're in a 2016. that may be a consideration for you and you'll need to research more IMOI. I'm also really only following the MT development so the AT thread is a different world and I'm not sure what's going on over there.

8. Jan 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    Tdesai

Tdesai Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tarun
    Atlanta GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4

Thank you for that

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    It you don't turn it off it can interfere with full power being developed. When I do the 0-60 runs I turn it off, or any other time I don't want it interfering. I believe @bshammer0 also know how to turn it off. Like I said this happens with it on or off. I think the engine maybe change modes and that causes it. Mat will figure it out.

bshammer0 likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    I felt heavy bogging on stock for sure - it was driving me nuts. That “characteristic” has been reduced greatly on all versions of the tunes thus far aside from any shift learning that may occur. With this test tune it feels way different so far though. I’m enjoying it

speedtre, tweet562, MOC221_ and 2 others like this.
  11. Jan 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    acemastr

acemastr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited 2WD AT
    OVTune
    That full throttle bog doesn't happen to me. I tried it the other day for the first time (still can't see why anyone would floor it from a dead stop) and it just accelerated.

Chipi3s likes this.
  12. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Flooring from a dead stop would easily happen if you're at an intersection, looking to turn left against oncoming traffic and get a small window of opportunity to make it through that traffic. Those are the instances where I've experienced it bog. And it's scary as shit when you're expecting to make it across the intersection with time to spare only to have it bog on you mid way.

CanadaToy, catware and BigD1 like this.
  13. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    I think they mean more of a delay, like the truck can't figure out what it wants to do.

Sean73T and metal-rex like this.
  14. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    acemastr

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OVTune
    Squeeze the gas to the floor, don't stamp on it and see if that makes any difference. @OVTune could it be that the truck is still in 2nd and realizes you need 1st and changes?

15. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Yeah someone hit it right on the nail when they compared it to a carb with a faulty accelerator pump. Or a small engine with too big a carb. It feels like the engine momentarily gets overwhelmed by how much fuel it receives or how much air it gets, one or the other and then chugs through it in order to eventually take off. I tend to think Toyotas typically run rich from the factory so it's probably on the side of too much fuel on the initial throttle opening, and possibly not quick enough ramping up of ignition timing to deal with the large input and throttle opening. Whatever it is, I'm sure from a tuning perspective that @OVTune will have it under control for 1.03b/1.03 full release. It's definitely there for most of us though. I know for me it basically makes it so it's impossible to launch the truck. Even if I rev it to 3500 or so for the launch as soon as the clutch starts to grab it wants to fall on it's face whether I release the clutch slowly, moderately, or quickly. As others have stated it's potentially dangerous to have a situation where the truck doesn't know how to do what you ask it to do or doesn't do it quickly enough. Life just is that way sometimes and there will be moments where you need the truck to be able to floor it into interstate traffic or shoot a gap in traffic to make a turn

16. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    funny, thats what I had to do with my ruckus before I got the carb tuned right too.... Coincidence? I think not!

17. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    I get this occasionally on my Macan when at a stop. It's a twin turbo so that complicates things too. If I give it aggressive pedal, I'll sometimes see it and yes, it can be a bit spooky. If I simply floor it, it never disappoints or misinterprets what I want.

The more computerized these cars/trucks get, the more opportunity there is for misinterpretation of intent. Honestly, the best performing vehicles are those with consistent linear response. Let the driver learn the car, not the other way around. That way, when the driver does something unexpected, the car still responds as the driver expects it to.

Chipi3s likes this.
  18. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Exactly! That is the goal here is just to get to the point where the truck is predictable across all throttle inputs. We just need to get to the point where across all throttle inputs things are smooth. It would be nice if instead of having a hard cutoff between DI/PI we could just have a gradient scale from low input to high input. So all injectors work all the time but just run low pressure at low opening and higher pressure at higher opening. I feel like its trying to engineer the cutoff where one cuts out at just the right moment for the other to cut in that is a pretty tough ask, even for a computer that can make multiple adjustments to both injection system per second.

19. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    BigD1

BigD1 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Tacoma DC LB OR
    Pretune, that was a pretty regular occurrence, haven't really had it happen happen after flashing, maybe a little hesitation here or there, but nothing like it was. Not fun when you pull out in traffic and need to go. My truck is completely stock, the only additional weight at the moment would be sliders and a tonneau cover. Still seeing how it runs since I've only put a not quite 500 miles with the tune yet. Truck definitely drive much better, and typically I turn the traction control junk off.

20. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    acemastr

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OVTune
    For optimal 0-60 you'd need to brake torque launch it anyway

Thread Status: