1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 pre-collision disable?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by kurpak, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    kurpak

kurpak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Off Road
    I was just reading through the 2018 manual and saw this...
    Can someone with a new 2018 verify this is the correct procedure to turn off the pre-collision or is there a button on the dash somewhere? I will NOT be driving with this auto braking feature turned on and it's going to be a PITA to do this menu button clicking every time I start the truck.

pre-collision.jpg

Kinsail48 likes this.
  2. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    Kinsail48

Kinsail48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Rockland, ME
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off-road
    Brand new so nothing yet.
    If the 18s are coming with this crap and you have to shut it off every time you start the truck, I will be driving my 17 until the wheels fall off. I have all these features on the semi I drive for work and it is extremely dangerous. Hopefully enough drivers put their foot down and it will go away. If not I will never buy a new vehicle again. Wait until you use adaptive cruise control for the first time and it automatically hits the brakes. If you don’t shit your pants it will be a miracle.

3. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Watching out of curiosity.

The way that tree reads, it sure sounds like it's an 'every time'.

Unless there is a way to use the Techstream tool to do this, like altering other settings are possible. Guessing even if there is, dealers will be most reluctant to do so. Insurance companies are going to base discounts on that gear, and turning it off will be considered fraudulent.

My solution is not to buy one. Someday it may be the only choice. But it will be a lonnnnnnng time before I do a 'smart key', much less the magic driver stuff.

4. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    synaps3

synaps3 Wag more bark less

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    SOS armor, ARE MX walk-in, Fox coils, Dakar leafs, etc
    Some of it I understand, but the technology just isn't there. I was driving a friend's minivan that has this crap, and a large piece of road debris got kicked up. There wasn't time to stop, so I was just going to hit it and keep going. Well, the fucking turd of a car decided to stop anyways and we not only hit the damn debris, but damn near got ran over by the cars behind us that also had to slam on their brakes. It's stupidly dangerous on the highway.

As for the other stuff, lane departure is a crutch that lets people text and drive better. It's a nuisance in construction zones. The only one that seems ok is BSM, but it still can miss motorcycles.

Arailt, TacoCat, MrBrooks and 5 others like this.
  5. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    This a concern of mine too. My first reaction is to steer and power left or right if a space is There. 2nd steer and brake moving left or right. Worse case brake hard and retract your feet at the last instant lest they get broken on the pedals or firewall. If this system locks the brakes you can't steer. If it's abs you are still likely to get rear ended if you can't maneuver.Just a natural reaction I still have from driving race cars when I was younger and learned the hard way.

6. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    Damn glad I got a 17!

7. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    Might be the equivalent of the ECT button, except alot, lot worse.

8. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    Kinsail48

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Rockland, ME
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off-road
    Driving 400 miles a day with it I see this everyday, the Volvo semi I drive will glitch out on highways when going under overpasses when it sees the shadows with the CC on, it will slam on the brakes thinking it sees a fixed object. I have hundreds of thousands of accident free miles and feel like this is making me worse off. I don’t use the CC at all. I don’t trust it. The BSM goes off all the time with nothing over there, it makes me not want to drive anymore. Really disappointing that Toyota along with all the other manufacturers want to go with it and ruin my hobby along with my job. I just hope people resist it and it doesn’t take off.

9. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Kinsail48

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Rockland, ME
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off-road
    Sorry if I seam like I’m whining but this is a very soar topic for me. Just glad to see that others are as frustrated with it as I am.

P-Dawg likes this.
  10. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    PCHearn

PCHearn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    And what about putting a lift on the 2018 models? How does that affect the "safety" stuff? The sensors will not be pointing where they used to point.

11Bguy likes this.
  11. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    TUDBALL

TUDBALL Active Member

Member:
    Newhall, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Quicksand
    My wife's rav4 has all this fancy stuff and I think it's pretty awesome actually everything works flawlessly. And the cruise control is freaking amazing. I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch.

12. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    kurpak

kurpak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Off Road
    I hope someone who just purchased a 2018 will chime in soon. I drive a lot of highway miles on 1-5 between Portland and Seattle, heavy heavy fast tailgating traffic and there's no way I'm having the computer decide when it's a good time to brake :)
    I also have a 2018 cement on deposit and if this is going to be a huge pain in my rear I might need to reconsider and go with a 2017. I wonder if the pre-collision "on" every restart can be changed via something like techstream. So stupid

13. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i have the same concerns. i have spent all my driving years, i guess about 35 now, refining the craft to get better. i agree that all these nannies are just catch-all's, and their behavior is based on pretty low quality indiscriminate info from the sensors. i trust them basically zero. driving is a risk with or without, so having confidence in myself is the best i got, because i have no confidence in the qualities of a computer's perception.

so so glad i got the 17!

Kinsail48[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    Clear7

Clear7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 2.7L - tried tested & proven
    I'm another 2017 owner just for that reason. I was going to wait, but dealer said it was being added to the 2018. Signed for a 2017 right away. That safety crap is going to spawn terrible driving habits, and end up causing more accidents. Not to mention a huge expense to repair.

Kinsail48 likes this.
  15. Nov 27, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    Kinsail48

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Rockland, ME
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off-road

Absolutely. Couldn’t be more right. I see probably 10 times a day a driver (more times than not a 20 year old woman) barrel across 3 lanes of traffic while texting without looking at any of their surroundings because their little orange light on their mirror went out. Drives me insane. I basically spend 10 hours a day just trying to stay out of the way and not get hit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Clear7 and su.b.rat[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Nov 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Or from performance driving schools, both as student and coach, in addition to competition, even if it's only timed and not fender to fender.

Because defensive driving does not equal stopping in all situations. Sometimes evasive driving, including acceleration, is the right answer.

Too many (a whole generation or two?) don't even understand the term defensive driving, look ahead, anticipate, etc.

17. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    Kinsail48

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Rockland, ME
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off-road
    Yeah the cruise control that you set at 70 and your riding along, look down and your doing 55 because the group of cars an 1/8 mile up slowed down. Drives me nuts all day long. Should not have to watch the speedo all day to see what the truck is doing. I’d rather look out the window and when I see that I’m catching the car up ahead I pull out and pass them or shut the cruise off. Try the cruise in the outskirts of Boston. Absolutely useless. Glad the big truck is governed to 65 so I can just hold the throttle to the floor. You want to pay me to drive the truck let me drive the truck that’s all I ask.

RocTaco and over60 like this.
  18. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    blackcloud08

blackcloud08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    My wifes XSE camry has all the collision, lane departure etc. crap on it and i hate it....

over60 likes this.
  19. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    BillyToy

BillyToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    Now this may be one reason to LIKE TSS. One of my friends uses his wife's Lexus for longer trips because he thinks the adaptive cruise control is so great. To me, it's one more way to take my mind off what I'm doing when it's pretty important to be paying attention. Still, I can see the argument for it.

I'll say another thing: I like knowing that there are a few more horrible drivers out there whose car won't let them ram my bed into an accordion.

Finally, I am (once again) super stoked about my 2017 MT TRD Pro, bro!

20. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    What???? -- as if this --"As for the other stuff, lane departure is a crutch that lets people text and drive better" is something to rave about!!?? Texting and driving is KNOWN to be killing the people doing just that and the other people they hit head on!! No --lane departure is a great feature to remind you to get your ass back in your lane-- the texting should not be happening at all. GET off your phones and drive!

Products Discussed in

To Top