1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 extended warranty packages.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Mikestill, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Aug 31, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    Skavdog

Skavdog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black SR
    I just bought a 22 SR yesterday and yeah, the pitch came on hot and heavy but said No to all the different packages (i think there were five or six different ones).

rcsez and BigEasy like this.
  2. Aug 31, 2022 at 12:45 PM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport Suffering from Severe Wallet Drain

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB (Sold)
    KDMax Pro 10.0, Form Lighting Tail Lights, and more
    Pulled the trigger with Troy from Greenfield Toyota/FD-Warranty on the 10 yr/100k miles Platinum plan. I'm sure some people won't agree, but it's basically $136/yr to have bumper to bumper protection for 10 years and let TFS assume that risk. That's worth it to me.

Tonyr56, BigEasy and PetePetePete like this.
  3. Aug 31, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    PetePetePete

PetePetePete Active Member

Member:

I have always been VERY against extended warranties because I see them as an insurance policy that you'll never collect on.

However, with my truck TRD PRO 2022, there are a ton of systems that I can mitigate any issues for a minimal amount of money.

In short: For the price that most dealers charge? No way - it's a rip-off. For the prices that the people post here are charging, it's a smart move IMHO.

4. Oct 5, 2022 at 7:04 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Jennifer doesn’t seem to be responsive. She sent me the initial list, then when I sent back my info for the credit card authorization, she’s gone silent. Sheesh

P51Mustang likes this.
  5. Oct 5, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    BigEasy

BigEasy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD/OR DCLB
    Nada
    Give her some time... It took me several messages over several days to get everything sorted with her... But it's pretty simple really in the end

6. Oct 5, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    BigEasy

BigEasy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD/OR DCLB
    Nada
    Wise words!

7. Oct 5, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    PetePetePete

PetePetePete Active Member

Member:
    She did right by me.

8. Oct 5, 2022 at 9:05 PM
    GoldCamper

GoldCamper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ACLB Lunar Rock
    They are masters at this game and it is a game.
    Finished a purchase today. The initial vehicle inspection, paperwork etc. drug on for way longer than necessary.
    Then they make you wait again much longer to close the deal. I believe that this is to wear you down and butter you up for the "nice/friendly" yet super aggressive finance/warranty closer person. This is where the bad car salesman stereotype become REAL. At this point, you are more likely to give in and do whatever is necessary to get out of there... and they know this.
    Be prepared!
    Seriously, do your homework before hand and know what if anything you would like warranty wise before you go in there.

These warranties are also "negotiable" and they will pull the "I need to ask the blah blah blah supervisor if we can lower the price for you" though they already printed out the lowered price. I hate that sh!@

They got me on a windshield warranty. Though I think I am good with it.
    Supposedly a new Tacoma windshield with safetysense is quite pricy and requires dealer recalibration if replaced.
    I did not look this up ahead of time so it might be a total scam.

Anyway, I live in the mountains where they use gravel on the roads in the wintertime. In the last 10 years I replaced 3 windshields on my old truck and each one I ran for at least a year or more with pretty bad cracks in it.

Cheers

9. Oct 5, 2022 at 9:40 PM
    AZYotes

AZYotes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    '20 TRD Sport Previous - '14 Prerunner Access Cab
    Took her a few days to charge my card as well. I think they are backed up. Must have a bunch being processed. I sent her a message saying it hadn't gone through yet and she processed it later that day.

P51Mustang likes this.
  10. Oct 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM
    DVR

DVR Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Pro
    Jennifer was very responsive when I purchased a few months ago. I went with 7yr/125k and it was priced like some of the quotes in this thread. She asked me not to post #'s online so I will respect that.

When I bought my 21 DCSB TRD OR I refused to even enter to F&I office (always do).
    Don't trade and don't finance. So, I told them to bring the paperwork to one of the tables in the showroom, I would sign and write check. Maybe took 25min tops from entering the dealership to driving off.

What most people don't realize is the F&I guy/gal is really a salesman, in fact the highest paid salesman in the organization.

BigEasy likes this.
  11. Oct 5, 2022 at 11:46 PM
    FL_TRD Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    Don't know about the Taco but I can verify that for my wife's Prius. She took a stone hit on I-95 that put a crack in it that ran the entire length of the windshield. Replacement with OEM glass was just under $1,200 including going back to the dealer for recalibration once the glass shop had the windshield in (they took it to the dealer). That said, our auto insurance covered 100% of the cost.

BigEasy likes this.
  12. Oct 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM
    MavericksTaco

MavericksTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB
    Mobtown skids, ARB diff breather, pop-n-lock, sabellco tailgate lock, ARB 2” med lift kit, BP fab recovery hook, bakflip mx4 tonneau cover
    I bought the extended warranty on my 2017. Just wasted money, should have listened to my gut, oh well. Its all paid for now.

13. Oct 15, 2022 at 10:13 PM
    cxmoney

cxmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Wind Chill Sport
    bought my taco 9/23. ended up paying for a $0 deductible full bumper to bumper warranty 10 year/150k miles for $2,000. Hoping i didnt get screwed over too much, but the peace of mind is nice to have since it is a daily driven truck and ill hit 150k miles before 10 years.

BigEasy likes this.
  14. Oct 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM
    kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    LR 2022 Tacoma TRD OR
    RCI Skids
    There is no 10yr/150k Toyota-backed warranty if I’m not mistaken. Means that the mileage is different or it’s a 3rd party warranty.

15. Oct 15, 2022 at 11:01 PM
    cxmoney

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Wind Chill Sport
    im in the south so I guess it’s a JMA warranty

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  16. Oct 16, 2022 at 4:28 AM
    FL_TRD Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yea if you are in the SE Toyota Distributors territory and a Toyota dealer sold it to you it's a JM&A warranty which is SETD's warranty company. I was able to get a Toyota backed warranty by buying from an out of state dealership. Got a 10/100k mile warranty (I drive about 7k miles a year) for $1,360.

BigEasy likes this.
  17. Oct 16, 2022 at 5:37 AM
    Soonr1

Soonr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green TRD Off Road
    I know a lot of times extended warranties are a waste of money but if you get a well priced warranty through Jennifer it’s worth it. It’s peace of mind, especially, if you financed your vehicle and drive a lot. Nothing worse than still owing thousands of dollars on a vehicle and having to shell out money on a major repair. Just the tech stuff alone makes it worth it. I got a 5 year/125 warranty for like 800. I drive 25-30000 miles a year. I’ll pay my truck off and still have a little left on the warranty. To each his own but it was worth it for me. And if you change your mind you can always cancel and get the refund.

18. Oct 16, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    rcsez

rcsez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blue Tacoma TRD
    They do well. The F&I guy I dealt with buying my '22 was showing me pictures of his hobbies, and we had a lot of overlap, I know just how much money he's shelling out on all of it. I declined their coverages because they were insane on their prices. $1500 for gap coverage! My credit union offers it for $399 on new auto loans.

I asked this, got the same answer, but he added on "But you can't roll it into the loan if you do it later" Ok, but it's only $2K, I can easily save that up over the course of my factory warranty and tack it on later.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  19. Oct 16, 2022 at 6:36 AM
    OffCamberCurve

OffCamberCurve Well-Known Member

Member:
    tl;dr: I am not a proponent of extended warranties, declined all the permutations offered when I bought the Tacoma. However, my last car purchase, I had done the research and it seemed like a prudent and good idea. Turned out it was. Knowledge is a competitive advantage; knowing what you're buying is key.

I generally do not buy extended warranties on products, and definitely not on vehicles. That being said, when I bought my JGC I had done a bunch of research (I bought it a couple years old, but very low mileage) and learned it had two main failure modes: MCU and the air suspension compressor. Either of those were repairs starting at $1500 just for parts, and you were virtually guaranteed to lose at least one of each. Zeigler and one other big CJD dealership are (or were) the go-to discounters for MOPAR warranties, so I called them both. The other one, whose name escapes me, was slightly cheaper than Zeigler. I bought the Lifetime/Unlimited mileage/$100 deductible everything-but-normal-wear-items warranty for $1800, cash. My wife thought I had lost my mind.

The first year, the MCU went. Replaced; paid $100 deductible on a nearly $2000 service bill. The second time the MCU went, about a year later, CJD had succumbed to pressure and put out a TSB for free replacement, so I didn't have to pay anything, nor use the warranty.

Shortly after the second MCU was replaced, the air suspension compressor failed. Replaced, $100 deductible on a $1500+ bill. Getting close to break even, yeah? Two months later, air suspension was shot again. Second compressor replaced, no deductible because you only pay it the first time, per the contract. Now we're in good shape.

Just about six months after that, the air suspension failed again. This time the dealership replaced the compressor (twice, first one failed out of the box), the compressor control module, the air tank, and all of the air lines. Basically everything but the actual bags at each corner of the car. No deductible, and I was told the bill was over $5000. It hasn't failed since (knock on wood).

A couple of years later, the passenger side heated seat quit working. They wanted me to pay $1500 to replace it. I pointed to my warranty. They suddenly discovered both front seats had failed and needed to be replaced, but it would only be $100 deductible. This is about when the dealership realized I had a warranty that covered everything but oil, tires, brakes, wipers, etc. Although, they have such high turnover, they eventually forgot again.

About a year later, the right rear power window switch failed. Dealership said it's integrated in to the door panel, so the whole thing has to be replaced. They wanted me to pay something just under $1000, IIRC. I pointed to my warranty. $100 deductible paid.

Rear wiper motor seized. This is also somewhat common on JGCs because they don't seal where the alloy stem comes through the window. Or at least don't seal it well enough. $500 replacement, $100 deductible paid after much patient explaining to the new Service Manager lady that I do in fact have a valid warranty even if MOPAR stopped offering them five years ago. I wonder why they don't offer it any more?

In the process of replacing the failed rear wiper motor, the dealership mechanic scraped the lowest defroster line off the window, right where it goes around the wiper motor cover. Dealership tried to tell me it was like that when it came in. Coincidentally, I had pictures of the back of the Jeep (not because of any foresight) showing it had not been. They asked me if I would be OK submitting it to MOPAR under warranty as "failed defroster" or whatever. Told them I don't care, I just want it like it was when I brought it in. They waived my $100 deductible for some reason, but I got a brand new OEM window (can't just replace the defroster line, right?).

Then the brakes started doing funky things. I paid out of pocket for pads, rotors, bleed. They were still funky. Turned out the insides of the caliper pistons on two of them were corroded. Had to argue with the Service Manager lady about whether or not this is a "wear item." MOPAR approved the warranty fix. Not sure what four calipers would have cost me, plus labor to do it all again, but they waived my deductible. Oh, and after MOPAR said they'd cover it, they also "noticed" that the rotor backing plates were completely rusted through and barely hanging on, so those had to be replaced, too. I didn't pay for those. Odd they didn't "notice" that when they did the brake job, though, eh?

Then the tilt/telescope/tilt-away-for-your-comfort steering wheel decided to lock itself in the fully up position. Dealership told me MOPAR doesn't make that part any more, can't replace it, so have to live with it. Oh, then helpfully suggested I hit a scrap yard, find a wrecked one and pay them to swap it out. I found the new OEM part at several other dealerships by searching online, called the dealership owner and explained the situation. An hour later the Service Manager called to schedule my replacement steering column (the tilt/telescope motors are integral to the column and not replaceable individually).

There have been other miscellaneous parts that have failed and been replaced under warranty. I'm pretty sure the master cylinder went once, and I think the power steering boost/pump, too. Last time I added everything up, I figured MOPAR had covered somewhere between $18-20k worth of repairs and I had paid out somewhere around $3000 between the initial warranty cost and various deductible charges. For some reason, the dealership sometimes either actively waives it or forgets to charge me. It's been inconsistent, but I don't complain about it.

The dealership owner has asked me a couple of times why I don't just trade in or sell the JGC. I point to my warranty. Buddy, MOPAR is going to keep that car running a long, long time.

When I bought this Tacoma, the dealership put the hard sell on maybe seven or eight different warranty permutations. Declined it all. Even asked the same question someone else posted a page or two back, "Is Toyota quality so bad now that an extended warranty is needed? Maybe I shouldn't sign the title paperwork and keep on looking for something more reliable..." The guy smiled and said, "No, no...your good!"

20. Oct 16, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    cxmoney

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Wind Chill Sport
    shoot, so the JMA warranty isn’t worth it? I still have time to cancel and get my $2,000 back I think

Products Discussed in

To Top