1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Tacoma - 6 Speed Manual - "Overland Light" MPG Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by montypower, May 1, 2021.

1. May 1, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    montypower

montypower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Introducing a different style project... not the "cool guy" type build. Practical and functional with MPG being a primary focus.

[​IMG]

I've built many off road and trail type rigs over the past couple decades. Our last 1998 Tacoma was on 37s, 230:1 crawl ratio, arb lockers and more. Tons of fun on hard core rock crawling trails like Fordyce, Rubicon, Dusy Ershim. Our current travel rig is a 2020 Super Duty on 37s, dual lockers, sliders, bumpers, winch... and a truck camper. We love traveling and off road trails! Our Super Duty is an awesome travel/off road rig with 550 mile range but at 10-12mpg it's not inexpensive especially with rising fuel prices. It's ideal for slower travel

We've been missing the old Tacoma... especially the manual transmission. We would go out for 3+ week long trips with moderate comfort (fridge, 17gal 2ho, 4" foam bed, solar) and got 18mpg. The new Tacoma isn't going to be an off road trail truck - realistically these modern Tacomas are too big, expensive and difficult to modify. It will be primarily used for recreational adventures. Hauling the MTB bikes and paddle boards. However, I want to use this truck for 2-3 week trips as well. Hence the "overland light" build. Goal is to maintain 20+ MPG average while loaded on trips with the ability to camp out of it comfortably.

1st Oil Change @ 1,500 miles. We are near 2,000 miles currently. Fuel mileage to date: 22.7, 22.6, 21.4, 19.5, 21.1 --- current tank is pushing 24mpg.

2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab

6 Speed MANUAL - LOVE IT! Reason we purchased the truck
    3.5L v6 - 278hp@6,000rpm - 265ftlbs@4600rpm
    Auto Limited Slip (ABS braking)
    130amp Alternator
    17" Alloy Wheels
    Cement Color
    TRD Premium Sport Package (not something I wanted): Heated Seats, Auto Headlights, Premium Auto, Navigation)
    All Weather Floor Liners (these are nice)
    Mudguards

Goals:
    Ability to camp comfortably with my wife (2-3 week trips)
    Haul MTB Bikes & Paddle Boards
    Capability to access any remote lake, trail head or scenic destination (overland style)
    20+ MPG Loaded

20210425_145503.jpg

2. May 1, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ

Looking at high rise canopy for bed platform. Loved this setup for the last Tacoma! I've done several roof tents and it's way better sleeping inside.

Let's hear your suggestions!

3. May 2, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Is the Leer 122 the tallest canopy option available?

leer122.jpg

4. May 8, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    singletracksteve

singletracksteve Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    I just picked up an SR5 Access in Cement this week with the v6 auto (wife made me). Nice truck you have there montypower. I'm an avid mtb'r and paddleboard'r too and will be interested in what you come up with. Looking at the Yakima Overhaul HD currently @ my local REI store due to the height you can get out of it.

5. May 8, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Very nice! It's such a nice color.
    I've done bed racks on several trucks. They get spendy fast (mounts and attachments) and your gear is fully exposed (on display) which is less good. But they look awesome! Our simple bike fork mounts seem to work well enough for now. But we do plan to do a canopy and will revise the mtb mounts at that point.

Have fun with your new truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top