1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255/85 R16 Owners Experience

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rsbmg, May 8, 2011.

?

255/85 R16's?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2011.
  1. My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions

58.3%
  2. Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did.

16.7%
  3. Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier

25.0%
  1. XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Careful wheeling. Those tires are sticking out under them fenders pretty far. 2" spacers?

2. FMF

FMF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Bronze BeadLocks, Toyota roof rack, tube steps, Toyota skid plate, HIDs, Rockford Fosgate sounds, clazzio seat covers.
    What air pressure are most of y'all running with the KM2s?

3. BradyT88

BradyT88 Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Skinkwerks armor and a lot of other stuff!
    I rarely go below 20 psi, but I am also a lot heavier than most on here so I get a lot of squish at 20 psi. Any lower and I don't think the gains are worth the loss in clearance.

4. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    01 SUPERCHARGED TRD OR MANUAL 4x4 V6
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Got my new 255/85r16 and wheels put on. I'm running 35 psi right now and they ride pretty good. I read that 28-30 psi is better though. Had to trim the fender flare and pinch weld but that was expected.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had the KM2s siped. It's hard to see.
    [​IMG]

5. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.

Looking Good! I went with the Cooper 255/85R16 on Method doublestandard wheels. Need to get them on the truck and some pics in here! I went to Glamis sand dunes last week and kept the 265/75 Dura-trac tires on as thay are 10mm wider and hve plenty of tread. The 'tracs did well in that SOFT sand at 20 psi.

6. carcharias

carcharias No longer anonymous. D'oh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    SICK bumper. Looks amazing!

I tend to go around 38/40. I have a heavy beast. I go down to 12 in the fine beach sand out here, and usually from around 18-22 on rocky trails.
    I was shocked at how much mine chunk normally. Have you noticed anything with the siping?

7. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    I just put the tires on today, so I don't know if they will chunk or not.

8. carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Cool. Please let me know. And to clarify, chunking only happened to me while doing a bit of rocky offroading, not through normal driving.

9. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    My Cooper 255/85R16's rub on the front fender flares right at the lowest spot. This ieven in city driving like up driveways. Have to look up a few posts about trimming the flares.

Coming from 265/75R16 I barely notice the lack of power on the street. Have the V6 with 3.73 gears, thinking 4.56 gears might be too deep for freeway cruising and 4.10 better all around. ECGS suggested "4.10's not worth the effort, step up to 4.56 for a noticeable change". Locker and probably gears next Spring so plenty of time to decide. Doing on board air next so that I can air down for trails and re-inflate easily. So air for ARB locker (maybe two) will be ready to go.

Now to find those flare trim threads....

10. ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    I see the same thing.

11. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Me too. I have chunked my up pretty good, but I wheel in some nasty sharp rock so a little wheel spin does a number on the tires...

[​IMG]

12. carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^ Yeah. I never expected the tires to wear well compared to A/Ts or similar, but it was the chunking over rocks that got me. Still feel totally confident in the KM2's, though. I don't give two thoughts to the rocks my truck may wheel on. And the 255 means I have excellent maneuverability that still amazes me!!

13. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Yeah, mine have held up pretty well on the rocks. Only punctured one sidewall so far abusing them pretty hard. I had a stick go through a previous rock gash, so it was just bad luck really. haha

14. ckeene9

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Wheel spin is what kills them. Me being open/open right now and there's no way around a lot of wheel spin.

1397777_10151986398646514_1480711304_o.jpg

15. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Yep. Having both lockers helps some, but just involves me getting stuck more often. haha
    [​IMG]

16. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    I love the look of tall skinnies.
    [​IMG]

17. carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^Friggin' love the look!

Ha! Nice!

Truth. We began a rocky trail yesterday, and it was 2wd for a bit just to see how far until I had to switch. Turns out I had to switch to 4wd earlier so I didn't lose more tread. I still open/open every chance I have to get my skills up. :D

18. ckeene9

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    F/R lockers coming in two weeks. Interested to see and feel the differences.

19. carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Night and day. Enjoy!

20. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    I feel like that is just more wear and tear on the vehicle and I paid a lot of money for that front locker so I am going to use the damn thing! haha

To Top