1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

255 KM2 or 285 Duratrac?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by carcharias, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    carcharias

carcharias [OP] Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Can't decide anymore.

Wanted the 255/85/16 size, and the KM2 seems to be best but it's an M/T which I won't need a majority of the time.

I wanted Duratracs, but the only reasonable size offered for a lifted truck is 285/75/16. (Would I have to trim even though I'm getting a DO plate bumper?)

Just found out I'm staring at a 5k R/T road trip, and feel the KM2s are gonna get demolished.

Any thoughts? (I've read the uber thread on 255 and a number of other tire threads - this is more size/type related, I think)

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    285s....not a fan of the pizza cutter look

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I'm a big fan of practicality of 255's but like ColtsTRD, not a fan of the look.

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    If you don't have a 3" lift you won't fit 33's. I would pick the 285's out of those two though. I have 235/85/16's on mine and like them but with a 33 I don't know how that would look.

5. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    I got the cooper discoverer s/t 255/85 and I love them. The increase in traction is a lot better over 265/70 Revos. I have full OME suspension and get no scrubbing during full stuff/lock.

6. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    ffemt2987

ffemt2987 Shut up Hippie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Golden
    Vehicle:
    Cement 3rd gen that was supposed to stay stock
    Rack, sliders, softopper, tjm bumper, eibach temp suspension
    I JUST switched from a 255 interco trxus to a 285 duratrac. The Duratracs are quiet until 75mph and ride way smoother than the 255s. I have 16x9 rims so that made the 255 really rough. Plus, the Duratracs are said to be god past 40k miles. I did, however, have to cut a good amount off the cab mount and inner fender with the 285s. I am running eibach/5100 set up at 2.5". Hope this helps.

7. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Run yer stockers for the road trip.
    Don't you have 17" wheels ?

8. Dec 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Yeah, the look of the 255 is either love it or hate it. I dig both, actually, but just don't need an M/T.

The truck is being outfitted with a 2.5-3" King/Dakar lift very soon. I'll have a plate bumper, so if I went 285 I'm hoping I wouldn't have to cut/chop.

Duratracs smoother, eh, ff? While I come from the Flinstone-era Wrangler, I wouldn't mind a break from the jarring. This truck already rides like a Caddy. ;) So you HAD to cut even w/ the All-Pro bumper?

Whiskey, those Coopers do well off-road? (I see them nice and muddy in your pic)

Yeah, jflan, I'm thinking of just doing that provided the weird look of a lifted truck on stocks doesn't annoy me too badly. I have 16" rims.

This is great help, guys, thank you! Any more thoughts would be welcome!

9. Dec 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    Heck yeah, the coopers are a pretty aggressive AT. There are a lot of times I dont even use my 4wd anymore because of the better traction. (and I never air down) I have gotten it stuck once though since I put the Coopers on, but I also had mud coming in my door. side note: Im still getting 18.5 mpg on hwy doing 75mph. (V6)

10. Dec 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    What size are you running?

11. Dec 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
  12. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Crike! You said that in your earlier post... sorry, but thank you!

13. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I currently have 265 DTs and am looking at 255 KM2s for my next tire as well. My thoughts on DTs are mostly positive but I have found them rather noisy and vibey (yeah just made up a new word there.....) but I think this is mostly due to one single egg-shaped tire that refuses to balance out properly after 3 attempts.
    My personal debate on this issue is similar bc after several hours of threads including other sites I'm still unsure. I think what we all want is a tire that kicks ass off road, looks badass but doesn't sacrifice too much ride quality and economy. 255s have a narrower footprint which equates to possibly less drag and better mpgs but since they are typically only available in E, they are heavy as hell which can also kill mpgs. I totally believe the hype on cookie cutter tire performance offroad and for me with the proper wheel offset I think the stance and look of the 255 is killer. However cookie cutters tucked inside the wheel wells (ie stock wheels) does appear a bit lame. So for me if I can get the killer look of the KM in 255 that ride decent and weigh in similar to the 285 it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately this debate with a 265 comparison is still murky with this pea-brain so I'll be following this thread closely.

14. Dec 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yes you'll be trimming with 285 width, regardless of bumper. Most of the clearance issues are behind the tire, not in front of it.

KM2s hold up surprisingly well to road use. I've had mine on about about 14k now and they havetons of tread left, despite me also beating the shit out of them offroad. But you will lose mileage. And you will add noise. Inflate the shit out of them (~40 psi) for best results and worst ride.

255s would be less trouble all around, regardless of brand.

15. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Airun, I feel your pain. If Duratracs came in a 255 there would be no need for this thread. I don't want Toyos, and the only other thing is the Cooper, which don't look like much, but Whiskey makes them sound appealing. I heard spacers aren't good for off-roading, though.

Jandrews, how much do you drive on road? And, basically, why are 255's less trouble all around?

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    love my 255 km2's and i do 70-100 miles a day on the highway at 70+ mph...quiet smooth and handle nicely for a mt....at around 16k on mine and still at 75%tread remaining...and yes i also wheel mine hard

17. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^ What've you found the 255's offer you aside from height? Have you seen an advantage? They look sweet - I've been reading your build. Side question: Why are you going to 295's?

18. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:29 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ...Whenever I'm not driving offroad. I have a Corolla for a daily driver, but the truck isn't a trailer rig - I still have to drive it to wherever I'm wheeling at, plus I use it plenty for truck shit like hauling mulch and furniture that has nothing to do with offroad use.

255s are narrower, and most rubbing issues are due to width, not diameter, until you get up to around 34" or 35" tires, assuming all other factors are equal.

19. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    If you read up on other 4x4 and expedition sites many argue that a narrow tire set at proper psi will outperform any wide tire in nearly all conditions as long as the sand or muck is not deeper than diff. It's kinda hard to wrap your mind around it, but seems legit and I personally have no real world experience.

20. Dec 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^ Yeah, on paper, after reading everything about them, I'm a believer in the 255's as well. Seems to make sense. BOTH sizes add weight, though. Was wondering abt the real world experience... tough decisions.

Whiskey, those Coopers ride rough? Or is it just the extra ply of the KM2's that make them ride rough?

Ah, jandrews, I always thought your truck was a DD. I should probably buy a Geo Metro for the price of new tires. heheh

Products Discussed in

To Top