1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 TRD Sport vs OffRoad

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 3rdgenfan, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mar 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Forgot to mention though, if you really wanted a Sport and a locker you could always add one later (like an ARB). But you get that already and all the extra stuff on the Offroad.

Is your 04 a TRD? If it's not then no. If you have a locker you'll see an orange "RR Diff Lock" button on your dash to the left of the steering wheel. You have to engage it separately from 4lo.

2. Mar 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    crvz

crvz Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think many folks hate them, or really have an opinion. I bought my last car new with a 6 speed manual (135i) and it's easily the most fun car I've owned. But for the masses, the convenience of an auto is hard to pass up, they're becoming more fuel efficient so manufacturers are becoming less motivated to offer them, and in performance cars an auto (or at least a dual clutch) is orders of magnitude faster to shift. So the case for the manual is to either cater to enthusiasts or for a specific work truck type application.

3. Mar 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM
    TrapperMcNutt

TrapperMcNutt Active Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7L 4x4 5speed
    You know what everybody I rescind some of my previous statements. I just test drove another TRD off-road A/T and it felt fine. I'm not sure what changed. Maybe the first one I drove was just a dud or still 'learning' or whatever, or maybe it was b/c i drove an A/T car to the dealership this time instead of my M/T 2004 tacoma. ... Or maybe I just got on the gas a lot harder this time.

But anyway, the A/T shifted fine, wasn't searching or lagging to my notice, truck felt plenty fast. All things considered I'm going to go for the Off-Road A/T instead of the Sport M/T. I just like the more rugged look of the Off-Road and it's nice to know the added functionality is there. I'll miss the M/T but it's a mild relief knowing I won't have to sit in traffic anymore going in and out of gear all the time.

4. Mar 15, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    FOR THE WIN!!!
    Congrats!!

5. Mar 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM
    robertbank

robertbank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ordered TRD Sports DCLB Upgrade Pkg
    Because automatics got so good. When I was a kid I loved my VW with the stick. I bought a manual GMC 1/2 ton in 1974 new for $4,900Cdn and loved the truck - just a basic 3 Speed manual with a straight six. Since then it has been automatics and now I would never go back to a manual for what I want the truck for. My 16 TRD Sport DCLB has more than ample power and for it's price it is never going to do serious off road work. I would buy an old jeep for that! For getting to my fishing holes and winter driving up here the truck is just the best alternative for what I do and that includes the automatic tranny.

Take Care

Bob

6. Mar 16, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    BlueLights

BlueLights Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Work in progress...
    4x4 sport with front and rear air lockers..
    If I was gonna let my mom take my truck 4 wheeling I would have gotten crawl control for her though.. :rofl:
    Just kidding.. Both trucks are awesome. Can't go wrong either way.

7. Apr 12, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    pininfarina575

pininfarina575 Active Member

Member:
    What creature comfort does the Sport have that OR doesn't? I'm just curious.. I'm getting an OR thinking it's pretty much the same as far as creature comfort features are concerned..

8. Apr 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off Road 4x4 Super White
    Stock and loving it
    nothing. he means the comfort of looking cooler at the mall. They both have the better base radio of the TRD models. The creature comforts come with the PT and PTJBL packages and those packages have the same cost for both TRD models. around 2800 and 2300 extra

Products Discussed in

To Top