1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 Xenon Depot HID issues

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cstern1, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sep 6, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    Any updates? Had a similar problem with their HID kit, only installed one side to try it , it fried my DRL on that side. new headlight cost is about $750.00 for one side. Got a run around from ZD, wanted to return the kit but when I received their e mail with the return Number with conditions, return must be in original packaging in resale condition I would have got back 30 cents on the dollar for what I paid as I was told to open and try to install the relays which weren't needed or changed the outcome so I threw the box in corner, may try to use it on something else in the future.

2. Sep 6, 2018 at 8:34 AM
    cstern1

cstern1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    Nope. I got an email back from them to test a few things. I replied and haven't gotten one back. Did you use the relays and ground to the headlight grounds in the truck? The one behind washer fluid reservoir and the one down below next to battery? Only thing that should cause a link to the DRLs from what i can tell. I confirmed this is the DRL ground through a continuity test.

I have seen a thread where another member grounded there as well with no issues.

3. Sep 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    I first installed it without the relay, that's when the DRL fried so I tried to install with the relay and yes grounded to factory location. I was told by them that the HID kit had no bearing in the DRL light, but it worked fine before I hooked up the HID on that side. The original issue I had was if I turned on the headlights on by the switch and shut them off the hid bulb would not relight again unless I waited for several minutes

4. Sep 6, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    Sounds similar to mine except I started with the relay harness installed. Wonder if something changed with their ballasts over the years. Some sort of voltage backfeed? Mine wouldn't fire with the truck started until I turned them on and off several times and still usually only one would fire. I'm assuming this was the HIDs killing my DRL strips. I can't really figure this out. I'm still getting 12v on the DRL harness so no idea how it could have fried the DRL strip.

5. Sep 6, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    I do not have Xenon Depot HID’s but I have had this issue before. I found that whenever this happens I unplug everything and plug it back in and it’ll resolve my issue. My ballast every now then need to unplugged and what not or they burn out and the faulty part is the ballast. I have Kensington HID’s so I’m not sure if it’s different than yours. Mine are plug and play. I have several connectors from previous kits that I’ll swap out as the wiring sometimes seems to be faulty too. Not sure if I’m helping much but that’s fixed my issue before!

6. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    What i would like to be able to determine is if its just their HID kit or some fluke in the wiring in the truck. I don't get how others have successfully used them. I went with recommendations from the forum.

7. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    This makes me want to stay away from XenonDepot. I’m happy with my $60 kit that’s lasted me 1.5 year so far:rofl:

8. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    I wonder if the hyluxtek kit and diode dynamics harness from another thread are the way to go.

9. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    hyper15125

hyper15125 Headlight Retrofitting Hobbyist Vendor

Member:
    NJ (609)
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 Taco,‘22 Hybridlander
    Hylux ballasts are good quality if they are genuine

10. Sep 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    I'm just not understanding how this happens in general. There must be a pathway I don't understand in the wiring. Odd that its only happened to 2 of us that i can find so far. Just not making sense right now.

11. Sep 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    I wish I had an answer also. I don't believe there's an issue with truck wiring as yours is a 17 and mine is an 18. What makes more sense
    is defective hid kits. But how do resolve the issue when you cannot get an answer from ZD, who won't take back the kit if you already installed it, per their return policy without loosing money for a restocking fee and refusing credit because the package was opened, not to mention you have to pay the return freight to Canada. That's why I threw the kit in the corner I don't want to take a chance of burning out another DRL which requires replacing the entire headlight assembly @ $750.00 each.

12. Sep 6, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    Well you could always find some from used car parts from wrecks. Have seen some around $300 out there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do here. Maybe the faux pro headlights. Keep the originals for a retrofit project? Who knows.

It almost has to be a faulty ballast issue. XD is suggesting I put my halogens back in and see if it fixes the issue. It can't. I've stated multiple times that I have 12v at the DRL harness. Power is going to them and they don't light up. Not much else to be said.

13. Sep 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    I did reinstall the halogen bulb, after that the headlights worked as they should but the DRL was still fried. Bought and installed a new OEM headlight assembly and magic the new DRL now works with the original halogen Bulbs. I could have bought 5 HID Kits from someone else for what the new headlight assembly cost. I still may buy one from a company that stands behind their product should it need to be returned. without having to jump thru hoops due to the disclaimers in there return policy. I guess the buyer should beware and check the companies return policy before you buy something from them!!

14. Sep 6, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    hyper15125

hyper15125 Headlight Retrofitting Hobbyist Vendor

Member:
    NJ (609)
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 Taco,‘22 Hybridlander
    Thats crazy, never heard of this happening. That bogus harness isnt needed, the power from each bulb socket will power a 50w ballast without issue. Just need a good set of HID bulbs with the H11 connector and grommet and good ballasts. Just need to drill a 1” hole in the dust cap for the wiring and grommet.

15. Sep 7, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    XenonDepot

XenonDepot Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    @cstern1 - Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning :) Happy we were able to get this resolved for you.

Have a great weekend!

Steve

16. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    So how was this resolved. what was the issue that caused your problem to begin with and the outcome. Do your drl lights work now with the hid kit installed .

17. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    fxrs

fxrs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Western Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport dcsb
    My order # was 64208. Ordered on 7/28/18

18. Sep 7, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    cstern1

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    KCK
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Sport
    Steve @XenonDepot actually called me this morning personally. I was a little concerned I was not going to get any further support until this.

They actually put in some detective work to help me out and the issue turned out to be minor and they are helping me out to get it taken care of.

I would suggest if anybody has any concerns or issues to contact their customer service or Steve directly. At this point, I feel better about the transaction. I really hadn't seen any negative feedback about their products so I don't think there are any widespread issues at all.

I'll update if anything further does not go as planned, but I think it will all work out.

XenonDepot likes this.
  19. Sep 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    riz_atx

riz_atx #bigpermtaco #teamBP

Member:
    First Name:
    Sohail
    Spicewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 4x4 DCLB GFC Locked, Geared, Tuned
    C4Fab/RCI/BAMF, ADS, 4.88, Lockers, OVTune
    I had a really great experience with @XenonDepot's support. Great company and great customer service in my opinion

XenonDepot and sierra141 like this.
  20. Sep 13, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    Taconada

Taconada Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport manual
    Blacked out letters, HID kit with Philips 4300k LED interior lights OEM roof rack
    @cstern1 and @fxrs

I finally found someone with the same issue I'm having on my 2018 TRD Sport. What bulb type did you guys buy, the Philips 4300K ?.

Ordered the Philips ones and I already replaced the passenger headlight twice due to a fried LED, the first time I used the harness then second time without harness. So, after contacting XenonDepot I received a new pair of non-Philips bulbs as it seems the problem was with the base on the Philips bulbs. I tried the new bulbs on the old headlight (fried led strip) and both headlights turn on now but I don't wanna take the risk of frying the passenger LED strip light for the third time and I'm wondering if any of you two resolved the problem by installing the non-Philips bulbs from XenonDepot.

Currently I have the OEM halogen bulbs and both LED strips are working fine.

Thanks guys !

Products Discussed in

To Top