1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

270 awning megathread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by scifidelity, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Oct 27, 2022 at 4:49 AM
    scifidelity

scifidelity [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    read my last post, I got the OVS. No regrets. Couldn't justify paying 2x that for the ARB for how seldom I actually use it. If I were on the trail, offroading and tripping all the time, I would have gone with the EZEE AWN.

2. Oct 27, 2022 at 5:05 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    I have both the AluCab and the Kinsmen.

I researched the hell out of both of them. I have used AluCab in the past for an array of different needs. I can’t say enough about them, they are overbuilt and I have flopped my rig against a tree and ran it down it, opened up with no issues. This is attached to my off-road trailer made by CampaUSA.

My Kinsmen is on is attached to my FJC. I have had no complaints with it either. Check them out:
    https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/awning

Overall I wanted to purchase the best overbuilt awning I could find. I have mangled a couple in the past on some tight trails out here on the east coast.

What I like about these 2, is they are most certainly built so you don’t have to use the legs. Not all of them do that well, and given some rain or a wind and you will know what your working with quick.

At the time I purchased these were the 2 top contenders.

Ask any questions you may have.

3. Oct 27, 2022 at 5:07 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    Keep us posted on how it holds up! Good thread

Edit - A couple things to note is that the OVS gives you a larger covered area to work under than some of the other ones. It’s design is one that allows the arms to extend forward towards the front of the cab. Not just stopping at the front door.
    It is hard to beat for the money, my wheeling buddy got one when they came out. I was impressed by the coverage.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  4. Oct 27, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    scifidelity

scifidelity [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TY! Totally agree on the coverage. Turns out 270 degrees is not actually a measure of area...

5. Jan 9, 2023 at 5:29 PM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    Do any of you running your 270 degree awnings also use the privacy sidewalls? If so...

1. Pics please!
    2. How do you like them?
    I'm looking to put a 270 on my XOC w/ privacy sidewalls to add an escape from light in-climate weather but have no experience with a 270 or sidewalls. Only have had a 180. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4150 (1).jpg

Anton_FRO likes this.
  6. Oct 3, 2023 at 5:54 PM
    jv91

jv91 Member

Member:
    I have the freespirit 270 awning and love it

mic_sierra likes this.
  7. Oct 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM
    Anton_FRO

Anton_FRO Front Runner Rep

Member:
    First Name:
    Anton
    Agoura Hills
    Vehicle:
    5 lug slug
    I've had an OVS 270 Awning in storage for about a year now. I am 6'3" and my bed rack hasn't been tall enough (halfway up the cab).
    I had the Front Runner Slimline II but just got a Leitner ACS Tonneau. Still using the Slimline but I'm mounting atop the Leitner, and then I'll finally be able to use the 270!
    Mounting the OVS 270 with Batwing Brackets to the Slimline II. Should be on this time next week, will post pics and a review!

ricphoto likes this.
  8. Nov 7, 2023 at 5:58 AM
    2013XSPX

2013XSPX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper
    Is anyone running a 270 awning with a room with a floor? Looking for feedback. Thanks!

9. Nov 17, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    Anton_FRO

Anton_FRO Front Runner Rep

Member:
    First Name:
    Anton
    Agoura Hills
    Vehicle:
    5 lug slug
    Update! Got my OVS 270 Awning Installed! I got the big boy with the front swing out. No walls or floors at this time, but I plan on picking those up.

Mounted on a Leitner ACS Tonneau Rack System, with a Front Runner Slimline II on top of that (fully filled in with slats). Awning is secured to the Slimline II with Batwing Awning Brackets. It's a bit large for this rack, but the fully filled in platform is super rigid and the Batwing Awning Brackets are beefy too, while also raising the awning an additional 6" or so above the rack to help with clearance. I'm 6'2" and I can just barely move around under there without my head touching. Might do a 1" body lift to help clear the noggin.

It can stand freestanding but I would still throw down the legs in any sort of wind or breeze for the peace of mind. Used it out in the desert with 15-20mph winds and once staked down, it's not moving anywhere.

Pics!

POOLGUY likes this.
  10. Mar 29, 2024 at 3:51 PM
    bluefishone

bluefishone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno NV
    Is anyone using an 88” 23zero 270 on a Tacoma double cab shortbed ? I am looking at buying a very slightly used one that is for sale. I want to ensure it fits as the person selling is using it on a passenger side Long Bed. Thanks! 88” = 7 .4 feet and looks to be good to go for my truck but thought I would send a note to this thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top