1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 Tacoma TRD Pro Grill

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PatrickTacoma, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    I think if you maybe scrolled down a little, they clearly tell you that some trimming is required for 2018+ models. Hopefully you didn't give them an earful for failing to notice that.

Capture_LI.jpg

2. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    oogielaflick

oogielaflick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4-door; Prvious 23 year owner of 1996 Tacoma
    Quicksand with hood protector, color matching decals on tailgate latch, mudflaps, glovebox, and tailgate hitch cover.
    Wow Johnnyroid! Thanks for showing that. I guess my ranting about it must have done some good, because that notice was NOT on there when I ordered mine! It still seems strange to me though, that they let their merchandise do out knowing in some cases, that it will not fit together properly! I was scared to death that while I was trimming the little tabs, that one would break, and then I would have to crazy glue it or something! Thanks for that post!

3. Dec 5, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    No worries, but it was on there when I ordered mine several months ago, I have a '17, so really of no consequence to me, but when you posted, I remembered something about that, which is why I went to the website. Regardless, hope you enjoy it, so far it's been an excellent product for me. You're most welcome.

4. Dec 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Fulton246

Fulton246 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    I have the OEM grill and garnish. It is plastic -- not glass.

5. Dec 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    krn_taco90

krn_taco90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tacoma TRD pro
    RRW Rock sliders/Front pro grille lights
    HEY GUYS I BOUGHT SOME TRD PRO GRILL LIGHTS FOR MY 19' SUPER WHITE TRD PRO .. I FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS ON INSTALLMENT AND GOT THEM IN,I WOKE UP THIS MORNING AND MY RIGHT HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT WORKING BUT EVERYTHING ELSE,CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE AND IF I NEED TO ADD ADDITIONAL FUSE OR A QUICK FIX IT TIP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS GUYS

6. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    Timbertoy

Timbertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red Tacoma
    Related to which aftermarket TRD grill “the taco garage”. As stated prior they sell very high quality product. Letters screwed in not taped. I also purchased the aftermarket TSS insert which they installed prior to shipping which presently works perfect. Huge savings from OEM.

Highly recommend the The TACO Garage.

**Related to Krn taco90 disconnect power to TRD grill lights and see what happens. I don’t see any connection yet don’t know how you taped into Power supply. Possibly bulb is loose in socket or burned out. Swap opposite side bulb and see what happens. It’s a fast check.

7. Dec 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM
    krn_taco90

krn_taco90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tacoma TRD pro
    RRW Rock sliders/Front pro grille lights
    ahh dude thanks bro it was a loose socket and burned fuse..thanks man I appreciate it .

8. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    danielgonzzz

danielgonzzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Stawk as FUCK!
    Here's a render I made from some random google photo. Anyone rocking a front end like this? Thought about making a new thread but figured this thread might be more appropriate.

ID.AZ likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:08 PM
    CaptainBart45

CaptainBart45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Work in progress...
    I went semi-pro.

Bfy+aoHsRaaPJviWKtj%bQ.jpg

10. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:39 PM
    Meeks13

Meeks13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Cement Pro
    King Suspension-SPC UCAS and Dobinson C59-327 Rear Springs-Duratracs 285/70/17-Shrockworks Sliders-K9 Full Roof Rack-CVT Awning 79”-Canvasback Liners -Morimoto HID -SCS Ray 10s 17x9 -38 Matte Black -OEM Audio Plus Reference Package with Gain Adjuster and Second Dedicated Sub Amp -TRD CAI-ARB Twin air compressor -Rago Fabrication Driver Side Panel -C4 Rear Dual Swingout-C4 Lo Pro- Baja S8-Anytime Front/Rear Camera-Nitro Gears 4.88-RCI Aluminum Transmission/Integration Skids
    I just bought a runnin for tacos grille and garnish from their site too. I had their grille on my 2017 but it didn’t require the garnish as I didn’t have safety sense. How often does the sensor not work in the rain? I live in the PNW too...

11. Dec 7, 2019 at 10:22 PM
    skidooboy

skidooboy titanium plate tester

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Sport OV Tuned, Cement
    dd light bars, trd cat back exhaust, KDMax tuned, trd skid plate, 2" lift, sema wheels toyo open country at3 tires.
    so, if you want to go with the oem toyota pro grille set up on the 19 sport, what items, and part numbers would i need? prefer not to go a/m, would prefer oem, if reasonable in cost. Ski

12. Dec 7, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    markeezy

markeezy RIP Ivan Ma

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Bought mine from Mad Hornets. Quality is great. For $80, I have no complaints.

13. Dec 9, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    oogielaflick

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    Quicksand with hood protector, color matching decals on tailgate latch, mudflaps, glovebox, and tailgate hitch cover.
    Since you didn't see my other comments on this, I will comment again. I just drove my 2019 TRD Sport across the country back in October from CA to NC and back. All the way across the country going east, the PCS OFF light was on, meaning that the PCS system was unavailable. It said "PCS UNAVAILABLE, Clean sensor". At first, I thought that was all it was, but the light would still come on even after I just cleaned the sensor! But then, once I got to NC and the Outer Banks, with its salty ocean spray, everything cleared up and the whole thing has worked perfectly all the way back across the country, and since getting home. I took it to the dealer for the 10,000 mile checkup, and gave them an earful about it not working one way across the country on a cross country trip. They then told me it was a "learning system", which I found hard to believe, but hey, it must be, because it has worked perfectly ever since. And I also bought the aftermarket grill and cover from madhornets. I am convinced that the problems I and others have had with this issue, are not due to the grill or sensor at all, but it just needed to "learn". It took mine about 6700 miles to 'learn', although once I hit 2000 it seemed to work fine around town. It wasn't until I took the cross country trip, that it began to act up again, although as I said, once it 'learned' with the conditions on the road trip, it has been fine ever since. I still think though, that Toyota could do a WHOLE LOT BETTER with this thing, as they obviously did NOT test the thing under real life conditions, such as during rain, on a long trip with bugs splattering on it, and the thick salt spray that comes when being right by the ocean. Hope this info helps!

14. Dec 10, 2019 at 1:17 AM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    All TRD Pro parts
    Testing aftermarket parts isn't Toyota's job. I have an OEM PRO grille and garnish and never experienced any "learning" curve you speak of, mine worked perfectly out of the box. Perhaps you should contact Madhornets and have THEM do more testing?

15. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    Timetraveler66

Timetraveler66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OEM on a 19 SR5 with less than 200 miles on it. Put the grill and garnish on and worked perfect right out of the box. No learning.

16. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:41 AM
    oogielaflick

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    I can't believe you misunderstood my comment! I NEVER said anything about it being Toyota's job to test aftermarket parts! I mean, c'mon now! I was CLEARLY referring to the TSS system itself. Clearly, Toyota did not do any testing in real life, because I think if they did, they would have realized that there are problems with the TSS system when it rains, or when such things as bugs splatter onto the sensor cover, thereby hindering the job of the sensor itself. I did a dang good job in testing the thing, considering I drove all the way across the country and back. That is a pretty dang good test, if I say so myself! Not only did I learn things about the TSS system, but I learned a LOT more things about my truck that I would never have learned just by driving it around town, which is what I had done in the first few months since I got it back in April of 2019. As others here have also said, I am perfectly happy with my aftermarket grill from Madhornets. I am also very happy with the money I saved by buying from them, rather than paying more than double to get one from the dealer.

17. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:44 AM
    oogielaflick

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    The TSS system learns as one drives the truck. You have hardly driven it enough for it to learn yet. Mine really didn't work right around town, and the short trips of one hour or less, until I put about 2000 miles on the truck. And then, just when I thought it had settled down and was working perfectly, that was when I took the cross country trip, and almost right after I first hit the road, about an hour on the highway, that was when I got the first PCS OFF warning light in the dash. That continued all the way across the country, before it finally stopped on the Outer Banks of NC at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse! From there on back across the country, and around town ever since, it has worked perfectly.

18. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    skiploder

skiploder Personally holding a grudge against Falken

Member:
    Somewhere NE of Kanab
    Vehicle:
    FZJ80/XJ LS swap
    Looking into my crystal ball, I predict that in the near future one of these three things will happen:

1. Someone will hijack this thread with their own unrelated or semi-related question.

2. Someone will ask for the fifth time about the quality Mad Hornet grill. Someone will answer. The answer will be ignored and the question will be asked again.

3. This thread will drop off the front page, wherein the 9000th pro grill thread will promptly take it's place.

rigoberd, UncleShrek and piff like this.
  19. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    Palmer812

Palmer812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    19 SR5 double cab v6 Cement Gray
    I had a 2019 SR5 and switched the grill out for an OEM Pro grill and OEM garnish at 300 miles. Never had and errors with the SR5 grill and none with the Pro grill for 5 months and 3,300 miles. Reinstalled the SR5 grill to trade the truck in and drove 60 miles to the dealership in the rain with zero problems. Got a 2020 TRD Sport and on the way home about 8 miles from the dealership I got a "clean sensor" error and lost cruise control and the other carp. It came back on after a few minutes but cut off again about 7-8 times on the way home. That was 3 weeks ago and it hasn't happened since but haven't driven it in heavy rain again either.

20. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    oogielaflick

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    EXACTLY. You confirmed what I said in my comment, in that it is NOT the grill or whether it is an OEM or aftermarket, but the TSS System itself that is to blame. Toyota just did not test it enough or under real world conditions. I mean, the safety sense system, such as it is, should work at all times, but most importantly, during rainy weather, or in long drives where one could encounter bugs splattering all over the front grill, including on the front of the sensor cover. Also, the system should work even in fog, or if the windshield gets dirty, because the system works with the windshield camera in conjunction with the sensor behind the grill. Two parts and if one or the other is affected, the system shuts off. This is well documented in tests done by Robmotive on his Youtube channel. He posted a great video where he MAKES the TSS system FAIL. It clearly shows how little things can make it fail. here is a link to that video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XMgkZhExg

Products Discussed in

To Top