1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255/85 R16 Owners Experience

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rsbmg, May 8, 2011.

?

255/85 R16's?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2011.
  1. My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions

58.3%
  2. Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did.

16.7%
  3. Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier

25.0%
  1. Apr 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    0" If you do the trimming necessary to stuff them with a lift. Your suspension still has the same travel with a lift as it does stock, your ride height is just higher. When you stuff the tire you are on the bump stop regardless of lift.

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Back to the siping question.... I just read somewhere (think it was here) that siping even down the center actually destroys the KM2s. A few people agreed. Do you? How many miles have you gotten out of siped KM2s?

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

ill be siping mine regardless of what people on the web say. so in year Ill check back

4. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    When are you getting it done? How much will it cost? (I followed that previous siping link to find a place near me, but haven't been back in my home state to follow up yet)

5. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I got mine done last winter. Seems to be wearing a bit faster but not too bad. And I did the whole tire, not just center.

It is worth it I find because the siping seems to be helping out in both summer and winter conditions for traction.

6. Apr 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    sydwayz04

sydwayz04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    stero system, couple subs, dwreck sliders, shackel flip, long travel air bags, h.i.d.'s, and some other cool stuff
    enigmaaron 0" ??? how much cutting would be involved with no lift

i know with a lift my ride hight would be higher and i relise u dont get more travel but with ride hight being higher i would think not as much cutting would be needed, is there anyone running this size with no lift or just a levaling kit ? i dont mind trimming a little but dont want to half to butcher her up either, thanks

7. Apr 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Enigmaaron

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    With a typical 3" or less lift you aren't changing how far up the tire can go. The limit is still the bump stops. With a lift the tire has farther to go before you hit the bump stops but it's still the same spot. If you never take your truck off the street and never hit a pothole or speed bump then sure, a lift will let you get away with less or no trimming. But the potential for rubbing is the same regardless of lift.

8. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    alot also depends on backspacing of your wheels and caster. Ive got 4" bs on my wheels and I have to chop my cab mounts and trim quite a bit on my fenders. that's with a lift. if i adjusted caster i might not need to trim as much, but it took me a few tries to get my alignment right and i dont care to mess it up.

9. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    sydwayz04

sydwayz04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    stero system, couple subs, dwreck sliders, shackel flip, long travel air bags, h.i.d.'s, and some other cool stuff
    gonna stick with the stock trd 16" wheels for now, might go different later down the road but for now i am saving my pennies for some kings and uca's and tires

10. Apr 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I got my KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs (4.5" BS) with 3" lift & stock UCAs. No trimming.
    They work better on 7" wheels anyway.
    [​IMG]

At full turn with the bottle jack under the LCA as high as it will go.
    [​IMG]

11. Apr 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Bought a tire groover and gonna do it myself. Gotta do it when I find time.

I don't run any weight and I like to hill climb in the snow. My main issue will be keeping up with fully locked SAS rigs with my open/lsd IFS Tacoma so Ill be siping them regardless. I did OK this winter but we didn't get jack for snow. even if we do get a ton of snow I have Duratracs on my 17's Ill just throw back on. My 255's are going to be for wheeling only (unless I'm to lazy to swap them out)

12. Apr 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    [​IMG]

I am rubbing on the plastic fender, I plan to trim it tonight.

edit:

I actually hit the UCAs... 4.0" back spacing seems about right. I am looking for some spacers now.

13. May 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    My thoughts after about 60 miles offroad and about 500 miles onroad
    255/85/16 KM2's

Pros:

• Great feel on road/highway (much better then Duratracs and quieter)

• Super good aggressive traction in strait line

• Small foot print for squeaking by obstacles

• Great 1" of lift/clearance for the money (only high sided once yesterday)

• Fit great and I haven't trimmed anything

Cons:

• Feel squirrely at 30+ mph on sandy trails (just something I need to get used to)

• Truck needs new gears now (I already drove fast/aggressive so I feel like a snail now)

• Horrible lateral slide on off camber sand trails and into ruts - this will be an issue when it snows or if I hit deep ruts
    • so far on 3 tanks of gas I lost 2mpg (new gears will correct and I need to get used to driving it so that will change)
    • OD is now a waste of a gear unless on flat highway
    • need to fix spedo so it's accurate

All in all I'm very happy. The only issue I was trying to correct with these tires was high-siding and the 1" added clearance is huge.

The only 'con' I'm not happy with and wasn't expecting is the lateral sliding. They slide into ruts like no other and also slide on hard pack sand which I was not expecting at all. Once I took a good look at the tread I understand why (meant to go forward not sideways), but this could be an issue on slippery wet rocks/clay/snow/sand/mud.

Some pics from last night on mellow trail where I slipped at least 6-10" sideways.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. May 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Enigmaaron

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    Repost :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with a little slide? Makes it more fun. :D

15. May 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

FU.... not going to type this crap twice for each thread. Copy and paste baby...copy and paste

Slide is not going to be fun when I slide out of my line and onto a pointy rock. Time will tell. Sipeing will help for sure.

16. May 6, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Oswego, are u V6 auto? or otherwise.......

17. May 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

V6 Auto with 373's

18. May 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    Enigmaaron

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    That's good to point out. I'm a V6 manual and don't feel a need to regear. Of course I'm also a lighter 1st gen, but in my research it seemed that the guys with manuals in general were less inclined to regear.

19. May 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

and that just made me remember I used 4L for the first time in a while due to the tires.... before I only used 4H unless I was in rocks at RC or hills like URE.

I'm also sure for most re-gearing is not needed, but I'm planning ahead for bigger an better things so when I finally have the cash for lockers gears will go in with them. Like I said I also drive fast so I notice it allot. I hit the gas at every light like it's the drag strip. Defensive drivers will be fine. Aggressive assholes will be unhappy.

hanahou7 likes this.
  20. May 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    what psi are you running them at? i found that 12psi is ideal on rocks/trails.....i ran them at 6psi at rausch the last trip and traction was insane never popped a bead an ran some decent trails dalton can confirm this....everyone was like ''your tires flat'' i just said noooo there perfect ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top