1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Tacoma needs new engine block!?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Elvis765, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Apr 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Got bored reading all the banter back and forth after a while. lol

As a former dealership tech, and shop foreman, I will say that what USUALLY happens in cases like this is that Toyota will send out what is called an assembly line engine. This is basically the exact same thing that goes directly into a vehicle on the assembly line. It comes complete usually with block, head(s) intake, and in many cases alternator, AC compressor, etc. The dealership simply has to drop out the old assembly, and drop in the new assembly.

As for quality, reliability, value, etc.... It's the same thing that you would get on the assembly line. So quality and reliability will be the same. Value. Maybe it is just me, but as far as I am concerned, when you are looking at something that is 2 weeks old, and a new engine being swapped in due to a manufacturing defect on the old part, I see no loss in value. Now if the truck were in an accident and body work was done and paint was done, etc, then yeah, I could say diminished value. But just swapping the engine out that early? Nah, just as valued.

Look, we are talking MASS PRODUCTION HERE. Stuff happens. Do you know for a FACT that the Taco you bought didn't have a problem after it was off the assembly line and they didn't swap out the engine before it hit the dealer? Because let me tell you, that DOES happen! Engines, transmissions, rear differentials.... yeah, those things get swapped out. There is no legitimate value difference in swapping out an engine or transmission at 2 weeks old, as there is in swapping out a bad alternator or ECU at 2 weeks, other than PERSONAL perception. Mechanically and electronically there is no diminishing of value. Better that this happened now at 2 weeks, than something that was destined to fail at 36,001 miles when the warranty is expired and then the entire bill is on the owner. Look at it this way, the one MAJOR problem that could go wrong already has. Now odds are you will get 500k miles on it with no other issues.

Today's mentality is freaking crazy with disposable this and disposable that. People don't think we should fix things anymore, just replace the whole thing. I remember when a lamp cord went out we replaced the cord. There, lamp good as new. Now if a cord goes bad, people say the lamp isn't worth a damn anymore so throw it out and get a new one. Same with cars and trucks. Problem with an engine at 2 weeks? well fuck it, get me a whole new truck, I don't want one with a new engine that is obviously better than the broken one that came out.

Wow.... Ended up getting on that soapbox I wanted to stay off of. lmao.:crapstorm:

sucra, over60 and nDub like this.
  2. Apr 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    Careful not to wear that thing out! I am now at 2600 and that was about as many miles as I put in my GTI all last year. Now the GTI has to find a new home. :(

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top