1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Trail Edition Owners Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by EmollientFoil, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM
    EmollientFoil

EmollientFoil [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Army Green SR5 Trail Special Edition
    I guarantee you will not come across many who have shopped as hard as I have. I talked to 13 dealers across 2 states. I came across 4 who would sell at MSRP (everyone else was market adjusting via dealer packages or straight cash, 1-6k) and have sat through over a month of allocations. The only things that aren't SR5 2wd's that have come through are my Trail, and a TRD OR. I only wanted Army Green btw.

The OR Dealer didn't want to remove the port options (talking side steps, pain protection, etc.) which totaled over 1500. My Trail dealer agreed to. These are the only 2 trucks that met my criteria across over a dozen dealers over a month of waiting. My Trail was 2k cheaper than the OR (Trail dealer offered more value in mandatory dealer package (seat+paint protectant) plus free tint/mats, OR dealer only 695 for mandatory tint).

So, for me, I did shop for deals, I actually shaved off 2k off the truck via negotiation in an MSRP+ market.

I personally believe the TRD OR to be the single best value Tacoma for either driving Stock, or Modding. It's an amazing platform (I also just saw your truck, I love it! Looks dope).

However, for me, I didn't want to modify anything myself, I've been there done that with my last car, just want something factory this time. I ran a pros/cons of Trail vs. OR, assigned a rough $ amount to each part that came on the Trail, and it made sense for me in my particular scenario of choosing between these 2 specific truck in my story. This will not everyone's case. I cannot explain why every Trail owner chooses a more exepnsive trail over a comparably priced OR, this was not my situation.

I'd imagine some, like BSS, love the wheels, tires, exclusive seating, factory lift, etc. (which I do too) and even if you could do some wheelin' and dealin' to buy some of that stuff and install it yourself, not everyone wants to. And paying a premium to have someone install it from the factory, where they have to replace it if it breaks, is worth it for a lot.

BrainSoSmoof likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:27 AM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think Toyota could have done a better job. They are too close in price. I think this actually is a problem with the SR5 as a whole - if you notice, DCSB Auto barebones SR5 4x4 vs OR 4x4 are only $2k price difference! That's stupid! Assuming you could find an OR, why would you not get it when it comes down to only a few bucks a month (assuming you can afford it). They should be at least 3k apart.

I did the math on the options and it made sense to me over an SR5 4x4 DCSB:

$3765 Trail Edition
    • Bronze Wheels + A/T Tires - would have wanted to upgrade anyways, would have cost let's say $750 to do myself (sell old ones for 600-800, order new ones)
    • Grille - would have missed out because don't want to risk modding a major safety component area ($200 I think aftermarket)
    • Lift - Didn't want to do it under warranty, but probably would have been $500 let's say
    • Blackout Badging (let's say $30 off Amazon, but technically a $399 from Toyota)
    • Floor Liners - $200
    • Locker - I don't know but it's worth a lot and never would do an aftermarket one for my purposes ($750?)
    • Bed Storage - not everyone's cup of tea but I bet they're $750 msrp at least
    • 120V Outlet - let's say $300 (comes on OR)
    • Skid Plate - $200 (comes on OR)

And you lose MTS, Bilsteins, Crawl Control, Smart Key, Qi Charger, Inclinometer. But you gain all above, for essentially $1765. For some, that's more of an option set they want. I personally don't care about any of that stuff. The only thing I'm missing is the option to pay more for LED headlights.

I have genuinely found this model lineup confusing and agree with the weird pricing, and so I've tried to do some research, listening to the pulse on the forums of why people buy the trail.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  3. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    BrainSoSmoof

BrainSoSmoof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 Trail Edition Lunar Rock
    Urd Spec-U exhaust w/blackwidow muffler
    2k will buy you wheels and tires only, especially in this market. The tires alone on tire rack are $266.99/ea. Another $800-1k for wheels, then mounting and balancing.

Although most seem to hate it, there is value in the bed boxes. Also there is 120v bed power, i don't know if the OR has that or not. Then you'd have to add $200 for the black out badging and all weather floor mats that come with the TE package.

I get that YOU dont see value in the trail edition. But i like it, and i do see value in it. It has half the upgrades I was already planning to make, grille,wheels,locker, badging, only downside i saw was the headlights.

4. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OR has 120v.

5. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    BrainSoSmoof

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Here is the options description for the trail editionIMG_20220114_114615.jpg

Also its not about "shopping around" for a better deal, i found what i want, a lunar rock trail edition at msrp. Its as simple as that

Lars1962 and EmollientFoil[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:54 AM
    RTweet

RTweet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    damn that's more than I paid for my 2021 MT pro!

Montana_Actual likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    I agree it's confusing. That's what a lot of manufactures are doing now with the market. It's not just limited to vehicles either. TBH, I like the model... I would just rather have it my own for that price. I guess I can understand your desire here. I'll play nice ;)

The LED headlights are really nice though. I mean, really really nice. That is something I had to have. The only compromises I made were the leather and moonroof, which I believe come with the JBL stuff but I am doing an audio upgrade anyways. I almost got the TRD lift, or whatever lift comes on the pro with red springs and UCA's etc etc... Is that the one that comes on the trail edition? Or is it just the bilsteins?

The Qi charge is a personal thing. I thought it was cool, but never use it. I'd trade someone for some storage room lol.

Make sure that blackout package comes with the exhaust tip too. When I got mine I complained it didn't and they threw one on for free.

Bed storage is neat. I ended up getting some cheaper swing boxes that will do the trick and can be removed if need be. I guess the amount of storage in the bed boxes wasn't really what it should be, or I would have added that too. Also I am curious what bed liner (floor mat) fits with those. Does the standard OEM one fit?

8. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Cool man, when you get it post some pics and what not here. Sorry if I came off strong on ya! It's your truck, enjoy it!

9. Jan 15, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    BrainSoSmoof

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    No worries, I'll definitely post pics when i get it, hopefully fixing that front end up quickly with a lilb's bumper and led headlights!

EmollientFoil[OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 15, 2022 at 12:13 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    The Off Road and Trail Edition come with the same tires, so you would only need a different set of wheels plus you could sell the Off Road wheels.

11. Jan 15, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:

haha, I am glad we can have a spirited yet respectful discussion! We all clearly love Tacomas!! I totally see that, for 40+k it should be exactly how you want it.

Dude, I totally feel you. The LEDs are so nice. I have no doubt that is the one thing I will miss dearly...and most other future owners will say the same. However, I am upgrading from driving an old family car...2012 Mini with horrible halogens, not even projectors. So if you can believe it, I am upgrading with getting the projectors. However, I had to remember the LEDs aren't a free upgrade on the OR, you still have to pay $485 more for them (worth every penny)

You're not gonna like this, but the Trail Lift actually utilizes the stock SR5 shocks...I thought that was dumb, but after seeing press videos, it seems plenty capable.

Qi charger is stupid I think, I have heard it charges slow, it's pointless because I am always plugged into carplay (makes sense with wireless carplay), and my new iPhone has a big camera bump so I couldn't even get it to sit flat and charge in the one I test drove.

I think technically it's just blackout badges, not the full blackout package. I'll see what I can do though.

Yeah the bed boxes I think could have had better design. They seem poorly storage-optimized. They are actually removable though. The OEM Bed Mat doesn't fit, I am pretty sure.

12. Jan 15, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    Samuel

Samuel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road, 2024 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Nothing major yet.
    265/75r16 Falken Wildpeaks are $208 - x4 = $832

16x8 method 703 in bronze (since you seem to like bronze) are $308.83 = $1,235.32

$2,067.32

The off-road wheels with tires can easily sell for $700 so that’s what I’m going with

$1,367.32

TRD Pro grill (oem) - about $534

$1,901.32

+ method lug nuts (oem ones don’t work on aftermarket wheels) $46.64

$1,947.96
    —————

13. Jan 15, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    BrainSoSmoof

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I could do that, or i could buy one that comes with all that factory, and then get the headlights for $1400.

Besides MTS and smart key (which i do not care about) what am i really missing? A lift that I'm going to change regardless of trim level?

I understand that its an sr5 with an appearance package and a locker, for a comparable price to the off road. But it has more of what i want (except the headlights)and less of what i dont from factory...

14. Jan 15, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think at the end of the day different people assign different levels of intrinsic value to factory installed or not. Some people want a blank canvas and don't care about modifying a lot, some people want it as close to what they want from the factory like BSS here. In my case, I won't even be adding another lift or headlights or anything. But having things come exactly how you want it, warrantied, professionally installed counts for something. For some, modding is a journey. Others just want to be at the destination day 1.

I keep stressing this, but the Tacoma is also the best selling midsize pickup. You can most likely come across dozens off ORs a day. Some people probably want something like this that's a special edition because it's different. It feels special. You can make a way faster Mustang with some mods, but the GT500 will undoubtedly feel more special. Just a thought.

I am more neutral here, just trying to expand on both sides. Ultimately we have 2 similarly priced options that offer different things for different people. This is a GOOD problem to have from Toyota.

BrainSoSmoof[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'd assume that MSRP probably went up, and if you have a '21, the market wasn't as bad then

16. Jan 16, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    RTweet

RTweet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Pro, MT
    Haha, cute. Took me 6 months to get, and in Sept. (so pretty late into the year). MTs are cheaper, despite getting the invaluable sunglasses holder.

17. Jan 16, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I’m confused, wasn’t the spec sheet you were referencing the one that guy posted, a manual TRD Pro? It wasn’t my truck or my spec sheet, I was more commenting that if the spec sheet posted was a manual transmission TRD Pro for MSRP, wouldn’t the only reason it would be more expensive due to year over a year price increases?

18. Jan 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Since we’ve been having a good conversation about the differences of a trail edition versus an OR, another thing that brings up is the interior. I feel like this gets overlooked a lot, but the interiors are completely different and for some people that may make a difference.

for instance, for me I actually prefer the trail edition interior. It’s black with a subdued pattern and tan stitching. I don’t hate the OR interior, but the contrasting cement paneling on the seats paired with that bold pattern isn’t my favorite. I was definitely going to have to learn to live with it, so that’s definitely something some may consider.

I know this is completely subjective, but I personally think the trail interior looks better. In terms of some of the comments about how modifications can be made, I don’t think most people typically take on an upholstery job.

Trail
    upload_2022-1-16_15-6-25.jpg

OR
    upload_2022-1-16_15-7-13.jpg

19. Jan 16, 2022 at 1:25 PM
    kal718

kal718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Trail Edition, Army Green
    Is the Trail interior really black, though? Some of the pictures really make it look gray. I’m hoping it’s going to be black because I don’t like the gray all that much.

20. Jan 16, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yes, description and videos confirm it’s black. From all the YouTube previews I’ve watched. That or super dark charcoal if not.

Products Discussed in

To Top