1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 TRDOR shaking from rear when braking

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nickrick78, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 16, 2019 at 1:12 AM
    Rik808

Rik808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i also had the same problem and new not toyota drums and shoes fixed the problem, one caveat however is i read that the dealership over tightens the shoes so when i installed new ones i gave them a few microns more space.
    so not sure which "fix" actually remedied the problem but i did get it remedied.

2. Dec 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    nickrick78

nickrick78 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now

Interesting. I'll suggest that, thanks.

3. Dec 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    Now they're claiming the pushrod between the booster and master could be the problem? I think they have no clue and they're throwing parts at it.

Pro-Taco and AKGSD like this.
  4. Dec 19, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    silverflash

silverflash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4x4 OFFROAD DCSB Auto Quicksand
    tyger armor side bars tyger tri-fold tonneau cover avs bug deflector II scangauge II
    first off, thanks for the thread!!!!! I appreciate it because i have a 2019 TRD OR 4x4 and have the same exact issue! Been doing if for at least 1000 miles maybe more and I am at 5000 miles. There is another thread on here for 3rd gens in general and most of those are not 2019 OR TRD's but prior years non-TRDs. With that said, there is a tsb that covers 2017-2018's - tsb 0023-18. That was superseded to include the 2019 truck in march 2019. that tsb is the same but ends in -19. The -18 tsb mentions it applying to non-TRD tacomas that have the BD20 rear diff. The -19 tsb only says tacomas with the BD20 diff. I am assuming I have another DIFF because i have the OR trd and from what i can find, it doesn't have that diff because i have the electronic rear locker. So as far as that part of the tsb, it may be a clerical error- probably is, or the problem is bigger than they think.

The vin list where there list which vins are fixed is ghigher than my vin, so it applies to me in that regard.

i visited dealer yesterday without knowing all of the above yet, and they basically blew me off after a test drive saying it's a characteristic of a light truck. bull shit. it's not.

there is a problem with mine because it gets worse the more you use the brakes. it doesn't stay the same. that is classic out of round issue. metal expands as it heats. i have good experience with front brakes doing that on other cars. new discs fix. but the pedal pulsates, not the seat.

so in my case with this taco, i get vibes in SEAT and in the floorboard that jiggle my leg calf fat. on the test drive it wasn't that bad so i caved. on the way home after 20 miles of stop and go, it was really bad. and i am pissed.

i called toyota corporate and opened a case yesterday. spoke with 2 csrs so far and my case manager called and left me a vmail right before he left for the day today so i missed him. i am supposed to be talking with him tomorrow.

i mentioned the tsb to the csr today and she noted it in the case notes. she didn't understand the whole "VIN numbers BEFORE the ones listed below in the TSB are affected" verbage in the tsb until she read it a few times.

so to summarize, i have the same symptoms as what the TSB covers. Even if i don't have the BD20 diff. I don't give a rats ass. I got a problem with brakes on a near $40k truck that has 5000 easy miles on it and i want it fixed.

oh and the TSB has the fix-

new axle in the back- assuming that's the axle shaft- whichever one is out of spec or both if they both are out of spec.

5. Dec 19, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    CrispyTacoLover

CrispyTacoLover Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hope you guys are versed with the lemon laws of your state.

Good luck!

6. Dec 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    AKGSD

AKGSD Warranty denied

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 QSDCSBTRDOR4X4V6MT
    Dog hair, metaltech 4x4 rocksliders, KBVooDoo bed risers, Smittybilt RTT, 3” spacer lift (Removed!), caliraised ditch lights, amazon rock lights, OVtune, Skewp
    OP, you are well within your rights to lemon law it, and i would.

7. Dec 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    silverflash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    tyger armor side bars tyger tri-fold tonneau cover avs bug deflector II scangauge II
    got a call from toyota- they can't do anything until the dealer finds a problem. i suppose my leg vibrating while hitting the brake does not qualify. so, i will jsut put some miles on it until it's obvious to a moron then go back.

did i buy a chrysler or a toyota?

8. Dec 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    silverflash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    filed a complaint with NHTSA. I suggest all having the issue and that is not getting resolved by dealer to do the same.

MikeyD.25 likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    Update:

Dealer claims truck is fixed, and that the cause was the brake master cylinder pushrod was too long. They adjusted it to the proper spec and no more shake. It'll be a couple days until I can pick it up, but I will update when I do. I am skeptical at this point that it is truly fixed, and told the manager that my patience will have ended if I show up there and it's not fixed.

10. Dec 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    evanwile

evanwile Canadian Pomp

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6M
    Same issue with my truck.. 2018 sport.. they just machined the drums.. its better but 1000kms in since its coming back...

11. Dec 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    JimmyThammavong

JimmyThammavong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Lawrenceville
    There is no fixed for this problem I have to lemon my truck for the exact same issue...

12. Dec 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    silverflash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    i really feel it a bad batch of axle shafts and it could be that people getting them replaced are getting them replaced with another bad one- the issue is that they are not doing their jobs right. they don't check the clearances as indicated in the tsb. everyone needs to complain to corporate by opening a case up and also to the nhtsa by submitting a complaint form. a new truck, or any truck under warranty- should not be vibrating while stopping. that does not provide confidence to me while stopping.

13. Dec 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    I got new axle shafts, and when it went back in for service they ordered three more pairs of axles, all four pairs measured identical according to them.

14. Dec 20, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    JimmyThammavong

JimmyThammavong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Lawrenceville
    The problem is people in denial thinks it’s a privilege to drive Tacoma and not saying anything negative.
    Axles replaced 3 times, drums 2 times, resurfaced drums 2 times.
    I had 2019 Tacoma trd off road 4x2 for 6 months before toyota bought it back. I want to burn that truck since week one of ownership.

15. Dec 23, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    UPDATE: it's finally fixed! The cause of the problem this entire time was the pushrod for the brake pedal to master cylinder was adjusted way too long, causing the rear brakes to engage too soon and overheat. They adjusted the pushrod to the proper spec, replaced the rear shoes and drums, balanced the tires, and it's all good. Truck is all around way smoother now. I'm thrilled and finally love this truck again.

jackn7, DriverSound and evanwile like this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    evanwile

evanwile Canadian Pomp

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6M
    Good to hear!

Any chance you could get some more info from them regarding where the pushrod was or what the spec is that it should be adjusted to? If not no worries, but im curious!

Cheers.

17. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    From what they are telling me, the pushrod is the adjustable part of the linkage between the brake pedal and master cylinder. They said it is a goofy setup compared to something like a fixed-length GM setup. The spec is 214-224mm, they measured mine at 234mm.

18. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    silverflash

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:

when was your truck built and which plant? trying to see if maybe mine has the same issues. the yahoos at my dealer said "normal characteristic". it wasn't that bad when we test drove together but later in the day it was when i was just in it.. of course.

19. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    nickrick78

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    ---built in Mexico
    ---11/2018 build date

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  20. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    All TRD Pro parts
    Good thing my dealer didn't perform axle TSB or did anything else. I have no faith in dealers, majority are morons that can't tell a difference between a d!ck and a finger. Mine comes and goes occasionally, and not nearly as bad as some of you experience. I guess I'll just wait until the correct TSB is issued. Thanks for the updates OP! Happy Holidays!

silverflash likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top