1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Tacomas: Which configuration has the smoothest, most car like on pavement ride?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by verlaryder, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Feb 20, 2021 at 3:27 AM
    Tacotoast

Tacotoast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Interior LEDs, OEM bedmat & divider, BakFlip MX4, Pro wheels. TRD skid, smoked tails.
    Rebound dampning has absolutely nothing to do with ride stiffness.

2. Feb 20, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    Skidog1

Skidog1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD 4x4 Sport DCLB
    I have not driven another 3rd generation but the longest wheelbase (double cab long bed) has to ride smoother.

3. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    "Stiffest"

WTF does that mean? Harsh? Firm?

See below.

Compression damping has everything to do with compliance. Under dampened rebound can have a jarring feeling on moderate to big bumps and over dampened rebound can make it feel plush, all else the same, but it might pack up on repeated bumps.

The sport suspension rides most car like IMO. It has the support of a modern sedan and enough compliance to take all but the biggest hits/potholes without being upset. The rear is soft enough to follow the front feel for the most part, but don't expect to load up the bed with 500+lbs without some serious sagging on the stock leafs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  4. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Pdxbill

Pdxbill Member

Member:
    Mt Hood, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    My TRD OR is very truck like (bouncy). Before this I owned a Chevy Colorado. That drove very car-like and their v6 and 8 spd auto worked very nice together. The Toyota auto even with the software update is not as good. I'd recommend you try out everything in this category.

5. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    ALI3N_123

ALI3N_123 ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McAllen, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Rusty Tokyo Teriyaki Drifter
    I’m no engineer but the best way I could describe an Off Road suspension is throwing yourself on bouncy spring mattress while the Sport is like throwing yourself at a memory foam Tempurpedic mattress. Imo, that dampened Sport suspension is more enjoyable than the bouncy Off Road suspension.

KWyle, rev25sharp and verlaryder [OP] like this.
  6. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    Taco1701

Taco1701 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    I don’t think any Tacoma has a car-like ride. The TRD Off Road has the softest suspension and does a good job of soaking up bumps, but it has more body roll and the nose dive when braking was annoying. The TRD Sport has a firm ride and you feel more of the bumps, but it handles much better to me. Less body roll and nose dive. The SR5 and Limited were somewhere in between the TRD models. I haven’t driven a TRD Pro, so can’t comment on that one. Still, I don’t think any of them would fit the definition of car-like. Definitely test drive them all to see if you like any of them.

7. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    slidemx5

slidemx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSB OR Manual!
    I had an E-class Mercedes wagon with factory air suspension before the taco. The taco, while louder, rides 80% as comfortably. I'm really happy with it. I've got the DCSB OR

shakerhood likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    maxmk8

maxmk8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pro rides best. Due to best shocks And smallest diameter wheels of the bunch.

9. Feb 20, 2021 at 9:46 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I think the differences between any model Tacoma are very slight, compared to any late model car of similar price unless it’s a stiffly-sprung performance car.

10. Feb 20, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    Dryfly24

Dryfly24 He’s a leprechaun. He tells me to burn things.

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I'm looking to buy a 2021 Toyota car that offers the roughest, most truck like on-pavement highway ride.

I’m planning on lots of off road driving...

KWyle, Crobran, StayinStock and 7 others like this.
  11. Feb 20, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    methodtim

methodtim I eat a lot of salsa

Member:
    First Name:
    Umm... really?
    California
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Aftermarket radio knobs, woot!
    Y'all like a cult in here. What's wrong with wanting a better, more car-like ride from a truck but still wanting/needing a truck? This is exactly my use-case and I've been (quietly, because I don't need anyone screeching at me why did I spend my money the way I did, wah wah) searching for the right suspension kit to make the on-road ride more compliant while not messing up off-road and cargo capabilities (I'm set on digressive Icon stage 2 or 3, FWIW).

There's nothing wrong with wanting comfort and capability. And there's nothing wrong with saying the Tacoma drives like a floundering trout, because it's the truth. It does nothing to take away from my very positive feelings about the truck. Every time I drive it, I'm very happy. Every time I consider "should I move on", I'm like no, stupid, you love this truck. But that doesn't mean we have to sit there and accept that it drives like a drunk monkey.

12. Feb 20, 2021 at 10:15 AM
    Dryfly24

Dryfly24 He’s a leprechaun. He tells me to burn things.

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Drunk monkey ay? Hmmm, you might want to have to have your front end checked out by a professional....

OZ TRD likes this.
  13. Feb 20, 2021 at 10:17 AM
    methodtim

methodtim I eat a lot of salsa

Member:
    First Name:
    Umm... really?
    California
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Aftermarket radio knobs, woot!
    I may have been a bit hyperbolic. :) But you get my point.

14. Feb 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    Hooper89

Hooper89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport
    Offroad imho but you need to drive them for yourself.

SSTacomamama and shakerhood like this.
  15. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    Tacotoast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Interior LEDs, OEM bedmat & divider, BakFlip MX4, Pro wheels. TRD skid, smoked tails.
    Nver thought id have to define "stiff" for someone...

stiff
    adjective

\ ˈstif \
    Definition of stiff
    (Entry 1 of 4)

1a: not easily bent : RIGIDa stiff collar
    b: lacking in suppleness or flexibilitystiff muscles
    c: impeded in movement —used of a mechanisma truck's stiff suspension
    d: DRUNK sense 1a
    2a: FIRM, RESOLUTE
    b: STUBBORN, UNYIELDING
    c: PROUD
    d(1): marked by reserve or decorum
    (2): lacking in ease or grace : STILTED
    3: hard foughtstiff competition
    4a(1): exerting great forcea stiff wind
    (2): FORCEFUL, VIGOROUS
    b: POTENTpoured her a stiff drink
    5: of a dense or glutinous consistency : THICK
    6a: HARSH, SEVEREa stiff penalty
    b: ARDUOUS, RUGGEDstiff terrain
    7: not easily heeled over by an external force (such as the wind)a stiff ship

compression and rebound dampening are not the same thing, in fact they are absolutely opposite things.

No, an under dampened rebound does not create a jarring feeling over any bumps. Nor does an over dampened rebound make it feel plush. Yes it does play a role in packing up over multiple bumps.

I feel like you dont really understand dampening at all. "Dampening" is providing resistance to an external force. In other words it slows down the travel of your suspension as it moves up and down over bumps.

Rebound dapening is controlling the force of the springs uncompressing, ie how fast the spring is allowed to rebound after hitting a bump. Too little rebound dampening results in a bouncy ride, too much results in the suspension not being allowed to fully return to normal ride height and packing up of the suspension over multiple bumps.

Compression dampening is controlling the speed at which the force of the bump compresses the suspension up into the vehicle. Too little compression dampening can result in bottoming out your suspension and exaggerated body roll combined with soft enough spring rates. Too much compression dampening results in stiffness and little to no body roll making the vehicle feel very jarring and harsh.

Spring rate also contributes to how fast your suspension can be compressed as well but ultimately is responsible for setting the ride height of the vehicle. Too soft a spring and the weight of your vehicle compresses your suspension resulting in bottoming out and riding on the bump-stops. Too high a spring rate will max out your suspension travel not allowing it to sag providing extension into dips and also contributes to stiffness.

No this is absolutely false. To the best of my knowledge and research the sport and off-road use the same spring rates. They have the exact same payload capacity. Loading up the truck with 500lbs will result in the same amount of sag.

And no the sport does not ride more like a sedan. If anything the sport rides more harshly and stiff like a race car while the offroad rides more soft and floaty like a cadillac.

The difference between the sport and the offroad, is that the sports suspension is over dampened both in compression and rebound. It will feel more jarring over bumps and have less body roll and brake dive. The sport also has a thicker sway bar that makes off-center bumps harsher and reduces body roll by adding increased spring rate to the compressing side. This also reduces the suspensions ability to articulate.

The offroad suspension by contrast is under dampened and has a smaller sway bar resulting in a softer feel when hitting bumps because of less compression dampening but also less compliant and bouncy because of lower rebound dampening.

16. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    desmodue

desmodue Unsprung member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    OIP.jpg

17. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want the most car like ride it's going to be a basic bitch SR5 double cab long box.

18. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    GOTSAND?18

GOTSAND?18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tacoma trd off road 4x4 Manual
    stock
    I like the ride of my off-road it eats up the bumps pretty well a little bouncy at low speeds . It’s a truck . I drove the sport the suspension seemed a little stiff to my liking.

SSTacomamama likes this.
  19. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster knows nothing, yet an expert in everything.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    VF Tuned Desciple
    Some people will interpret this as a joke, but the OP should seriously consider this as an option.

StayinStock, CG256, Crossgolf and 3 others like this.
  20. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:58 PM
    Tacotoast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Can confirm, not a joke.

StayinStock and Rock Lobster like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top