1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen e-locker help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by RandySavage, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 16, 2017 at 5:00 AM
    RandySavage

RandySavage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Cape Breton Island, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR MT
    Never Satisfied
    I jumped the motor, replugged the wiring then started the truck with it already in 4lo and the lock button on. Just flashing.
    I have done every combination of stopping, starting, turning, swirling, twirling and shes pooched. Going to make my own circuit and run my own wiring so I have a couple questions. Should I supply the actuator straight 12v power or add resistance and how do I get access to/use the factory button.

2. Dec 11, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    RandySavage

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR MT
    Never Satisfied
    Okay new problem, spent weeks on and off sourcing parts and running wire to the rear diff. Spliced into the rear harness with 4/5 wires that connect to the actuator, I left out the negative thinking the factory negative would do the trick. Huge mistake... I could get the locker to lock and unlock with a battery and alligator clips before but now that the wire is running to the cab minus the negative when I hooked up the battery again It locked for good. Used unregulated 12v current from a booster battery.

My rear diff is now stuck in the locked position and the truck nor my manual wiring will unlock it. I think I fried the ECU, I hear a clicking from behind the glove box everytime I press the button and my 4lo is acting strange aswell. Now I have to tear out all my wiring, take the actuator back off and manually unlock it.

Summary- Shit is even more broken. Considering the $450USD cable lock (http://www.chilkatdesigns.com/E-Racer.html)

Save me money and help please!

3. Dec 12, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Pull the locker motor off and with a large flat head, push the lock pin toward the driver side tire to unlock your diff. Now you're unlocked and 4wd ought to behave.

4. Dec 12, 2017 at 4:07 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Try this its worth a shot. Put truck in 4 lo make sure it is engadged. Turn wheels to all the way to the right. Put the truck in neutral and press rear locker see if it engages.

5. Dec 12, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Also must sing lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody while you're doing this.

6. Dec 12, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    :crazy:

7. Dec 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Thought the same of turning the wheels to engage/disengage elocker.

8. Dec 12, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    lol its always the simple things :cheers:

9. Dec 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    wheeliest

wheeliest ///////////////////

Member:
    First Name:
    Json
    TMPE AZ
    Vehicle:
    05-SWB-DCSB-4X4-V6-SR5-SPORT
    NO SWAYBAR, Spacer lift with dirty4's
    Before you go the cable route, why wouldn't you just do your own switch/wiring to the ACT. (as you know the wiring now) and bypass all the OEM security BS of 4LO and what not (Locker any time)

10. Dec 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Tis

11. Dec 14, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    You do realize that the locker actuator does not run on a full 12v right? This is why in the first gen FSM it tells you to test it using the heater relay. Continuously applying 12v to the motor will burn it out, which may have happened in your case. At this point, the only way for you to figure out if it is still good is to follow the procedure in the FSM.

Did you ever check the locker position sensor? This is what tells the computer that the locker is, in fact, engaged. If it can't sense this it will never work. I added a complete locker rear axle to my 1st gen and wired it up to act like a stock truck. When I first tested everything after I installed it, I got the same result as you with the flashing light. I then realized that I actually forgot the hook up the ground wire. Once I did that it worked perfectly. CHECK YOUR GROUNDS. Grounds are almost always the culprit when it comes to electrical issues. They are also usually pretty easy to fix.

06Tacooo likes this.
  12. Dec 16, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    RandySavage

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR MT
    Never Satisfied
    If people just read my previous comments most of this stuff has already been tried, I believe I burnt my 4WD control ECU and the actuator. My truck will not go into 4 LO and a buzzing sound comes from the computer behind the dash at startup, Also a clicking noise whenever I go turn the 4wd knob or try the locker button.

I'll probably go with the cable locker but that doesn't fix 4LO and Totoya is going to charge me a fortune to fix/replace that computer.

13. Dec 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    You never confirmed the operation of the contact sensor in the diff. You can test it with an ohm meter.

Here is one theory (prior to nothing working now):
    You said you could unlock it with the button, but not lock it. If it was able to unlock, then the locker ECU works. It functions the same way locking as it does unlocking, just sends power down the opposite wire.

There are 2 things that could cause it to unlock but not lock. One is the 4L detection and one is the contact sensor. To rule out the 4L detection, perform the “grey wire mod”. If you don’t want to permanently do this, then just temporarily ground that wire. For testing the detection switch in the diff, you need to follow the specs in the FSM.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Bruce988jl

Bruce988jl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Off-Road & 05 Mitsubishi Evo
  15. Dec 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    tathambenjamin

tathambenjamin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ben
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner SR5
    -2.5/1.5 spacer lift -270/65/17 Cooper AT3
    I have experienced all the same issues as yours with a couple exceptions:

1) If I have the actuator disconnected from the truck, it operates in both directions.

2) When reconnected, all I get is flashing light.

Products Discussed in

To Top