1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Tacoma factory flaw

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ReNn1, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    OP, that is unfortunate.

It is a mechanical device, and Toyota should be able to fix it.

Getting the 8 year 125k is a good accommodation for your troubles, imo.

2. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

That is not an option! As long as Toyo is taking steps to rectify the problem.

BillsSR5[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    Cleetus VanDam

Cleetus VanDam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Leaf spring bike chain mod
    OP, I feel your pain brother, hang in there. I bought my 2017 TRD OR back in August and have had the check engine light come on eight times since. The dealer service department was very dismissive, they told me the gas cap probably wasn't tightened the first time I brought it in. The second visit (after six intermittent check engine lights) they said they couldn't replicate the problem and that their software supposedly didn't show any stored codes. I happened to be driving by the dealer two weeks ago when the light came on for the eighth time. After showing it to them and explaining my frustration with constantly getting blown off, they agreed to keep it for a closer look and gave me a loaner. A few days later they still couldn't figure anything out so they asked for help from Toyota. Toyota told them to change out the section of exhaust pipe that houses the O2 sensors and sure enough, there was a crack in one of the O2 sensor bungs which had been leaking exhaust and causing the intermittent CEL.

I know well how frustrating this is, just hang in there and I'm sure they will make it right. You'll be back to enjoying your truck soon.

4. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    woohoo_tacos

woohoo_tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off-road 4x4
    3” lift 285/70-17 TRD PRO wheels 17x7
    He may of been referring to me since I stated I’ve had issues out the ass and rejected warranty repairs

5. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:51 AM
    Cossack

Cossack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport DCSB MT
    Too bad about the new truck but stick with it and see how it is after the repairs, especially with the extra warranty, it's still basically new.

We had a 13 CRV and the steel wheels were rusting after a year and finish on interior plastics was coming off on it, I'm not convinced of Honda quality either anymore.

6. Feb 3, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    ReNn1

ReNn1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Lol.....I was just talking about taking the Corolla up some 45° inclines and seeing how it does.

7. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    The-Stig

The-Stig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road / Access Cab / Long Bed
    This could actually be a good thing. Look at the warranty they gave you! If anything happens in the next 8 years, you're covered... That's a sweet deal.

War_B0n3r, Spare Parts and ReNn1[OP] like this.
  8. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    This. I have seen it with my own eyes at two different manufacturers (Ford/Chevy). When the vehicle is made on the line, it has to pass a final quality control check. If it does NOT pass that check, it gets sent to a mini-repair station within the factory. Then they'll attempt to fix it and send it BACK for another final inspection. The folks that do these in-house repairs are very qualified, but watching them you'd think they were beating the hell out of those cars. Lots of old school tech like rubber mallets, wood blocks, and elbow grease.

9. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Sure it sucks. But it's being fixed, you have a loaner, and it could be far worse. Accident, no warranty, etc. hang in there and drink a few beers till it's fixed

[​IMG]

ReNn1[OP] and xxTacocaTxx like this.
  10. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Terrible, and now you are going to have to wait for 125k miles before being able to install all those sweet mods! :)

Hope it all works out, your truck will make your day when it is all fixed right.

11. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    BBPSR54X4

BBPSR54X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I would be upset also, but let the dust settle. Hopefully it's just swapping out a part. And the warranty upgrade is nice. 8 years!

ReNn1[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    LS14ME2

LS14ME2 Kind of a big deal

Member:
    In hiding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM Sport DCSB 4x4
    Center console divider thingy, rubber bed mat and side steps for the wife.
    Back in my youth, I worked at the Ford assembly plant in Milpitas, we were building Mustangs and Trucks. The stuff that went on to those poor vehicles before they left the plant was amazing.

SigSense likes this.
  13. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    LS14ME2

LS14ME2 Kind of a big deal

Member:
    In hiding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM Sport DCSB 4x4
    Center console divider thingy, rubber bed mat and side steps for the wife.
    True story, I took my dads prized 1969 T500 Suzuki out for a joy ride when I was young. Clutch cable broke in second gear, I rode that thing home without stopping in second gear, quite a feat in city traffic. Never did that again. He never asked me if I knew what happened.

14. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:

Understandable. I would be pissed off too! Nothing like making a customer feel like a guinea pig... Well done dealershit.

15. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    Pot_Lickr

Pot_Lickr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Access Cab TRD Off Road

To the T buddy...

I love seeing those freshly painted bumpers laying on the floor with the sub harness half out the trunk...

Ill be in the oven area tonight working on a conveyor.... What a pit from hell... I'll try not to lean my greasy hands on a brand new shell.... Freshly painted..

SigSense[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    Welcome to the forum OP
    So sad to hear about your troubles, you seem to have done everything right, and yet life hands you a blow.
    But it’s not an insurmountable blow, you’ll get over this and get back on track. I would also be very pissed had that happened to me, hell it still might, you never know…

Stay on top, stay strong and you’ll be good to go
    Cheers!

shakerhood and ReNn1[OP] like this.
  17. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:08 AM
    Friggin Fuego

Friggin Fuego Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT 4x4, 1988 Toyota Hilux SSR Diesel 5MT 4x4
    So no one on this forum is allowed to share their issues and experiences dealing with them? If others had the same issues, they can share their own experiences on how it was remedied, if it was.

ReNn1[OP] likes this.
  18. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

It is probably just you... There is nothing wrong with your truck!

BillsSR5 likes this.
  19. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Hah, I toured that plant back then. Watching the guys burn rubber off the end of the line in brand new Pintos was amazing! Then locking ‘em up 20 feet later when they parked the cars. To the OP, if you haven’t given up on TW: hang in there, it sounds like your dealer and Toyota are treating you better than many dealerships. But I feel your frustration; I’d want to be out driving my new truck. For what it’s worth, my ‘16 has been very reliable for over 40K miles after a few minor issues that were taken care of, but never in the shop for more than half a day.

ReNn1[OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd be beyond stoked if I got a complimentary 8 year/125k warranty. Be glad you have good people working to correct the issue and not some arrogant prick telling you how to put a gas cap on.

Spare Parts, Jeff4Now and ReNn1[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top