1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$2400 to spend on bumpers!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cstorer, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Check my bumper out- I'm listed in the vendor section. :)

2. Sep 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    slick_711

slick_711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Avid light bar w/2x Hella 4000C, Bilstein 5100s, Demello sliders
    Sorry for the accident and congratulations on the windfall OP!

I was sitting in traffic the other day and thinking about how much I hate my chrome rear bumper. It occurred to me that if someone rear ends me I could use the insurance money to get one of the heavy duty plate rear bumpers. I'm not going to sit here hoping for an accident, but if a minor one happens I won't be too sad!

On an entirely unrelated note, I live in Grapevine, TX and my commute to work is all on the 26 between Colleyville and the Grapevine Mills mall area. :D

3. Sep 14, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    ARB, CBI with swing out tire carrier!

4. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    bigskytacoma

bigskytacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    montana
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Arb front bumper Cbi Rear bumper Ome suspension Shockworks sliders Firestone desination M/T
    hello. sorry to hear about the accidient. I have something you might be intrested in. I have a stock 2006 tacoma rear chrome with the factory hidden hitch and i also have a cbi wrap around rear powdered coated black. let me know if you intrested

5. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    cstorer

cstorer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double cab TRD off-road
    Thanks, and yeah I am interested in those Bigsky. Do you have pictures??

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    ARB FTMFW. I love their stuff. Works like OEM with your airbags too!

7. Sep 20, 2010 at 3:00 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    x2 on the ARB! I had a Westin brush guard and in May had a guy push it in at a gas station, literally hit it at about 5 mph but was enough to bend it in to the bumper. Insurance cut a check for $1900. I was able to purchase an ARB used on here for $800, used the rest for an OME complete lift. Only thing I had to do was get a new radiator upper tie bar because that's flimsy metal that bent down from where I had additional support brackerts to the Westin. Other than that, front end looks brand new and everything lines up straight. Have fun shopping.

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    all bumpers work with the airbags as they are inertia driven and not attached to the actual bumpers. ARB paid to have the testing done and it be certified....only difference that i am aware of.

9. Sep 20, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but:

Do you have an upgraded suspension? Because adding armored bumpers without upgrading the suspension WILL alter the handling characteristics of your vehicle for the worse. That extra weight is going to exacerbate understeer a bit, and the front end may ride lower as well.

If you haven't already gotten some springs with a higher spring rate in front, you should probably do so before adding a plate-steel bumper. The rear won't really need any upgrading - it's made for carrying loads anyway, so an extra ~75lbs of bumper is no big deal. Just remember to calculate what your new payload is.

10. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    You bastard.^^ :)

11. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    x10 on relentless fab front, i think they are way sleeker than the ARB and you can put on whatever you want on there. and i really like that rear on that red taco in the pick above. thats what i would get in the distant future

and x20 on the upgraded shocks and springs in the front cuz those bumpers can be heavy

12. Sep 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    bigskytacoma

bigskytacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    montana
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Arb front bumper Cbi Rear bumper Ome suspension Shockworks sliders Firestone desination M/T
    hey. here are some pics of the cbi wrap around. let me know if your intrested in this on or the factory one.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

13. Sep 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Well, I may be too late, but I would wait to cash that check. Check out the pics in my thread about my collision and see if you see anything that applies to your truck.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/115062-rear-collision-advice.html
    Standing 10 feet away from it you cant really see anything, but up close my frame has multiple bends in it. Better safe than sorry, all Im saying.

UPDATE-
    I got an estimate done on mine today and it came to $3084.24. That is including a R & I for my bed/frame because he said without inspection he wouldn't even guess at that. The frame repair will be in addition to that figure, so I am guessing a minimum of $5k in total.

14. Sep 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd place the order for my Shrockworks front bumper TODAY! As soon as I got off of the phone I'd call up Kevin's and buy the Armor Tech Off Road (ATO) rear bumper.

You'd have enough money for an awesome lift and a killer winch. Just my 2 cents.

Products Discussed in

To Top