1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2lo kit for 2nd gens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Up2NoGood, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Aug 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    APACHETECH

APACHETECH Well-Known Member

Member:
    central pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB OR
    Trd Baja lift Wheelers Aal SCS Ray 10 16x8s Cooper AT3 4S 265/75/16 Trd shift knob Weather tech front and back Heated seats Auto start Immryo mirror mod Mods to install : 4x4 lighted switch Speakers/components/sub and box from Mr. Marv Redline hood struts One piece engine splash gaurds Wish list/looking for : Matching cap Light bar/pods Seat covers Roof rack Step bar Skid plates
    Pm sent. Cant wait to install and try this out.

2. Aug 30, 2018 at 5:55 AM
    Redsyota

Redsyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    15' SPORT 6 SPEED ACLB MGM
    Some of the things...
    I had quite a laugh at work this morning after reading this. Thanks Toyota haha.

3. Aug 30, 2018 at 6:05 AM
    Zacowacko

Zacowacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    TRD Pro Susp., Icon AAL, Bags w/cradles, US OR Bumper w/Smitty, 2Lo Mod
    That means you know what i am talking about, lol.

Off topic, i see you may have an US Offroad bumper too. May check your lower AC line if you do, mine was rubbing through my AC line, took almost two years though. I just took it off and notched it. I gotta post this to their main thread for that, sure it been covered before, but just in case.

20180804_132617.jpg 20180804_155155.jpg

DoorDing and Redsyota[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Aug 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Thanks again Up2NoGood for the order.
    Looking forward to getting this mod for a couple of reasons. There are two places on this island that's really steep and not that straight. Engaging 4Lo is fine until I start making sharper turns. This would allow me to cruise on down with minimal braking and no binding of the gearing. Mauna Kea and Waipio Valley are the two places I visit where I live.

Being at 13,800+ ft, Mauna Kea also sucks the power out of most gas vehicles. Since a good part is paved up there, this gearing would help with power for sure.

Of course it's not needed, but a perk.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    DoorDing likes this.
  5. Sep 1, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    Maximus Gradient

Maximus Gradient Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    East Bay
    Vehicle:
    Red Taco, OR
    Blacked out chrome, TRD exhaust, rear diff. breather, hood/engine bay LED light strip, 235/85R16 DuraTracs
    Just wanted to say this mod is a borderline MUST for any manual transmission out there - it allows the driver to back up steep grades, roll over obstacles more slowly, etc. with less feathering or having to repeatedly depress the pedal to prevent stalling. Dedicated daily drivers may not need it but if the truck sees dirt/gravel roads at all I'd highly recommend this. It would come in handy at times while towing as well.

The installation literally took 10 minutes (used the stock 4x4 selector method; did not install an additional switch) and activation of the module is straightforward; I was testing full-lock U-turns on pavement in no time just to prove to myself the transfer case wouldn't bind up and explode :D

Trailbutter, Drainbung and DoorDing like this.
  6. Sep 2, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    TacoEspecial

TacoEspecial SSSlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    13 Sliver TRD AC
    BAMF RCLT Deaver Fox 2.5 StopTech Dana 60 37s 475:1
    Received it yesterday.
    Just in time for a trip I have planned next weekend.
    Thx!

Drainbung and EatSleepTacos like this.
  7. Sep 3, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Krogen

Krogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puget Sound
    Vehicle:
    14 AC V6 6sp 4x4 Off-Road
    Nice job, Up2NoGood ! ! ! I finally got a bit of time to install the kit. Your instructions are excellent so the install went very well. I'm very impressed with the workmanship and how the module tucks right into place. You clearly put a lot of thought into this.

I took a short run around the area to verify functionality and it works just like you have described. I still need to try out the locker and make sure A-track still works in 4-lo, but that can wait for some time in the mud. From today's experience, I have no doubt it will be just fine.

Krogen

Drainbung likes this.
  8. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    You're welcome and thanks for the order! I've got two of these shipping out to Hawaii tomorrow and one of them is yours :thumbsup: Will update you in PM with the tracking info once I have a label printed off.

Glad you like! I don't have a manual but I've heard countless times that 1st and reverse are geared way to high. Still very useful for me in the automatic but I'm sure it's a treat for you guys with the manuals.

Glad to hear it, hope you enjoy the kit!

Yep there was a good amount of time spent in development right down to even the most minor of details. I'm quite sure you'll have no issues, when the module isn't triggered for 2lo it is designed to have everything function exactly as it would if the module wasn't there. The locker should work just fine in both 4lo and 2lo. Let me know how it goes but I don't expect any surprises.

Drainbung and DoorDing like this.
  9. Sep 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    boulderbean

boulderbean Active Member

Member:
    Received the kit about a month ago - impressed with the build quality as soon as I opened it. I wanted a separate switch so it took a few weeks figuring out what to get and setting aside the time.
    Here is the switch mounted, truck running, headlights off and 2LO not selected (button not pushed)2LO all off.jpg
    Here is the switch with headlights on and 2LO not selected
    2LO headlights on.jpg
    And finally with headlights on and the button pushed in

2LO selected and lights on.jpg
    All work well. I have tested it and like the feature.
    Thanks

Drainbung, DoorDing and Greenbean like this.
  10. Sep 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Dude! Where did you get that switch?

11. Sep 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM
    boulderbean

Member:
  12. Sep 9, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
  13. Sep 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Please tell us how you wired that up!! Looks awesome!!

14. Sep 11, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    Maximus Gradient

Maximus Gradient Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    East Bay
    Vehicle:
    Red Taco, OR
    Blacked out chrome, TRD exhaust, rear diff. breather, hood/engine bay LED light strip, 235/85R16 DuraTracs
    Can confirm e-locker functionality in both 2- and 4-lo, and ATRAC still engages in 4-lo.

Drainbung likes this.
  15. Sep 11, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    APACHETECH

APACHETECH Well-Known Member

Member:
    central pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB OR
    Trd Baja lift Wheelers Aal SCS Ray 10 16x8s Cooper AT3 4S 265/75/16 Trd shift knob Weather tech front and back Heated seats Auto start Immryo mirror mod Mods to install : 4x4 lighted switch Speakers/components/sub and box from Mr. Marv Redline hood struts One piece engine splash gaurds Wish list/looking for : Matching cap Light bar/pods Seat covers Roof rack Step bar Skid plates
    Recieved my 2lo kit today. Thank you up2nogood ! So far my favorite mod. Intructions were clear and easy to follow. Was very easy to install. Took it for test run on washed out mtn road that always gave me troubles in first. Works great.

Drainbung likes this.
  16. Sep 15, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    boulderbean

Member:
    Amo-cat3
    Pretty easy but I would do it differently than I did if was to do this again
    First what I did
    I bought the switch mentioned above
    https://www.ch4x4.com/product/ch4x4-custom-laser-etched-toyota-small-push-switches/
    and an "add a circuit fuse tap" for a mini fuse - not this one but something like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFXA5U...&pd_rd_r=6cc13fea-b901-11e8-87eb-1be919d0e38f
    I was working above the area where the switch was added so replacing the blanking plate, running the wire and installing the switch was no problem (see recommendation below)
    I ran three wires from the switch to the glove box area where the 2LO module will be located. I thought I was running more than I needed at 4 feet of wire (times three) but it ended up being just right.
    From the switch one of the three wires was lugged and then grounded at a 10mm screw behind the glove box.
    The two wires that are "switched on/off" were connected to the two wires for the optional switch provided with the 2LO harness. Internal jumper removed as outlined in the directions with the kit.
    I then ran six feet of wire to the left to end up near the fuse box.
    I used the add-a-circuit at fuse the fuse for the tail lights as this has power when the headlights are on.
    On the switch there are two lights:
    the text 2LO illuminates if/when the headlights are on - whether or not 2LO is selected.
    the driveline icon is illuminated when the switch is pressed IN (2LO is selected)
    NOTE test the connections to the 2LO wire harness - if connected on way the icon is always illuminated, if so swap the two connections so that it is only illuminated when the switch is IN.

Marc70, Greenbean, Amo-cat3 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sep 15, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    boulderbean

Member:
    Recommendation - if I was to do this again.
    I would purchase the larger version of the switch and mount is to the left of the steering wheel as this is more accessible.
    And
    I would not use the add a circuit or wire up the illumination for the text 2LO.
    This way the driveline icon is illuminated when 2LO is selected whether the headlights are on or off and the switch is not illuminated when 2LO is NOT selected.
    Sorry to hijack the thread
    Thanks again to up2nogood, great product.

18. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I don't mind at all, in fact I appreciate you sharing. I've helped a couple of people who wanted the switch added on and here is a bit of info on that... your method is perfectly fine for having the switch lit with the headlights on. Below is a couple of alternate options as well...

Air on Board sells 2lo switches and have a number of color options and carry them for both the left of steering area and also the smaller switch for under the AC. This is what the switches look like... I actually like the one you had made better but that is just personal preference really.

Green 2lo Switch.jpg

And below are the hookup instructions I provided which give a couple of different lighting options for the switch. (note this is ONLY applicable for the Air on Board switches, I don't know the wire coding for the ch4x4 switches so can't confirm the hookup instructions for that one)

2lo switch hookup.jpg

Hopefully between the instructions @boulderbean provided and these it should be helpful for anyone looking to wire in a switch with the module. Very easy to hookup!

19. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Yeah if you are frequently turning the truck on and off and want to remain in 2lo the entire time then the switch would be the better way to go for sure.

Drainbung and DoorDing like this.
  20. Sep 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Thanks for all the info guys!! High quality workmanship this 2lo module!!

Drainbung and Muddinfun like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top