1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 Tailgate Lock - PN: PK3B6-35JS0

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Goncalves_Taco, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Dec 15, 2022 at 10:08 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Let me know if you need to borrow... I hardly ever use it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    daveeasa[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 16, 2022 at 3:29 AM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    I’m quite fond of IWISS as a reasonable substitute…
    https://www.amazon.com/do/B0732W6HQR/

helix66[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 16, 2022 at 4:43 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    Yeah, IWiss is my daily driver. It’s fantastic for most things and faster since it crimps seals and terminals in one squeeze. Where I need the green one is for larger or smaller gauges. The Iwiss sealed doesn’t crimp 20 gauge metripack tight enough and doesn’t cinch the seals all that well either on most stuff. So I tidy up with the green open barrel crimper as needed. Then for milspec and some two wire crimps I use an Aptiv branded crimper which has more power but cost an arm and a leg, and the green machine for the seals there.

Anyway, that green one really has everything needed and it’s pretty cheap, outside of efficiency it’s my first pick for general purpose even though it doesn’t ratchet. Or perhaps general purpose to me is non ratcheting since that forces you to get the feel of how hard to squeeze. The weatherpack depinning tool is also nice for pushing in recessed TPA’s.

Always great to have more tools. I have about 12 crimpers in a plastic bin in a drawer along with another bin for strippers, cutters and de-pinning tools. The only one I don’t particularly like is the molex branded one, I prefer a knockoff Qibaok for the MX-150 terminals.

Scmazon link here:

Weather Pack Terminal Crimper + Removal Tool For Delphi Weatherpack Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJMFBK3

helix66 likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    helix66

helix66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DPRC
    Vehicle:
    2017 DclB TRDor MgM
    ProGrille,MesoStuff,Tinted,AllPro sliders, RCI full AL skids, KDmaxPro tune, Demello stealth bumper, Warn evo10s, BD s8 & squadrons
    Awesome, thanks for all that info.
    Always like buying tools!!

5. Dec 23, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    helix66

helix66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DPRC
    Vehicle:
    2017 DclB TRDor MgM
    ProGrille,MesoStuff,Tinted,AllPro sliders, RCI full AL skids, KDmaxPro tune, Demello stealth bumper, Warn evo10s, BD s8 & squadrons

Is that corsa site the best place to find these kind of connectors?

https://www.corsa-technic.com

6. Dec 23, 2022 at 1:40 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    The owner has been fantastic and just super awesome to work with. For small to medium quantities, Corsa is my first choice.

helix66[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2023 at 10:29 AM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD OR 4x4 DCLB
    Fox 2.5 DSC Adjusters (Extended Travel), Camburg UCA, RCI Rear Bumper, Cali-Raised Zero Degree Step Rock Sliders (with filler plates), Softopper, TRD Pro Skid, Rigid, Baja and KC lights, H9 Headlight Upgrade.
    Just curious of the people that installed these: What did you use for the 3M autobody sealer? I could not find it at any local auto shops and didn't really want to order it for $40 when I was going to use a tiny drop of the stuff. I went with a standard clear RTV silicone. Hoping that will have the same effect. Not really even sure what the 3M sealer does except for prevent water from rusting the metal contact points? Is this where the tailgate lock is grounded?

8. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:34 PM
    Comm_Guy

Comm_Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vero Beach, FL, USA
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Keeping it simple and OEM, Tailgate Letters, Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Exhaust Tip, Peragon Bed Cover, Ham Radio Install.
    I used the 3M body sealer, they had it at Advanced Auto or one of those stores a town over from me. Probably could have found a cheaper solution but I'm a stickler for details and figured I can loan it out if anyone local needs some.

9. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:38 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 DSC Adjusters (Extended Travel), Camburg UCA, RCI Rear Bumper, Cali-Raised Zero Degree Step Rock Sliders (with filler plates), Softopper, TRD Pro Skid, Rigid, Baja and KC lights, H9 Headlight Upgrade.
    Thanks!

Just curious if anyone knows why they call out that specific sealer and if a standard RTV silicone would be a fine sub? Still not sure what that little clip is doing besides maybe providing a ground for the wire harness.

10. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    It’s not a ground. A zip tie would work too, or even better a pair of zip ties.

I bought the 3M stuff but haven’t used it since. The metal clip has more bite than I feel is necessary.

11. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:54 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Got it, so not the ground point. In the instructions it called out the 3M sealer to "prevent corrosion" or something along those lines. So you are saying it is merely used to secure that attachment point better?

12. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I believe the 3M sealer is to prevent corrosion from the teeth of the metal clip which bite into the tailgate rib. That was my assessment at the time. A zip tie around that rib and another to secure the harness to the first zip tie would work as well or better without any metal on metal in my opinion. It wouldn't look quite as pretty but this isn't something you see. I would consider that option if I were doing this again, no need to buy the 3m product and maybe 1% lower risk of corrosion but not a big deal any which way.

13. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Oh interesting. So basically any way you secure that clamp is pretty much going to work and shouldn't cause much issue as long as it holds.

EDIT: I think there is also a zip tie they call out at that point if my memory is correct, so I guess that area is double secured.

14. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:22 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it's zipped to the camera harness once it gets close to the point of exit. But the tailgate lock harness feeds the other side from the camera so they secure it to the rib between the handle and the bottom of the tailgate.
    I don't know of a clean zip tie which could wrap around the rib and secure the harness but a pair of zip ties seem like they would work reasonably well to secure the harness.

15. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:38 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    For sure. On page twelve they do have you zip tie around that same tailgate rib and around the harness as well. Seems like doubling down on security for that point. Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 1.37.00 PM.jpg

TRDRed and Comm_Guy like this.
  16. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Ah, yeah, that was an awkward zip tie. I think that around the rib + one or two small ones securing the loom to that zip tie would work better.

I think there's a chance that without the metal clip and without the zip tie, the harness could move. It doesn't concern me at all though, it's not like there are rotational parts in this tailgate or excessive heat.

The best way might be a 3d printed plastic piece to zip tie on which won't move and the harness can then be zipped to.

This and the tailgate grommet are sort of the weakest points of an awesome package. And the goof with the male & female connector orientation on body vs tailgate harness.

17. Jan 30, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Yeah agreed. The 3D printed part would be ideal.

Yeah the kit is pretty well made. I honestly struggled the most with getting the new plastic clips to click on. Took me forever because I didn't want to break them as a few other people have mentioned that happening to them.

18. Jan 31, 2023 at 3:44 AM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    What about using a zip tie anchor?

Can’t remember what they did in mine (factory install (port - GST)). I’m sure there are photos in this thread…

19. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:28 AM
    DeuceDeuceBravo

DeuceDeuceBravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    I just did this install on my 2022 DCSB and wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread to make it easier. I struggled for a bit with the stupid wire retaining clips between the tailgate and the bed, but otherwise it was a straightforward process. I have a LOT of leftover zip ties. Might go back and add a few more just for redundancy.
    On to the next mod! :thumbsup:

TRDRed and daveeasa like this.
  20. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:25 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    One other way:
    • Remove the tailgate