1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255/85/16 on a 3rd gen

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lovci, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    Montanabc

Montanabc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona red tacoma sr5 4x4
    Do you have lift on yours? Did you need to trim or cut for them not to rub?

2. Jul 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Yes I do have a lift, it's roughly an inch up front and 2 in the back. I had to torch and mold the front fender liner, and hammer the pinch weld on back flat but that did it for me. No cutting, just some shaping

3. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    2dogs_and_a_taco

2dogs_and_a_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green Taco
    Which tires are you getting? My stockers are half shot and I was eyeing up the km3’s but I’m nervous about the increased highway noise.

4. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I'd buy the Toyo MTs over KM3s all day every day.

BC Hunter likes this.
  5. Jul 10, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    2dogs_and_a_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green Taco
    How loud are they? I have to drive from Delaware to Idaho in August and I’m trying to keep my sanity on that trip :burnrubber:

6. Jul 10, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Skymaster

Skymaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atwater CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR, White DCSB
    Everyone has an opinion. To each their own. I’m rocking the KM3’s and pushed them through almost ALL the paces... would not go back to STMaxx. Daily driven and weekend abusedC5CA1DBC-1F57-4154-8893-A0700FD13BF4.jpg

Gmak621 and whatisraytaco like this.
  7. Jul 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    jcm

jcm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-OR 6M
    Why would you not go back to the st maxx? Have some kind of problem with them or just not aggressive enough?

Rj42 likes this.
  8. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I run DC Extreme Countries at the moment, so I can't say for sure. FWIW I don't recommend them, they're getting slippery in the rain at lower tread.

BFGs tend to run on the small side, and I've just never had the performance everyone else screams about. Toyos tend to be heavy but they also tend to be true sized and take the abuse.

9. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Maxx

Maxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maxx
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB AT
    Skinny 35’s, 5.29’s, KDMax, 6112’s, 14” Short Bodies, Deavers
    I run 255/85R16 Toyot MTs and I can confirm no rubbing at all with stock suspension and no cutting or hammering. Just put them on and make sure you alignment is good. I also stuffed a full size spare in the stock location but did move the tire hanger rearward about 1-2" to help keep the spare away from the rear diff. For an MT, they are pretty quiet. I will not run any other tire at this point s I've had bad luck with the stock Wranglers and other "Off-Road" tires.

BC Hunter likes this.
  10. Jul 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    t0nyvalenzuela

t0nyvalenzuela Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    Puck level
    Geolanders mud terrain. Pretty good when you get stuck in mud. Good for climbing rocks. Not too good when it’s down pouring and you are turning on a paved street.

254136F8-F131-4192-955F-14BB47FDC060.jpg

11. Jul 10, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    2dogs_and_a_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green Taco
    You guys are making me think Toyos might be the better option. I’ve run tons of BFG T/As and I’ve had the mud terrains on a Jeep in the early 2000s but they made an ungodly racket at highway speeds.

I don’t mind some tire noise but I’d like to be able to hear my radio or have a conversation at 70mph.

12. Jul 10, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Im running some continental A/TS at the moment and FWIW they outperform the KM3s in every measurable category. Less noise, better grip on road, wayyyy better grip in rain and snow, and still pretty good in mud. Haven't done anything in deep mud but I'd guess that's where they wouldn't perform quite as well

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  13. Jul 10, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    Skymaster

Member:
    Atwater CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR, White DCSB
    the coopers are great tires and if you don’t need the extra grip you get with a M/T tire, they are fine! They wear as fast as the KM3s however.

the old KM2’s are deffinetly louder than the newer model, however, the KM3’s are no more loud than the coopers STMaxx

also, I have a new 255/85/16 KM2 on a stock wheel stuffed in spare tire holder with NO issues. It’s tight, but it fits

jcm[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 10, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    jcm

jcm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-OR 6M
    Good info! I dont need a MT and am concerned with rain/snow performance. I sure like this size though, wish they had more options.

15. Jul 10, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    Skymaster

Member:
    Atwater CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR, White DCSB
    This entire statement is ridiculous. Take your continentals out in Death Valley for 5 days, run the Dusy Eirsham in the Sierra’s, through in some snow runs in the winter, then go bomb some dunes. Then come tell us “in every measurable category”. A M/T tire is not a highway optimized tread pattern. It’s not the lightest, the most quiet, or great for on MPG’s, but I would leave you behind anytime you left the pavement. Measure that.... if you want a road tire, get a Continental or stay with the stock good years

A/T tires are a great middle ground but you can not compare them to a mud terrain. It’s like comparing snow tires to racing tires. They are built for different purposes

BC Hunter likes this.
  16. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:39 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Whatever you say man. Not like I get anything out of lying to you guys, Ive owned KM3s, KM2s, the original Toyos, and the TerrainContact is the best overall tire by a long shot. Sorry its not the answer you wanted but I have driven in enough adverse conditions onroad and off to know what I am talking about. I live in Virginia Beach, VA so Death Valley is a bit inaccessible as are the Sierras and the dunes youre referencing. Ive been out on the OBX, in Uwharrie National Forest, and I never pass up a chance to go drifting around in the snow, most times rain is all I get but I make do with that too. Try to keep in mind that leaving someone behind has every bit as much to do with the driver as the equipment, and I am not worried about that part one bit :thumbsup:

Fast1 and Skymaster[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jul 27, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    Blue5001

Blue5001 Into the breech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blue
    OK
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    This is for anyone who may have an idea. I bought a set of KM3's 6K ago and am experiencing cupping. I just had the tires rotated and found that I had a shimmy at highway speeds.
    Some Data:
    17' TRD OR
    285/55/R16' KM3's (6K mi.)
    --Aligned, balanced after install -cupped tires rotated from the rear
    I drive like a granny with the extra weight, and don't corner hard or fast.
    300 lb camper
    tires always aired appropriately
    Daily, but working form home
    Camping every weekend, NF roads
    All mechanicals checked and maintained at dealership regularly

Sooooo, WTF? I went to Discount, they said it must be mechanical because it was so weird at 6K - they are willing to do something if I have the (a) mechanic once over it again.
    Toe and camber good, aligned, balanced (well, as best as possible w/the cupping)
    UCA and LCA's, suspension, in great shape.
    Not exceeding max load either

So again, WTF? Any one else experience this?

18. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Do you have stock suspension? Cupping is typically caused by tires bouncing excessively

19. Aug 7, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Blue5001

Blue5001 Into the breech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blue
    OK
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    @stevotivo12 yeah, I have to save for the suspension, Toyota said there wasn't any issue, but I can only go by their word. I was actually saving for the gears first since the added weight from both is killing my performance.

Do you think the suspension or know of anyone else who's had the same issue resolved by replacing the stock setup?

20. Aug 8, 2020 at 4:15 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    I can't say for sure, but it's certainly a possibility. I would take the truck to a place that's known for doing good alignments first though. That's the easiest part to mess up it seems and would definitely cause it. Its also cheaper than new suspension. I know you said you had it aligned, but truth be told I've had some terrible alignments done on my truck and lately I've just been doing it myself. I found this place called rent a lift, they have a Hunter alignment machine for public rental use, i can get my truck aligned perfectly in under an hour that way.
    For the record, a perfect alignment on these trucks is not technically the stock alignment. They like just a touch of camber (-.5-.7*) and as much caster as possible. Helps keep the outside tire fully planted while cornering instead of rolling up onto the sidewall.

4Wheel Parts once aligned my truck so awfully that they burned through my brand new set of tires in 2 weeks, and paid for it.

Blue5001[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top