1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Tacoma Teased

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by eric0947, Jan 29, 2019.

1. May 4, 2019 at 9:50 PM
    NMBruce

NMBruce Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470 (past 85, 2-1987 pickups,90, 92, 96 pickup, 2000 xtracab, 2002 double cab)
    Demello Off Road front bumper, MetalTech rear bumper, RCI skids & Rock rails
    If this comes true, then the next gen Tacoma might be too late for me. But if Toyota keeps improving this gen, then this gen might work, but as it sits today, I am not sure it is at the top of my list

2. May 4, 2019 at 9:53 PM
    deusxanime

deusxanime Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4 Prem+Tech
    In my state at least (not sure if the same elsewhere), you also get the value of your trade-in subtracted from the purchase price of the new one when tax is calculated. So that right there will probably save around $3k. Planning on probably trading my '19 Sport for a '20 (not sure if going to go Sport or OR at this point). I'm hoping to get it for very little out the door or added on to the loan. Going to have to go over it with the dealer and see what they can do. There were some issues with 3rd party add-ons I did through them that went bad, so I'm hoping they'll give me a sweet deal on purchase, trade-in, or both. Just want to start with a clean, new truck and go a bit slower on it and make it my own.

3. May 4, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco #8 2019 TRD Sport DCSB 4WD Tech & Prem
    3'' 5100 lift, Ridge Grappler's on Fuel Shoks
    I just did this. You will eat some but if you can negotitate trade and new truck price right its not terrible, of course sales are down now across all brands and 2020 refresh is around the corner, which is probably why I got the deal I got. I'm betting you'll have to wait to score a real good deal a bit as it seems there are quite a few here looking to move into a 2020 so dealers wont be budging too much at first on them.

4. May 5, 2019 at 12:09 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Calvary Blue
    What was the reason for the trade on the same year truck?

5. May 5, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    sqa4life

sqa4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Has anyone seen the 2020 SR5?

6. May 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    ehvenegas

ehvenegas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR Cement
    That's not bad! I paid $36.6 before taxes back in October with Premium and Tech. That was after A LOT of negotiating. I'm actually considering downgrading to the RAV4 TRD coming out later this year.

TacoBuffet likes this.
  7. May 6, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco #8 2019 TRD Sport DCSB 4WD Tech & Prem
    3'' 5100 lift, Ridge Grappler's on Fuel Shoks
    Gotta love Tacoma resale. That's why I always buy new now that I can afford to.

8. May 8, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Kauai_Tacoma

Kauai_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma sport
  9. May 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    6MTPro

6MTPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    265/75/16
    Not sure if this was posted on the other 101 pages (not from what I saw). But in addition to the other changes teased I think that Toyota will refresh the instrument cluster. Not unprecedented and would be similar to what they did with the refresh of the current gen 4Runner with that Lexus styling. Also, going further out with this I see offering the Pro trim with a digital cluster to differentiate that line and the premium price from the other trim offerings since a lot of the belly aching is that the Pro is similar in a lot of ways to say the off-road.

IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg

arnette64 likes this.
  10. May 13, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    guru

guru Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks like the first picture is from a Diesel, looking at the tachometer.

=JSG=, arnette64 and GillyLink like this.
  11. May 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    deusxanime

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    There was a rumor about that due to that 4500rpm redline, but I think it has been pretty much debunked.

I like the current cluster vs. that new one (if that is even what it is going to look like), so hopefully they keep the old, at least in the non-Pro. Guess we'll see in a few months!

12. May 15, 2019 at 3:54 AM
    Yelm

Yelm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Tumwater, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma (Cement)
    lift, tires and wheels done at the dealership
    Is it wrong that I don't want the 2020 to be a big improvement?

13. May 15, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    Blauman

Blauman Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    trading in for a Taco
    If you just bought a 2019 I can kind of understand why you would think that for selfish reasons. Cars and trucks always change and you have to ultimately be happy with the purchase you made for many years potentially. The good thing though is that the Tacoma has the highest resale value of any truck so if the 2020 has stuff you really cannot live without just hang out till they come out and trade up. More than likely you will loose very little in the process from a money perspective.

slns831 likes this.
  14. May 15, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    It was mentioned somewhere here that half the reason behind a mid-cycle refresh is to get existing owners trading in. In many cases Toyota and the dealers can make more clear profit over you trading in your three or four years old Tacoma for a new Tacoma than selling you a new one outright.

They make profit on the new vehicle they sold you (including warranty, dealer extras, delivery charges, etc)

The dealer undervalues your trade and then make huge profit reselling your old Taco.

They keep you in the “Toyota Family” and keep selling you service and parts, along with the same to the new owner of your old Tacoma, and the cycle repeats.

They just gotta make that refresh enticing! Ohhhhh LED Headlights.......Ohhhhhh Power Seats!.....

It was their plan all along.

15. May 16, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    Stryde22

Stryde22 Member

Member:
    So I have been impatiently waiting for the 2020s to hit the lots this fall. I currently do not have a Tacoma but I thought it was worth waiting for the 2020 to come out. What is the best way to order/transport specific model/trim levels? I want a cement TRD Sport DCLB and don't really want to settle for anything less than that. Does anyone have experience in ordering specific trims and what not?

16. May 16, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    deusxanime

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Basically just go to a dealer and ask them to put in an allocation reservation for you. Some might let you be put on a waiting list right now, but I don't think they can actually order anything specific yet. Not until you see the 2020s show up on the Toyota build site with pricing and such, then I think they can start putting orders in for specific vehicles (usually sometime around July). Unfortunately they can't request custom trucks be built, but they can request when a specific combo comes off the line to have it sent to them. That means that you'll have to wait for your truck to be built and can't be sure exactly how long it will take once you put in your order.

Unfortunately you are at their mercy to order a truck and lose a bunch of leverage when you do so. Since you aren't getting a Pro you can probably get at least MSRP or hopefully a bit better as far as pricing. Just because you are ordering doesn't mean you can't negotiate, but it puts the ball more in their court. On the other hand, if it isn't too exotic of a combo, you might be able to locate the truck elsewhere and then it might be easier to just take a trip to get it or have them arrange a dealer swap.

Gsxrgrl21 likes this.
  17. May 16, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    Stryde22

Stryde22 Member

Member:
    Thanks! Yeah I just want a cement TRD Sport DCLB with at least the Tech package. I hope that isn't too custom or much of a hassle. My wife mentioned that since I would be requesting a specific build it would put the negotiation leverage in their favor. I am thinking if I can get it for MSRP or slightly lower I will be in good shape. Has anyone had any luck of using Cargurus or similar site to identify a vehicle and travel to the dealership? I just don't know if I want to wait for "my" truck to pop up that way.

18. May 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    jcardona1

jcardona1 Member

Member:
    I've tried doing a pre-order with a deposit and all my local dealerships have told me to go pound sand. Would be nice to know which dealerships actually allow people to reserve vehicles in advance!

19. May 16, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    TacoMan408

TacoMan408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 Sport Manual
    Bakflip MX4, OEM Audio + Reference 450Q, OPT7, G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors, Suntek Carbon 35% Tint (all windows)
    When the 2020's come out reach out to a bunch of dealers in your area with the exact spec truck you want. Email the fleet/internet manager, you can usually find their contact on the website. If nobody can find it, they will let you order it and tell them to give you the best price as you are reaching out to multiple dealerships. Go with the dealer that gives you the lowest price and even try to negotiate others down further with the lowest one you already have in your back pocket.

I did this in 2016 ordering my TRD Sport 6MT. Even being the first model year, a dealer was able to do $2,500 off MSRP. I think you can do better than that in the 4th year of this model. I had to order it and wait 3 months. Worth the wait for everything exactly how I wanted it.

Here is a sample email I sent out to all dealers:

Hi [xxxxxxx],

I got your contact info fro the dealer website. I am reaching out to a few Toyota dealerships as I am interested in buying/ordering a new 2020 Tacoma and would like you to offer me a price based on the options I am looking for.

Code Option
    7543 TRD Sport Double Cab 4X4 V6 M/T
    202 Black
    CF Carpet Floor Mats
    MF Mudguards
    TO Towing Package

*Note: I do not want the tech package with the sunroof or tonneau cover*

I appreciate your time and look forward to your response.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    Gsxrgrl21 likes this.
  20. May 16, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    guru

guru Well-Known Member

Member:
    I put down a deposit and pre-ordered a 2020 quicksand Double Cab TRD Off Road at my dealership in Ottawa (Canada) at the beginning of this month. We negotiated and priced based o a 2019 because those details are readily available. The paperwork specifies that the order is based on availability (colour and packages) and that the final price I pay depends on the MRSP of the 2020 and the discount we discussed. As soon as the truck is allocated and more details are available, they will contact me and I can finalize the exact specs and price. I was told I was the first one.
    I have to say that I know the sales manager personally (he's a friend) and I can trust him. I also pay cash and have no trade in so the transaction is not complicated. I would probably not do this at a random dealership.

Products Discussed in

To Top