1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 tacoma sr5 non jbl wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by GunJunkie, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Aug 4, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    reyldzz

reyldzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tacoma SR5
    WIP
    I've got one here at work! Just need to find time to get to my truck in between customers.

2. Aug 4, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    destin_meeks

destin_meeks I used to fix people's crappy stereos

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM DoubleCab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Ok good, here are the steps

1) test for 12v on both sides of the fuse on the sub. If you have 12v on one side but not the other, the fuse is blown. If you don’t have 12v at all, check the fuse at the battery

2) if you have 12V at the sub, next you want to check AC Volts on the speaker input wires. Unplug the speaker wire harness and stick your leads in the pos and neg and set the meter to AC. Get some music playing and you should see voltage go up and down with the volume. If you dont get AC volts with music playing, you’re spliced into the wrong wires

If you have power and audio, but its still not working, you may start looking into it being defective

3. Aug 4, 2020 at 4:21 PM
    JimResnikoff

JimResnikoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Rockford / Focal Audio upgrade
    @destin_meeks Seems my truck is suffering from water damage coming in through the vents at the back of the cab.. It's back at the dealer now... I can say that sealing the outside of the vent box in my case.. I also sprayed 8 coats of gorilla spray and it did not help.. The water comes in through the flaps.

After all the work I put paper towels down to test for any further water intrusion.. They were soaked after the next rain.

4. Aug 4, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    That’s crazy! Definitely not supposed to work that way. Might back wall stays bone dry

5. Aug 4, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yea.. I saw some other threads on this topic here.. Its apparently been an issue with some since at least 2016.. I can't believe the amount of water that came in.. I only noticed because I had the back bins / grey matt out.. I wonder how many out there have mold growing and don't even know it.

Clearly this will not work with an MDF subwoofer box that is carpeted.. I am now thinking of using bedliner spray instead of carpet.. Once I get the truck back from the dealer...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...and-yours-are-too.460293/page-3#post-23916866

6. Aug 4, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I’m a fan of the cheap roll-on monstaliner. Or if you have a nice air compressor (pancake compressors need not apply) then I really like spraying on Raptor Liner. Lined the whole tub of my Jeep in it and it was awesome. One day I’ll do my fenders and my door sills

7. Aug 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    @destin_meeks .. I dropped off the videos and photos I took at the dealer.. We had a good chat on the topic. I'll post back with whatever "fix" they decide to go with. I have a feeling all they are going to do is swap out the vent boxes.. Will keep you posted.

8. Aug 8, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    Chastaco

Chastaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORDCSB Cement 4x4 Auto
    Everything ended up going together perfect and sounds awesome! really glad you convinced me to just take out the whole cubby. Thanks!

Probably impossible to answer without hearing it but does anything look drastically off with the amp settings?

Definitely going to need to add a sub/bass knob. I like a good amount of bass when I’m listening to hip-hop but when I listen to some zeppelin songs they sound a little off. I don’t see many namebrand ones that I recognize. Is the PAC LC1 decent?
    PAC LC-1 Remote Amplifier Level Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J226O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3HTlFbXWHFSH4

31CEE651-39FE-44F1-8971-829A2A99A2F3.jpg
    A094720F-C136-4E65-8110-B55D224F16AA.jpg
    673F2717-7E31-44A8-8856-30090BF03E30.jpg

9. Aug 8, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I use the PAC LC-1 in my truck actually. Works fine. You can pop the housing off pretty easy and drill a small hole in a blank switch panel or the dash somewhere and flush mount the knob.

as for the settings, my standards are
    BASS BOOST dead center, straight up.
    Crossover (LPF) between 80-100hz. Yours looks really high which is why Zep sounds bad. I usually put on Soul to Squeeze by RedHotChiliPeppers and play around with it until I hear the higher notes of the bass guitar come through, but not any vocals. If your crossover is too high, you’ll get vocals and guitar through your sub which sounds awful. If it’s too low, you won’t get any bass guitar or tom’s from the drum set, which makes it sound weak.

Chastaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 10, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    @destin_meeks Heard from the dealer tonight.. (they have had the truck for a week) So far all I know is that the truck failed the water test. Factory replacement vents have been installed.. I also received my lomax bed cover which I will also install once I get the vehicle back.. Any suggestions for bed bulkhead / Cab weather stripping? Looking to make this as painless as possible.. Also waiting for a replacement sub that tore during testing.. This build has been killing me.

11. Aug 10, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I can’t say I know any better or worse weather stripping lol

I do know that it’s good you found this issue out now rather than later. And I definitely know that by the time it’s all said and done, you’ll have an even greater appreciation for the system because it will be a huge labor of love

12. Aug 11, 2020 at 4:26 AM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Amen Destin.. I'm glad I found out sooner rather than later.. Once I get everything done I'll take a few pics and post them here.. I guess I'm off to the
    Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells forum for a bit.

13. Aug 11, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I’ll just tell you now, NOTHING over the bed is waterproof Lol. I’ve got a leer shell that has had every type of foam or weather stripping and it still leaks. All the threads about caps and shells and covers say they all leak. I just load the truck accordingly. Also, I have a cheap rubber bed mat back there that lays on top of the channels in the bed, so when water does trickle back there, it stays down in the channels and everything up on the mat stays dry.

I fortunately, all the dealers and installers seem to be no help. They will all tell you “it’s within manufacturers specs” and I’m like, the manufacturer ALLOWS this shell to leak?... but if you call the manufacturer, they give you a list of dealers to go talk to. So everyone eventually gives up and just makes the best of it

14. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Understood.. I was just hoping that more sealing between the bed and the cab would prevent Niagra falls from spilling into the cab. My last truck had the Xtang cover which surprisingly kept almost every bit of water out of the bed.. I'm fine with the occasional drips etc... No matter what I do I will put "something" in between the cab and the bed.. Even if it is just a pool noodle. LOL.

15. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I don’t have anything between my shell and the cab and I have never had a drop of water come in

yet

16. Aug 11, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Well the dealer called.. They are pulling the whole "it's been modified" excuse due to the silicone and gorilla spray. Looks like I will be on my own with this now..

17. Aug 11, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah no duh it’s been modified... it was leaking like crazy and I tried to stop it

18. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    @destin_meeks Yea.. that's basically the deal but it takes warranty work off the table.. Tonight I just picked up the truck and let them know that after buying 3 trucks from them over the years.. This is the end. Also when I got home and it was dark.. I took a light and shined it from the interior of the cab at the vents.. Looking between the cab and the bed I saw a complete band of light coming through the vent perimeter.. Clear as day the gap is where the water is coming in from.. At this point I will purchase replacement vents.. They quoted me 120 for the pair yet I found them online for 35 bucks a piece.. Not looking forward to lifting the bed off the truck in order to "do it right" But you gotta do what you gotta do. I find it ironic that if I had never started this audio upgrade I would have never found the issue / problem until the damage is done but that's the way some things go at times.

19. Aug 11, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I have seen several people say they sealed up the vents completely and have not noticed any negative issues.

I might also look into taking it to a different dealership. Often people will find that dealerships don’t like other dealerships and if you tell them “the other Toyota dealer wouldn’t fix it even though they should” then they will almost insist they fix it. Super easy way to win over a customer for the next vehicle.

20. Aug 12, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    JimResnikoff

Member:
    First Name:
    JIm
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    So today I go to drive to another dealer.. now the radio display is off and it won’t power on. Checked 20 amp fuse in engine fuse block and it’s ok. Also not getting g remote power on which is also tapped into radio harness. Now what ? Also mirrors do not adjust. Any idea which fuse that would be? It’s not readily identifiable

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
To Top