1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255/75/17 Owner's Experience

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 09TRDSport4x4, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Apr 26, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 [OP] OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    So I've got a set of 255/75/17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires sitting in my basement waiting to be installed on my 2009 Tacoma sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. The reason for the delay is that I'm waiting until my lift kit (Bilstein 5100/OME 885 and Icon progressive AAL, also sitting in my basement) is installed before the tires go on and I didn't want to install the lift until after Toyota replaces my rusted and cracked leaf springs under the never ending recall... At any rate, I've been told it's going to be another 2-3 weeks before my local dealership has the new leaf springs in stock and then it will probably be an additional week or two after that before everything can be installed.

Anyway, I figured while I'm stuck waiting on Toyota, I'd try to get some real world experience about this tire size posted on TW. I did a fair amount of research and talked to a few people running this size tire on a second gen Tacoma before I purchased them but seeing as all the other threads I came across didn't go into much detail about everyday use, I wanted to start this thread for people who are running this tire size to share their experience for anyone else who might be looking to move up to a 32" tire and aren't afraid of running the slightly narrower 255 series tire.

If you're running a 255/75/17 tire on your Tacoma, feel free to post pictures and details about your setup (lift, wheels, etc.) and if you don't mind, take the time to give us your real world experience with the tires. How was your gas mileage impacted versus stock if at all? How were the tires in the snow/ice compared to the stock 265s or wider tires? How were the tires off road? Have you had to deal with any rubbing or any other fitment issues? Would you buy this size again? And feel free to add anything else you think will help others who might be considering this size tire. I know that for me personally, it came down to either 255/75/17 or 265/70/17 for my new tires and I chose the 255 over the 265 because I wanted the extra half inch of total diameter and I didn't mind using a slightly narrower tire seeing as we get a fair amount of ice/snow here in OH during the winter and I don't do any serious off roading where a wider tire would truly be necessary. I will be installing my tires on the stock 17x7.5" TRD Sport wheels and I will be sure to post pictures once everything is installed.

But for now, let's hear some other real world experience about this tire size!

2. Apr 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    JLaScala

JLaScala Super White is gonna treat you right.

Member:
    Snohomish Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 long bed crew cab.
    Secondary air filter removal, K&N drop in, Removed front mud flaps, Toyota all weather matts, skid plate, bug guard. Bilstein 5100's all around fronts set at 2.5", OME add a leaf, Goodyear Wrangler Authority 265/70/17, stubby 6.5" antenna, smoked tail lights, blacked out badges.
    I'm also interested in this because I am considering that size as well.

3. Apr 27, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    image.jpg I have Firestone Destination A/T 255/75/17. I had to trim the driver side Bushwackers fender flair. Mud flaps would probably have to come off. There is more clearance between the Bushwackers and tire than what clearance I had between the mud flaps and tire.

This is a picture of the bottom edge--near the drivers door--of the fender flare with 3 pieces of 1/4 inch wood strips wedged between the stock 265/65/17 tire and flare. There was hard rubbing with the 255/75/17 tires.

I didn't measure any difference in mpg with the taller tires. I might have lost a little acceleration due to the tires being 3% bigger, but that could be in my head. My speedometer is only 1% off, as measured using gps on my wife's iPhone. Odometer is 3% off. My traction is great, but that could be because of the Destination A/T.

4. Apr 27, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I have the exact tires you have in your basement. I love them. They seemed better in the snow than my 265 revo2's. You can't really tell they are skinny by looking at them. They don't even come close to rubbing and I have just 5100s set at .85" I don't notice a difference in mileage or performance.

5. Apr 27, 2016 at 9:37 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 [OP] OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    I really like to hear this considering the tires I have on my truck right now are 265/65/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 and I've been far from impressed with how they handle in the ice/snow. Also, the research I've done agrees with you that the new tires shouldn't look much skinnier. According to the specs listed on TireRack.com, the 265/65/17 Revo 2 has a tread width of 8.1 inches and the 255/75/17 DynaPro ATM has a tread width of 7.9 inches. I have a hard time believing that the human eye can notice a difference of .2 inches. Of course, that's just looking at the tread. The section width of the 265/65/17 Revo 2 is listed at 10.7 inches and for the 255/75/17 DynaPro ATM it's listed at 10 inches. Obviously the 265 will be wider if we're talking about at the widest point but by looking at the tread alone I'm not expecting to notice much difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience, do you happen have any pictures of your setup?

Products Discussed in

To Top