1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Model Guide

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tincan, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Oct 21, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    LS14ME2

LS14ME2 Kind of a big deal

Member:
    In hiding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM Sport DCSB 4x4
    Center console divider thingy, rubber bed mat and side steps for the wife.
    Dammit...the one thing I wanted but was not available on my sport would have been the ebony leather.

2. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    LWLLWWW

LWLLWWW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Tech Package gets color matched bumper. True story.

3. Oct 21, 2017 at 11:00 PM
    BadFlounder

BadFlounder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD Pro
    Yes. From what I can tell, the Radar cruise is just Toyota's name for "dynamic cruise control" system. I agree, it is an excellent feature. Makes driving in stop-and-go traffic nice an easy. I don't get people that hate these features. The more safety features, the better. If you don't like them, then simply disable them, or don't use them.

Yeah, the Tundra does not have active steering assist, and I don't believe the Tacoma will either. It's just lane sensing alert so it will alert you if you wander over the line, but won't steer for you, etc. Our Grand Cherokee has the assisted steering like your RAV4, which is great. Alerts you, then steers you back towards the middle of the lane. It also enables the Jeep to do automatic parallel/perdindular parking, which is very nice. Would love to see something like that on the Limited Tacoma, since it is their "luxury" model. Would be a nice feature to set them apart. It's great we at least get the alerting on all models.

Jessrin[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road SB
    A few listed in the signature
    Wow I did some reading on the 2018 Tacoma. I will say I am 100% happy that I got my 2017 now.

The reasons why would be:
    - I have a tint strip running across the top of my windshield and have had this on every single car I have ever owned. There is now a camera in that section and the manual indicates it will interfere with it if I tint it.
    - The Pre Collision system is automatically reenabled every time the truck is started. You have to manually go through the menus to get to it.
    - I was hoping that there would be LED tail lights but that was omitted
    - There is a warning about modifying your lights, ride height etc. So lifting and putting in HIDs may mess with the system
    - The warning that modifying your grill may mess with the radar system

My wife's CRV has the PCS and it absolutely drives me insane. Take a turn too fast and BRAKE pops up in big letters. Damn thing gets angry at me at least once or twice every time I drive it.

The only nice feature would be dynamic cruise control for those long hauls. I never use CC now; however the dynamic systems are actually quite nice.

Burns likes this.
  5. Oct 22, 2017 at 1:59 AM
    Costaco

Costaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    I think TSS is a welcome addition for me. And tinting the windows isn't a priority for me. I'm definitely glad I waited for the 18. Looking to pick a cement TRD OR. The color alone is worth it for me. But I have a feeling that A LOT of people are going to have them. Oh well, it's a beautiful color!

sierra141 and HeyNow like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2017 at 2:00 AM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB 6MT 4x4...'97 Taco XtraCab 5MT 4x4
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    @Ice8 I was wondering if this TSS would effect lifting a truck.

I haven't lifted my last 3 trucks, but had plans to lift this next truck enough to run 33" tires. It is going to be my play truck for the next 20 years.

Would completely screw my plans if TSS gets in the way of that.

7. Oct 22, 2017 at 2:31 AM
    BadFlounder

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD Pro
    For me, I couldn’t care less about “modifying” my grill. I’d consider replacing with a TRD Pro grill, but that will obviously use the same camera. We will have to see if there are any compatibility issues between Pro and non-pro grilles. But I’m personally not interested in any non-factory mods; at least not to major parts like that. I know many folks do extensive mods, and I have in the past too, just not interested in that with this truck, so that works okay for me. I also could not care less about lifting the truck, or tinting the windshield. It’s good that there are plenty of 2017’s for those that disagree. Different strokes for different folks!

My Grand CHerokee has PCS and honestly it is never an issue. Can’t say if it’s better design than Honda, etc, but it works fine. The only time it’s alerted were in dangerous driving scenarios. Hopefully Toyota’s is up to snuff.

Yeah, the dynamic cruise is something I never had until the GC. I use it almost every time I drive it now. It’s fantastic, and a welcome addition to the 2018 Tacoma IMO.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    sierra141 and siKjiTz like this.
  8. Oct 22, 2017 at 2:43 AM
    BadFlounder

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD Pro
    I have to think Toyota has considered this aspect; knowing that many people like to mod their Tacoma trucks. I would be surprised if TSS-P got in the way of those plans. I mean, the features may not work properly obviously, but that can’t be expected when modifying a truck’s geometry. I’m wondering too if they may allow buyers to disable PCS or other features via a service appointment (if you didn’t want it to be on ever). Don’t they do this now for seat belt alerts, etc?

9. Oct 22, 2017 at 3:25 AM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB 6MT 4x4...'97 Taco XtraCab 5MT 4x4
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    Man I hope so.

I would think that if lifting it dorks it up, then adding a camper in the bed, towing a trailer with tongue weight or heavy enough cargo in the rear that it aims the front end up, would effect it as well.

AeroCooper and Clay7160 like this.
  10. Oct 22, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    You can tint your front windshield, just leave a section untinted for the camera.
    There has been a lot of people who have caused problems with changing out their lights. I wouldn't be surprised if the warning for putting in HIDs is on the 2017 also.
    Initially the grills will be a issue, but aftermarket companies will alter the designs so that the sensor will fit onto their grills. They will lose sales if they don't.

AeroCooper likes this.
  11. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    If you keep your truck stock, or trade it in every few years, TSS would be an asset.

I you will be modding, or plan on driving your truck until it falls apart, TSS might be a hindrance.

We will be shopping for a new family sedan in 5 years, and will most likely be happy to have all the new safety features.

My truck is already more complex than I would like. I plan on keeping it "forever" (my last truck), so glad I made the purchase in 2016, opposed to the 2018, just my $.02.

12. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    Kenetic02

Kenetic02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Things to ponder. I was wondering by turning off TSS or doing any types of mods that hinder the system from doing its job. If you are in an accident; maybe a question could arise during the investigation that if you didn't turn off Pre-Collision it would have avoided the accident altogether or at least the damage would have been as bad? I wonder how this impacts insurance claims?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Oct 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Sooooo... have we confirmed the status of the SR Utility Package or has it been axed from the lineup?

One of the key deletes on the SRUP was cruise...

So that's gotta mean either the new SRUPs will have TSS (and cruise will not be removed), or the SRUP is kill.:eek:

14. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    "As far as the major change, by adding TSS-P you will have to be careful if you lift the truck, if you put bigger tires or if you are loading/towing anything really heavy."

This is coming from @MikeLinterman off the 3rd Gen Canadian thread. That's the only reason why I am a little nervous about the 2018 with TSS-P. If it automatically reenables every time you restart the truck it will be a royal pain in the ass. Also looking at the user manual it gets upset when you do turn it off. It'll show a warning and a light on your cluster as per the user manual. Other manufacturers such as BMW allow you to set it and forget it in terms of settings including the safety features and auto stop start.

One of the most annoying things about a rental I once (2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee) had was having to turn off auto stop start every time I got into the car. Or hell having to turn ECT on in my truck.

15. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    I have had really good luck with my Xenondepot lights on my 2017. No issues what so ever and honestly I don't think I could go back to halogens again after having OEM HIDs on my TSX and BMW X3. The difference is that huge.

16. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    Herniator

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    A lot of people are buying cheap bulbs or not installing them properly. Causing the can bus to have issues.

17. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ah, that makes completely sense. I didn't cheap out on my kit and paid for the Phillips bulbs and better ballasts. We don't have can bus on our trucks luckily.

18. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    Herniator

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    How is the light output? Is the light scattered or is it focused?

19. Oct 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Very focused due it being a projector light. The LED replacements that are available are worse in comparison. I think the sites themselves say 30% less than a HID setup; however HIDs cost more and require much more wiring as you were saying.

Herniator[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Your going to hate the 2019 Tacoma. I can almost guarantee you that the Tacoma will get start/stop technology.

Kooltaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top