1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen CV Axle Removal Tips/Tricks/Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent Smith, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith [OP] Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I didn't want to post this in the Official 2nd Gen Driveline Vibe thread and clutter it, but I will be doing the ECGS bushing install tomorrow with a number of other suspension upgrades since the front end will be apart.

For those people who have replaced or removed the CV axle(s) before, let me run the below list by you to see if the knowledge from previous posts is correct. If I miss anything, or you have a correction let me know.

1) Before you put on lift or stands, engage 4x4 so when you reinstall the CV axle it isn't as hard to line up the splines.

2) Removing the CV is generally a PITA. Use a BFH with a cable choker, or a slide puller with one jaw tightened under a hose clamp to help pull it.

3)Reinstalling the CV axle, make sure the C clip is oriented with the open side facing down. Make sure C clip is also centered on the axle, not cockeyed. Use thick grease to help hold the C clip in orientation.

4) Make sure axle is reinserted straight in, not off a little to work around hub, suspension, etc. IE have all shit out of your way!

Anything else I should know, or is the above correct, concise and to the point? Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to the fix with the new bushing, just not looking forward to trying to pop out the axle with what I've read.

Crom likes this.
  2. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    I did not use (1), and it did not seem to be a problem at all.

(2) (3) and (4) are correct. The cable with a swing hammer is really easy.

JB7B5331-TO.jpg

3. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    I actually think removing the CV is actually pretty easy. Once you have taken it apart and put it back together. You will find short cuts. Just take the tire off. Sit back and see what you have to and what you don't have to pull off or unbolt.

4. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    But you seem to know what you're doing

5. Mar 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    mattygaff

mattygaff Beat em

Member:
    Subscribed for future reference. How many miles on your current CV?

6. Mar 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    Agent Smith

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    30,400 miles. I'm hoping the needle bearing didn't score the surface of the CV shaft, as that's one part I did NOT buy for this job. Other than that big if, my CV axles haven't given me any noise or problem.

7. Mar 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    Sub'd.

Doing this in a couple weeks. My Axles arrived today. Let us know how it goes and if you gain any insight while doing the job.

8. Mar 5, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    Agent Smith

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Will do, hoping this whole job goes smoothly

9. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    Agent Smith

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I got this job done today, but before I share my hints, I will say I had an advantage. My truck was on a lift, and the CV axle was about five and half feet off the ground.

This job (ECGS bushing install) was also mixed in with cutting old LCA's off, and dropping the coilovers. So I had nothing in my way except the brakes and UCA.

The axle came out really easy. My friend, who owns the garage I was using the lift at, grabbed a large prybar before I could even get my cable choker out. He told me to hold the CV axle and he just pried against the meaty portion of the tulip corner and the diff case. Hardly any force and it just came right out.

Same for reinstall. I made sure the c-clip was greased with the open end of the c facing down. I also greased up the splines and bearing surface a bit to make it a little easier. Felt the splines start to slide into the spider gear and again a helper gave the axle a couple of raps (medium pressure) with a brass hammer and it popped back in with surprising ease.

Make sure to install the axle nut on the end of the axle before rapping it with a hammer, it'll protect the threads. Brass will give before the metal, but don't beat the hell out of it. You'll feel it line up at first, then tap it with a hammer. I can't explain it any better than that, you'll see what I mean when you are actually doing it.

I didn't have my truck in 4 wheel drive and I didn't have a problem. When you torque the axle nut back on, stick a screwdriver into the slots between the front and back of the rotor and let it rest against the caliper. That acts as a stop and I had no problem getting the required torque of 173 ft/lbs.

10. Mar 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    Thanks all for the tips going to do the ECGS bushing tomorrow

11. Aug 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    Dvst8r1K

Dvst8r1K Night-Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen Black Tacoma SS 4.0l 4-dr 4x4
    1" Toytec body-lift, K&N filter, coolant by-pass, mesh cotton screen delete, TTBS, WeatherTech in channel visors, 2.5" Rancho full suspension kit, Oil Catch Can, Toyo 285/70 A/T-2's, 21.5" light bar in grill, blacked-out grill, de-badged entire truck; and again, more to come.....
    Damn!!!! These tips proved invaluable. What would've had me stuck all day; after reading this, everything just came together and slid into place. Hell!!! Lube does work!!!!!
    Thanks TW!!!! Always helpful when in a tight spot!!!! (Stop it)

Island Cruiser likes this.
  12. Aug 12, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    Bwthomas77

Bwthomas77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 dbl cab trd sport 6spd
    Supercharger, flowmaster exhaust, 4runner disc brakes, Volant CAI, ECGS bushing
    I just did this and posted the things I learned... I found getting the axles both out and in a major PITA, especially working by myself on jack stands. That said the C clip being correctly oriented is definitely key to get it back in. I used a curved prybar I have and ziptied it to the CV axle. I then gave it a few taps with a sledge and that got it out. Are you replacing all the seals? The ECGS bushing fixed my woes though.

Here is my posting:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...mplete-things-i-learned.680375/#post-23966945

13. Aug 12, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    Dvst8r1K

Dvst8r1K Night-Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen Black Tacoma SS 4.0l 4-dr 4x4
    1" Toytec body-lift, K&N filter, coolant by-pass, mesh cotton screen delete, TTBS, WeatherTech in channel visors, 2.5" Rancho full suspension kit, Oil Catch Can, Toyo 285/70 A/T-2's, 21.5" light bar in grill, blacked-out grill, de-badged entire truck; and again, more to come.....
    Naw man, I was just replacing the cv shaft. My boot had a hole and I'm wasnt sure if there was anymore grease in there?? I just bought 20x10's and 33's and didn't want to ruin the rims. I did my brakes about a month ago and decided I needed a cv. When finally got my shoes, I did the deed this morning. Man the grease bit really helped. Thanks!! The ring facing down alone wasn't working. Added grease, and boom!!! All else was down hill from there, also on jack stands and cardboard. All tco tho!! Thanks.
    After some new leaf springs, and mayne a full size spare, them bushings are def next.

Products Discussed in

To Top