1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Trail Edition Owners Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by EmollientFoil, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 20, 2022 at 9:01 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    The Off Road Base MSRP is $38,815
    Trail Edition Base MSRP is $40,635

Lt. Dangle likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2022 at 9:36 PM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully you wont have much longer to wait for your truck. Are you planning to upgrade the tires at all as it looks like it comes with the same ones as the Off Road and Pro? Those tires were ok but I ended up selling them and going with the Falken Wildpeaks which were a nice upgrade.

3. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:35 AM
    EmollientFoil

EmollientFoil [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Army Green SR5 Trail Special Edition
    I think I agree with shaker that in a perfect world where you can find whatever spec you want, and buy it, an OR can be a better price and net you LED headlights.

However at least in my region no OR is coming in below a Trail in price. Also, important to note that he didn’t like the OR interior and preferred the wheels/grille on the Trail.

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:38 AM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, me too!

I wasn’t planning on it as if I’m honest with myself it’s probably the appropriate tire for me for right now and I don’t want to spend more money after just buying a new truck.

They’re actually a different tire than what has been coming on the off road tacomas for a few years now. It has a more aggressive sidewall and a different model name. So we will see how it is.

I’ve heard good things about the WildPeaks.

5. Jan 21, 2022 at 7:12 AM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Be careful hanging out on this site if you are not wanting to spend any extra money on your Truck, lol. The Off Road and Pro always shared the same Goodyear Kevlar AT and it's looking the the new TE is also, but for 2022 it appears as they changed the sidewall slightly.

6. Jan 21, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Totally true lol!

And yeah it appears to be the same tire with updated sidewall and they changed the model name.

7. Jan 21, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yep they did, the tread stayed the same and they dressed up the sidewall. Looking forward to seeing pics of the truck after you get it.

8. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I still don't get it lol.

NightFly and shakerhood[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    G_Weebs

G_Weebs Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition
    I love the TE, mine should be coming in February.

Deposit placed at dealer December 23
    Allocation confirmed January 5
    Scheduled build February 7

EmollientFoil[OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Get what?

11. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Very nice! So probably super late February delivery. That’s a long lag on the allocation confirmation to build time window. Weird. I have no data to base that off of but mine was built 4 days after allocation.

Congrats on securing one, what color?

12. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    The pricing I quoted. Pretty obvious IMO.

shakerhood likes this.
  13. Jan 23, 2022 at 5:44 AM
    G_Weebs

G_Weebs Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition

Thanks! I went with lunar rock. Had a hard time deciding between that and army green. The bronze looks so good with both colors IMO.

14. Jan 23, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think I can assume what you’re getting at which is the common argument that the OR is cheaper than the Trail.

I think it’s important to note that when comparing those two numbers, we remember two important points.

1. In a perfect world, you could option and purchase any configuration of Tacoma you want. And choose exactly what comes on them from port accessories too. But this is not the world we live in. Toyota really doesn’t produce barebones OR trucks. Just look around. To find one without LED headlights or the technology package at a minimum is rare. And in my opinion, if you’re optioning an OR without the headlights you’re missing one of the best reasons to get an OR: having access to those. At least in my region, the cheapest MSRP for off roads, once they’ve put on the port accessories, was over 42k easily. So I think this argument makes sense in a theoretical sense, but I don’t think it is as strong in reality.

2. If we are to assume we could find a truly zero option OR, yes, it’s technically a better price. But, we have to take into account what the buyer’s priorities are. Because for the ~$1800 increase of the Trail, you receive:
    unique interior, 1.1/.5 lift, bronze wheels, A/T tires, heritage grille, bed boxes, rear locker, access to AG/LR paint

For many, giving up MTS/CC, Smart Key, Qi Charger, in trade for all that, is a worthwhile trade.
    Not intending to start an argument, just providing facts and opinions I’ve gathered through talking to many people on the two trail threads. I find it fascinating how the pricing can get so close so I wanted to investigate.

however what’s happening in reality, at least in my region, is exactly what happened when I reserved my trail. The only other off-road that became available actually ended up being $2000 more than my Trail due to port accessories and the dealership not offering me additional value like free tent and WeatherTech mats. so YMMV on pricing. Trails keep being consistently cheaper in what I’m seeing.

It ultimately just comes down to what you want. Most people I talk to are happy to give up those features on the off-road to gain everything else listed. I’m just happy Toyota gives us multiple options!

idahoan22 and G_Weebs like this.
  15. Jan 23, 2022 at 12:03 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion or anything. I'm just saying I don't get the pricing structure. There are several OR's in my area listed as low as 38.X K and even an OR with Tech and LED is still $1200 cheaper than the TE. If I were buying, it would be an easy choice for ME. The cheapest TE I can see is 41.xK or so.

You do you and that's cool with me, I just disagree with Toyota and it's pricing. Realistically they should be flipped IMO, and what is going to happen is the base OR will leap frog the TE pricing at some point.

shakerhood likes this.
  16. Jan 23, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    idahoan22

idahoan22 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Tacoma Trail Edition
    I would say that the market has already has made this adjustment in my area. My first choice was OR but only a TE was available. Now I’ve noticed that the dealer seems to be tacking on extra for the OR because it’s in higher demand.

Im paying less for my TE than any OR I can find available. So Toyota’s pricing is weird but market has corrected the problem. No biggie.

EmollientFoil[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 23, 2022 at 12:53 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    Not the case within 500 mi. of my house.

Yet...

EmollientFoil[OP] and shakerhood like this.
  18. Jan 23, 2022 at 1:07 PM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I noticed you mentioned the tires again but it appears the TE has the same Goodyear's that are on the Off Road and Pro, think they renamed them Territories for 2022.

19. Jan 23, 2022 at 2:15 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Correct. I mentioned them again because it’s important to note that they are an upgrade over the stock SR5 passenger tire. This is a package on the SR5 trim so it is a tire upgrade.

20. Jan 23, 2022 at 2:21 PM
    EmollientFoil

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My response would be - can you really waltz in and buy all these ORs in your region for MSRP, today? If so, then the market has calmed down in your area and that’s awesome and you should buy one of those! But that’s not the case in my region. There are no trucks here. If they do happen to make it to dealer lots it’s because they’re 2-6k market adjusted.

To me it’s just another variation of the Tacoma and it fits some people well. But like the comment from above, the market totally adjusts at least in my region for the OR. It’s always more expensive.

While I am getting a trail I actually am just neutral here. I originally wanted an OR, this is what came available first for cheaper so I took it. I’m happy with what the package offers vs what I lose from the OR.

I think the crux of the issue is the SR5 is too expensive to start. It’s only 2k less than an OR. In base form, it’s a no brainer to buy an OR. The SR5 should be at least 3k cheaper. Because then you have the sport wedged in there too! The Trail just makes things extra confusing.

I like your point about how the LED plus Tech OR is cheaper than a base trail. Yes assuming they don’t slap on a ton of dealer packages or port options on it, that was my ideal configuration, one I would’ve jumped on in a heartbeat. But the fact of the matter is, that isn’t reality in my region. The one OR across a month I had access to near MSRP, had $1500 of port options on it. And $695 for tint. It was bloated pricing. And so I took the cheaper option.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top